No announcement yet.

A Lifetime of Tomorrows

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Lifetime of Tomorrows

Author’s Note: Here we go, boys and girls! This fic starts the day after my last fic, "At Last!" Yeah, that means "At Last!" is likely done. The idea for this fic is to start with Jonathon B.A.S.E. jumping from the top of the barn, just like at the beginning of Legacy…and then taking a radical turn in an unknown direction (sounds kinda like National Lampoon‘s Vacation, hope I can find my way better than Clark Griswold). Forget reworking season 3, though I may incorporate some ideas from the show.

Disclaimer: I still have no ownership of Smallville or its characters.

Chapter 1: The Next Day

Advancing rapidly toward the barn and past Lana’s maroon SUV, Martha was alarmed to see her husband, Jonathon, astride the top of the barn roof, weathervane in one hand and a tool belt around his waist.

“Jonathon, what are you doing up there? Clark should be doing that,” Martha said, speaking loudly enough to be heard over the morning sounds of a farm.

“Sweetheart, I’m fine. Would you stop worrying?” Jonathon answered exasperatedly.

As he grabbed his pliers and strolled over to attach the weathervane to the cupola, Martha replied, “Jonathon, please be careful!”

Rebutting her concern with condescension, Jonathon shot back, “Martha, my father and I built this roof. I could walk this roof with my eyes closed.” With that, he planted the vane in the mount on top of the cupola.

Having picked up some stubbornness of her own from being around three generations of Kent men, Martha kept up her assault, “You know what the doctor said about taking it easy.”

“You know, the last time I checked, the doctor didn’t have a farm to run.”

RRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Grabbing his head as though to prevent its imminent explosion, Jonathon screamed, staggered, and when his last-ditch grab at the weathervane only served to pull it loose from its as yet unsecured mooring, he tumbled towards the ground with nothing below him but the hard, remorseless, packed-dirt driveway.

“CLARK!!!” Martha screamed. Only then did she remember that Clark had done his chores early and taken Lana to the Kawatche caves in the Kents’ red pickup.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 08-06-2005, 11:22 PM.

okay i'm following...so what's gonna happen to Jonathon?

PPMS!!

Comment

I'm making this one up as I go, there's no road map, etcetera...but this is the first consequence of Clana...instead of being out in the field where he could race in and make a saving grab, Clark's with his honey in the caves, where even super-hearing won't hear Martha!

Pray for Jonathon!

Does anyone know if there's an official spelling for Kawachie?

Yeah, that first chapter was short, but I wanted to stop with a small cliffie. That was really more like a prologue or something.

A longer update is on the way...
      Last edited by Cardinal; 08-06-2005, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal
        Does anyone know if there's an official spelling for Kawachie?
        It's Kawatche The season 3 episode insert spells it out.

Great fic so far, Cardinal

Comment

Yipes! CLANA causes Clark to be distracted from what he otherwise would have been doing to save people? I didn't anticipate that. Worried about Jonathan. Will he make it? Can't wait to see where you take this.

Comment

Chapter 2: Can Pete Buy a Clue For $200, Pat?

Meanwhile…

As the truck rolled down some nameless, two-lane highway on the edge of Smallville, Lana snuggled close to Clark as he drove, teasing, “Clark, what do these caves have to do with your family or your planet? Creepton, Crapton…what’d you call it?” Lana asked, eyes filled with mirth.

Rolling his eyes skyward, Clark answered, “It’s called Krypton, K - R - Y - P - T - O - N! That’s how I think it’s spelled, anyway, since I’ve never seen it written in English. This is the third time, at least, that I’ve told you.” Man, I tell Lana one itsy-bitsy secret, and she loosens up like we’ve been dating forever! She’s never ragged on me like this! Chloe, maybe, Pete, definitely, but Lana? Shy, retiring, stick-her-nose-in-a-book, Lana? Where has she been all my life?

“Umm…Clark…Earth to Clark…when’s Pete supposed to meet us?”

“Pete’s probably waiting for us already. When I woke him up with a phone call this morning and told him something big was up, he could wait to get started. He has no idea why I want him to meet us today, though.”

“Why are we meeting Pete? I thought it was going to be just us today,” Lana pouted slightly. At least it’s not Chloe. She couldn’t miss the fact that Clark and I are back together, and she always screws things up between us every time we get close. Well, not this time!

