No announcement yet.

A Lifetime of Tomorrows

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 4: The Club

As Clark prepared to use his key to open the gate, Lana asked, “Where did you get that? Isn’t Lionel Luthor in charge of the caves?”

“Yeah, he’s the official conservator of the caves according to the state, but Lex was the one who made sure I could get in whenever I want…not that a locked gate would stop me, but it’s nice to have an excuse should anyone else come out to visit while I’m here.”

Walking through the opened gate, Lana said, “I’ve never really spent any time down here, so it’s nice to have a guided tour from someone who has.”

“It’s pretty impressive, Lana,” Pete said. “Clark doesn’t bring me here often, but its…"

RRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Clark slumped in pain, bringing his hands to his ears in a futile attempt to mute the high-pitched shriek. He hadn’t heard this sound in months, but had no trouble recalling what caused it.

“Clark, what’s wrong?” Lana yelled, while Pete grabbed Clark by the shoulders to keep him upright.

Struggling to speak through gritted teeth, Clark rasped, “The key…arrrrggh…it hurts. You two stay here…I’ll be back…gotta get the key!” In a flash, Clark was gone.

“What’s this key that Clark’s talking about, Pete?”

“It’s this octagonally-shaped metal disk that originally came with his spaceship. It seems to act like a…a link between Clark and…well, I better let him tell you that part.”

“Is he going to be okay?”

“Yeah. Clark says when the key calls him, it produces a high-pitched shriek that can only be heard by him. He says it really hurts, but cuts off as soon as he gets to the key and it doesn’t cause any damage. As fast as he moves, he’s home already, so we should see him back pretty quickly.

“Anyway, Lana…welcome to the ‘I Know Clark’s Secret Club.’ I guess now that there’s two of us, we should come up with a secret handshake or something,” Pete chuckled. “I’m glad Clark finally grew himself a brain and told you." After looking off into the distance for a few seconds, Pete's eyes returned to Lana's and he said, "There are a few things about this secret you should know that probably haven’t occurred to Clark, seeing as how he lives inside the secret.”

“This sounds like an initiation. So…”

“While you’re the center of his world, and I like to think I’m fairly close to it...if Clark even thinks someone needs help that only he can provide, he’ll drop what he’s doing with you in a heartbeat to go to the rescue. You remember freshman year when you and Clark were going to that Radiohead concert? He left you at the Beanery ‘cause he knew Sean Kelvin was after Chloe. I didn’t mind ‘cause you let me have the limo, but he saved Chloe at the cost of losing his first chance with you.”

“I’d forgotten about that! So that’s what happened. That’s so…so…noble! Here’s this sweet guy I was starting to think about in a more-than-friendly way and he just abandoned me…I was so disappointed. I blamed him, and he would never say what happened.”

“He will always sacrifice his interests for the greater good, and at times that gets difficult to take, not knowing if you can count on him. Every once in a while you‘re really gonna want him to be selfish, to let some else handle the problem, but it‘s not gonna happen.

“Second, and this is something you may have experienced already, Clark is seriously overprotective when it comes to his friends. If he thinks were doing something dangerous or stupid, he’ll try and stop us, and he’s not above using his abilities to do so. The really annoying thing about that is, he’s usually right. Still, unless it’s a matter of life and death, I’d like the freedom to make my own mistakes. I mean, three parents is one too many for me.

"Third, this secret is much tougher to keep than you’d think. Every time he does something great, you want to tell the world about it. But not only do you have to keep it secret, you’re gonna have to lie to people about what really happened. Sometimes, a credible lie is unbelievably difficult to come up with.

"Finally, there’s jealousy. This is one I have a very rough time with myself. Why him? You begin to think of the things you’d be doing if you were from Krypton. Me? I be the star tailback and linebacker in the fall, star point-guard in the winter, and ace pitcher and clean-up hitter in the spring. The girls would be on me like white on rice. Lana, what I‘m saying is that there are times when it‘s very difficult to be next to Clark, ‘cause that means you‘re in his shadow…and you‘ll always be less than he is.

"If you need to talk about being a secret keeper, give me a call, I know what it's like...well, I’ve got a flashlight, let’s take a look inside while we wait for Speedy Gonzalez.”

Comments are always appreciated!
    Last edited by Cardinal; 08-07-2005, 08:23 PM.

Comment

That was a wonderful scene, Cardinal! I loved Pete preparing Lana for what it is like to keep Clark's secret. I haven't seen anyone else do that kind of scene to that degree. Great idea. Keep it up.

I wonder why Jor-El wants Clark now?

Comment

Be patient young Padawan! I'm fairly sure that's in the next chapter. It was supposed to be in this chapter, but the Pete/Lana scene just kept growing.

Comment

Okay, I'm patient....... I'll check back in a few hours????
          No, seriously, I'm glad the Pete/Lana scene kept growing. It was really cool.

Comment

Yeah the Pete and Lana scene was really cool! Looks liked I missed a few updates! It was good to catch up! PPMS!!

Comment

Yeah, that was a good Pete/Lana scene. I am glad Pete now has somebody to talk to about Clark.

Comment

yay!!!just read this story is really cool! I LOVE IT!!!IT'S AWESOME!!!great chapter! PPMS!!!

Comment

awesome chapter

Comment

Chapter 5: Helpless

Streaking under the dangling “Kent Farm” wooden sign and up the dirt lane to the homestead, Clark was surprised when the ringing cut off before he reached the toolbox in which the key was located. Upon seeing his mother bent over the crumpled form of his father on hard-packed dirt in front of the barn, his surprise turned to a fear, bordering on panic.

