This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kal-el_Girl
    THE worst episode of the whole season.
    I can think of many episodes worse then Thirst. Sure it was corny, but harmless.

Comment

• 2 Zorro costumes out of 10 -- the only thing saving it from being a 1 was Chloe getting her Daily Planet job and narrating the plot of the episode. Vampires on Smallville... whose idea was this?!

Comment

• Whilst waitng for season 10 to continue I have been watching old episodes. I was interested to see what you all thought of this one.

I appear to be in the minority though because I absolutely loved it. I am a fan of Buffy and Spike so I fell for the sentimental side of things. I note from having watched it with the commentary as well that the producers didn't like it much either. Oh well...I will be alone on this one.

Comment

• Ugh!

Just no. I hated it.

Comment

• I didn't like this episode and I like Lana AND Lana & Clark. Lana is no more self-involved than any one else on Smallville and I don't understand why she gets a bad rap. Lana has a strong, dark side to her personality and I look at these early seasons of Smallville as her being on a journey to find herself just like Clark and Lex. At any rate, she can diss Clark in a heartbeat and who can blame her? She's been infinitely patient with his lame excuses and cold feet. That said, I still didn't like the episode. The only bright spot was Carrie Fisher and am I the only one who is tired of James Marsters yet? He wore out his welcome as Spike with me on Buffy, ditto for Angel. I'm glad he didn't take over Smallville, too.

Comment

• Zzzz...Lana as a "vampire"...boring and poorly acted.

Comment

• I kinda liked this.

I know that probably sounds wacky, since I did NOT care for the whole Lana Possessed arc of the previous season, but I kinda liked this. The reason, I imagine, stems from all the gentle pokes to "Buffy The Vampire Slayer", another series I enjoyed greatly.

Couple of minor quibbles....given that Lana burned Buffy to death, one would think someone might mention holding Lana to account for this. If no one believed the sorority girls' histerical tale of Buffy getting cremated, Chloe wouldn't be able to put it in her article.

Also, given Clark's literal resurrection in the previous episode, Lex should have made a comment or two. "Vampires? Of course there's no such thing as vampires. Just because you're immortal doesn't mean we should open our minds."

Comment

• I didn't find this epsiode to be a giant travesty..., at least there were some
                  great intentionally cheesey bits. Lana doesn't really seem to like Clark all that much though, even though she loves him, and I'm still puzzled by why she didn't even tell him she was going to college. Wait, no I'm not - Lana doen't really say goodbye to people's faces, does she?

And nothing beats seeing Lana heat-gasming at her own reflection. Finally they reveal what some people always suspected
                  Last edited by Arbar; 07-13-2012, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• This episode is SO bad.......it's quite entertaining But I actually like this one better than Spell probably because I can stomach it better. Though I'll admit it's saving grace was James Marsters as Professor Fine and Chloe's narrating. But the plot and FotW Buffy was SO cheesy it was quite laughable.

4 out of 10

Comment

• There were some serious (minor) subplots involving Chloe and Prof. Fine buried beneath the sorority toothsuckers and Clark's extremely large Zorro cape ... but you could be forgiven for forgetting all about them.

It was all about SV's horribly written Buffy knockoff ep., where Lana's reasonable search for student housing near Met U. campus leads to another Lana-venture with the supernatural. The Walking Dead it ain't, haha!

Was it horribly written? Yes. Arguably the worst ep. of the season? Yes. But ..... it's an episode I hate to love -- or love to hate. They bent the 'no flights no tights' rule by opting for the cape and cowl. And ... of all the costumes he picks ... it's Zorro! Really, Clark? Zorro?! You should have reconsidered, Senor Kent.

It was terribly written -- but cheesily enjoyable. By the time the sorority had their big Halloween party (and Lana was sworn to the dark legions of the vampiric undead) I could care less if 80% of this ep. did little to further Clark's destiny. No one could expect him to do so -- when he was wearing a get-up like he had on! I guess he beats Bruce Wayne in the 'cape-and-cowl' department after Thirst.

You need a multi-stage rating system for this one.

