Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duncan Kane

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone else miss Duncan?... I like couldnt stand him for a very long time..but I kinda miss Season 1 Duncan

Comment

• I don't miss Duncan at all. His rare moments of active behavior were far outweighed by his periods of inactivity. His rage behavior made me think of the chimpanzee enclosure at the zoo when one chimp wants what another one has.

Duncan was capable of grand gestures. He could send Meg a huge bouquet of exotic flowers, and arrange a special fortune cookie for Veronica, but Meg and Veronica each had to react to the gestures, and not to Duncan.

Maybe it's because he was raised in a situation where his wants and needs were always met. He didn't have to ask for things, they just came his way. He rarely had to account for his actions, either. The punishments his parents handed out were mild in comparison to what the other kids faced. (Contrast Veronica knowing she'd disappointed Keith with Duncan and his behavior toward his parents. Or Logan and his beatings from Aaron.)

I just can't see Duncan standing up to someone and asking 'What can I do to make it better?'.

Comment

• Originally posted by LexLuthorMetropolis
        Duncan Kane. A key character, but what kind of role does he truly play in Veronica's life?

My opinion on this character is mixed. I'm intrigued by the fact that V was dating him, but I'm surprised that he isn't really adding much to the story at least not during my viewings thus far. I'm enjoying the fact that he knows more than he's letting off but he's just not impressing me.
        Since the pilot episode I never liked Duncan. I just thought he was the most boring character in the Veronica Mars universe. I mean heck, even Cliff and Vinnie won my heart and they were on the show a mere fraction of the time we saw Duncan!!

I was actually really excited at the prospect of him leaving the show. And I liked how you described it "he isn't really adding much to the story". Although I don't think we could competely eliminate him from the story, he was kind of just "there" for me. His presence onscreen did not impress me either. Now it would be a good question as to whether that's more about the character or the actor.....

Comment

• Originally posted by LaineSV11
          Duncan was practically like..(exaggeration) "Did you murder the guy I ordered you to murder?" And then he lookes at his baby and smiles. He was evil for a second, then his baby cam make him smile. I liked that scene, I don't know why.
          Completely hilarious! That is so totally how I saw this scene.

----- Added 6 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by SweetOne
          Since the pilot episode I never liked Duncan. I just thought he was the most boring character in the Veronica Mars universe. I mean heck, even Cliff and Vinnie won my heart and they were on the show a mere fraction of the time we saw Duncan!!

I was actually really excited at the prospect of him leaving the show. And I liked how you described it "he isn't really adding much to the story". Although I don't think we could competely eliminate him from the story, he was kind of just "there" for me. His presence onscreen did not impress me either. Now it would be a good question as to whether that's more about the character or the actor.....
          I very much felt this same way for awhile. I do not like Duncan in season 1. Obviously he is key to the story, being Lilly's brother, Veronica's ex and possible brother, etc,. but he was just...ugh. I'm watching the first season with a friend now, and she pointed out that in S1, he looks either angry or sad. All the time. And it's true.

Now, S2 Duncan is a different story. Don't get me wrong: LoVe was meant to be. I usually HATE seeing V with anyone other than Logan. But I actually like, at least watching it now, the episodes where Duncan and V were going out in S2. Duncan is happier, and he is so cute with her. Maybe it's better because I know she is going to end up with Logan again anyway, I don't know.

It doesn't upset me much that Duncan left the show. What really got to me was the circumstances. It is so sad to think that this child is technically a victim of kidnap, and would have otherwise been a victim to abuse, that it will never know it's mom. In the episode where V helps Duncan "kidnap" his daughter, the baby thinks the blonde girl at the end, who is supposed to be a decoy, is Veronica. It's really sad to me that this little baby made a connection with V, but will never see her. The whole thing just kind of sucks. Obviously it isn't real, and it is hardly mentioned after S2, but still.
          Last edited by comptonassmel; 10-16-2008, 08:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• It didn't matter where or when, I didn't like Duncan. He just annoyed the crap outta me. As far as him looking happy in S2, I don't know.

As far as I'm concerned, Duncan was a gigantic black hole, sucking everything in and returning nothing. Consider that while he looked happier, V didn't. She wasn't getting much out of the relationship, and that's another reason I think she was using Duncan to keep Logan at bay.

Comment

• I am kind of neutral on the Duncan issue. I liked him at some points and not at others. But I absolutely LOVE how much some people hate him. I just find it funny that they created this character that they want fans to like, and so many people just completely hate him. Was he written off the show due to lack of fan interest?

Comment

• I don't know. Perhaps lack of interest, perhaps he had other commitments. Perhaps he'd reached the end of his use as a character. And on that note, I'm off to bed. Nite!

Comment

• He did kind of lose his use as a character. LoVe was too good for DoVe to last forever, and once Lilly's murder was solved, the Kane's kind of disappeared from the show altogether.

Night! I should get to bed too...

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