“MOM,” Clark yelled.

“Clark! I’m so glad you’re here…”

“What happened? Is it another heart attack?” Clark asked, kneeling down beside his father’s prostrate form.

“While trying to put up the weathervane, he grabbed his head in pain, slipped, and fell.”

“I just x-rayed him, and I can’t tell what’s wrong…at least he’s breathing! Have you called 911? I’d pick him up and take him to the hospital myself, but…if it’s a spinal injury…”

“Yeah, moving him might make it worse, and yes, the paramedics are on the way.”

“When did this happen?”

“A couple of minutes ago, Clark. As soon as I saw he wasn’t getting up, I ran into the house and called…I came back out just before you ran up the drive.

“How did you know to come back, Clark? Weren‘t you at the caves with Lana?”

“We were just entering the compound when the key started ringing again. I told Lana and Pete to wait and that I’d be right back. The strange thing is…the ringing cut off as soon as I got to the barn, normally it doesn’t relent until I have it in my hand.”

“Maybe…maybe Jor-El was calling you to help your father, Clark!”

“Well, I guess that’s possible, but…how’d Jor-El know Dad had fallen?” Pacing back and forth, as is his wont when thinking, Clark said, “You said he grabbed his head in pain…I wonder…” Jor-El, you’ve got some explaining to do, biological father or not!

After collecting the key from the barn, Clark said, “Mom, I’ve gotta go back to the caves to let Lana and Pete know what’s going on…don’t worry, I’ll be back before you have time to miss me.” With a kiss on her forehead, he was gone.

--------------------

Seconds later…

“…I think it should go like this. First, we slap the backs of our right hands together…like this…then we wrap our fingers around the base of the other ‘s thumb…like that…nothing complicated.”

Lana was all giggles from her first attempt at the “secret handshake.” When Clark stepped into the reflected light coming from Pete’s flashlight, she said, “Hey, it’s Speedy Gonzalez, the fastest mouse in all of Mexico.” But when Clark came in close, all levity dropped from Lana's countenance as she asked, “What’s wrong, Clark? Is something wrong with this key thingy?”

“I…it’s m…my dad. He fell off the roof of the barn. The paramedics are taking him to the hospital. I just came back to tell you, before I go back to be with Mom.”

“No problem,” Pete said, “we’ll meet you at the hospital.”

You’ll meet him at the hospital, I’m going with him,” Lana asserted. Wherever and whenever Clark needs me, I’m going to be there, from now on.

“Thanks, Lana, but…”

Hands on her hips, weight shifted to her right side, Lana growled, “But me no buts, Clark Kent! I’m going with you.” Then, softer, sweeter, “It’s us now. Remember? What happens to you, happens to me.”

Turning to face Lana squarely while holding up his hands in an attempt to slow this runaway train, Clark said, “Normally, there’s nothing I’d love more…but I need you to get the truck out of here. If someone finds the truck out here and were back at the farm, that's gonna raise questions. Those questions will probably come from one of the Luthors, and that's something I could do without right now.

"Please, take the truck to the hospital, or if you want, take it to my house and get your SUV. Either way, we can’t leave the truck here for someone to find.”

Pete started edging his way out of the caves, not wanting to be between these two right now, because, from the look on her face, it appeared that Lana’s going to kick Clark’s behind! “See ya’ later, Clark,” Pete mumbled, knowing neither combatant had heard him.

“Then why don’t you drive the truck. That way, we can stay together, and I can…”

Clark remorselessly pressed his argument home, “Again, under normal conditions, there’s nothing I’d prefer than you by my side…always…but right now, my mom needs me more, and I want to get back before the paramedics show up so there aren’t any questions about my sudden appearance from them.

“Please, Lana?” Clark asked, blue eyes locking with hazel, each needing the other to understand.

“Okay,” she whispered, finally falling into his arms. “I’ll do it. For you.”

As Lana drove the truck away from the caves, with Clark locking up before his sprint back home, Lana said, “Anything for you.”

As always, comments are appreciated!
                    Last edited by Cardinal; 08-31-2005, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Great update! IT was so funny when Pete snuck out of the room and just whispered his good bye!!

PPMS!!

Comment

I JUST READ THIS THREAD AND AHAHHAAHAHAHHAAH

I LOVE THIS!!!

"Clark, what do these caves have to do with your family or your planet? Creepton, Crapton…what’d you call it?” Lana asked, eyes filled with mirth."

CRAPTON!!! HAHAHAHAAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHA
                        OH GOD THAT IS LIKE THE FUNNIEST THING EVER!

LOVE HOW PETE SNEAKS OUT!

crapton.....

Comment

Great update. At least Jonathan is still alive. Poor Clark, trying to get Lana to co-operate. At least she finally gives in. Keep it coming...

Comment

great update!!!Pete and Lana with the handshake...jejejePPMS!!!

Comment

Yeah...I am still laughing over Crapton and I read it two days ago!

I can only imaging how funny it would be to see Lana and Pete trying to perform a secret handshake!

Post more soon!

Comment

Hey, Cardinal - This story isn't over, is it? where's the update? I know you jumped ahead to the proposal in your other thread, but don't we get more here? Please????? I mean, it's been 4 DAYS!! (Even 4Ever only makes us wait 3!

What's happening to Jonathan? What other consequences will follow from the CLANA? PPMS!!!!!
                                Last edited by SVsleuth; 08-12-2005, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