Writing: 2/10. If not for the Chloe and Fine tiny subplots, it would have no redeeming plot line. Shameless Buffy knock-off.

Entertainment: 8/10 I'm being very generous, giving them a pass on the laughable writing. Bonus point for taking a 'writing be dammed: we wanna make a SV Halloween episode' attitude with this ep.

Whether you hate it -- or love it -- you'd be right!

Comment

• Well I'm getting ready for the rewatch so I figured I would start with this episode

Obviously the writing is comical and this episode doesn't take itself seriously at all but as previous posters have stated, Its Entertaining!!!
                        Its very light on the mythology but at the end of the day, these episodes are why I love Smallville.

The Pros.
                        Clark in the Zorro costume
                        Chloe and the Daily Planet stuff
                        Dr. Milton Fine (Braniac) and his schemes
                        The acting

The Cons.
                        Lana taking this sorority seriously
                        Lex being involved in a Vampire project
                        Barely any Clark Kent

All in all I like this episode, its clearly one of the worst episodes of the show, BUT!!! It doesn't get me mad, its a small episode that's entertaining and I enjoy it for what it is.

Comment

• Chloe gets a job at the Daily Planet (her lifelong dream), which leads to the introduction of the DP basement set, that became part of the remainder of the show's run. Milton Fine (Brainiac) asks Clark if he could bring himself to stop Lex, if he proved a danger to the world (setting up Brainiac using Lex as a vessel for Zod). We've got Carrie Fisher appearing as the editor-in-chief of the DP. We've got Clark, Lana and Chloe adjusting to their new situations as college students. Lana announces that she'll study at Met U, while Clark tries to convince her to attend the same school as him. She declines, as Clark's university doesn't have the courses, that she's interested in. Lana was the voice of reason, I couldn't believe it. When it comes to education, you have to make the right choices for you, based on what you're interested in. Not based on where your girlfriend/boyfriend goes. Unfortunately, we're interupted in all this good stuff, with a silly vampire story.

In 1999, a girl was trapped in a cave and bitten by meteor infected vampire bats (an animal not indiginous to Kansas). After she's rescued by LuthorCorp, a LuthorCorp employee is bitten by one of the bats and become a vampire. However, he's cured. For some reason, it never occurred to the LuthorCorp scientists, to check up the girl who got trapped in the cave. The premise falls apart right there. Unless we're supposed to think that this is part of some LuthorCorp experiment and they've simply left "Buffy" alone for unknown reasons.

Naturally, Lana ends up falling prey to them. So, we're left with another "Clark needs to save Lana" plot.

The episode was a request from the network, that wanted a Halloween episode and a christmas episode. So, we can't simply blame the writers, for the episode. However, they do have Chloe getting a job at the Daily Planet, thanks to a story about vampires (which Fisher's character even notes is more suitable for the Inquisitor). Which is unfortunate. This episode was followed by "Exposed", which had Chloe (along with Lois and Clark) investigating the murder of a stripper (committed by the son of a foreign diplomat). It would've been better, if they had gotten Chloe getting a DP job, for writing about something like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by jon-el87
                            However, they do have Chloe getting a job at the Daily Planet, thanks to a story about vampires (which Fisher's character even notes is more suitable for the Inquisitor). Which is unfortunate. This episode was followed by "Exposed", which had Chloe (along with Lois and Clark) investigating the murder of a stripper (committed by the son of a foreign diplomat). It would've been better, if they had gotten Chloe getting a DP job, for writing about something like that.
                            Well to be fair, most of the so-called legwork in the episode Exposed is actually done by Lois & Clark, for the most part Chloe was just writing down the results.

Comment

• There's a little moment where Lex walks down his corridor and Clark (dressed as Carlos) pops out of nowhere yelling "Lex!". That's the only fun bit of Thirst. Along with Allison in the school girl outfit of course...

Best way to watch this episode is while listening to the DVD commentary. It's nice to hear showrunners be upfront about making a crappy episode instead of trying to glamorize it. I still can't believe this was the episode that Carrie Fisher got to appear in.

Comment

• One of my greatest regrets was not getting to interview Carrie Fisher about this episode. I loved Leia so much.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