Another thing I’ve just thought of: I found out Clark’s secret before Chloe did! Hah!

I can’t believe myself. With all the things Chloe and her dad have done for me and as close as we have become friend-wise, all it took was one thought of her getting between Clark and me, and I was ready to b*tch slap her into next week.

“…almost everything about my secret, and will be able to corroborate some of my story. He’s the one who found my spaceship after it disappeared the day of the tornado.”

“Clark,” Lana whispered, “your story doesn’t need corroboration. I trust you.”

“Wow…you trust me, you really trust me.” I feel like Sally Field at the Oscars! “This is gonna take some getting used to, but I think I like it already! It sure beats the alternative.”

“Think? You’d better do more than think, Mister. I’ll have you know I intend to trust you for very long time, ” she said, leaning her head on his shoulder.

As the truck pulled up to the locked gate, already waiting was an electric-blue 60’s classic. Leaning against the quarter-panel was its owner, Pete Ross. When the truck pulled to a stop, Clark got out and super-sped around to the passenger side to open the door for Lana. As Pete’s eyes began to bulge out his head, he said, “Clark, what are you doing?? That’s Lana in there, not your mom!”

While handing Lana down out of the truck, Clark replied, “Yeah, Pete, it is Lana. Man, nothing gets by you, does it?”

“Hi, Pete!” Lana called.

“Oh…hi, Lana,” answered a seriously distracted Pete. “Clark, can I talk to you for a minute?” Pete asked, dragging a bemused Clark to the other side of the car. “You’re gonna blow everything using your speed in front of her; how are you gonna explain the Human Blur?”

Turning back to Lana, Clark asked, “Dearest?”

“Yes, Babydoll?”

"Do I need to explain to you about my speed?”

Dearest???” Pete blurted out.

Smiling at what Clark was doing to Pete, she said, “No, Clark, I think you’ve already told me everything. Thank you for asking, though.”

“Wait…you told…EVERYTHING? But…I…,” stammered a helpless Pete “And what’s with the Dearest and Babydoll stuff? I thought you two were on the outs.”

“Well, Pete, there’ve been a few changes since I saw you last. Changes that are tectonic in nature. Let me fill you in…”
            Last edited by Cardinal; 10-25-2005, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Another thing I’ve just thought of: I found out Clark’s secret before Chloe did! Hah!

I can’t believe myself. With all the things Chloe and her dad have done for me and as close as we have become friend-wise, all it took was one thought of her getting between Clark and I, and I was ready to b*tch slap her into next week. [/I]

HA!

Poor Pete...so confused.

I like where this story is going. Consequences from Clana...hmmmm

Comment

aweome start

Comment

Concurrently with Chapters 1 and 2.

Chapter 3: Another One Bites the Dust

Lex sat behind his desk, sipping a mug of coffee while reading the Metropolis Business Journal. “It’s too bad Carrie Cassel didn’t know how my father responds to people who go back on a deal,” Lex murmured to himself. It may have taken him a while, Lex thought, but the results were inevitable.

There, in a small corner of page 3, was the article. “MBJ Editor Cassel Arrested on Charges of Blackmail” the headline read. Lex grinned wolfishly and thought, The b*tch got what’s coming to her, and I didn’t even get my hands dirty, heh! Thinking back to those long legs shooting from her red designer suit like roses from a vase, he continued, What a waste!

Chirrrrrp! Chirrrrrp! Picking up his cellphone, Lex looked at the caller ID. “LuthorCorp security, what could they be calling me about this early?” Activating his phone to accept the call, Lex said, “Lex Luthor here, what‘s gone wrong now?”

“Mr. Luthor, this is Jim Symonds, the morning security supervisor at LuthorCorp headquarters. I…I don’t know how to tell you this sir…”

“I find using my mouth is the best way to talk, Symonds…spit it out.”

“It’s your father…he’s been shot!”

“Where is he…what hospital?” Lex asked, his face suffused with a look that combined panic and joy.

“Umm…sorry for not making it clear, Mr. Luthor, but Lionel Luthor is dead. He was shot sometime during the night and by the time he was found by the early-morning cleaning crew…he was gone.”

“Have you notified anyone yet? The police, the media, anyone?”

“N, no sir! We sealed his office and swept the building, looking for a possible assailant. Not having found anyone, we called you first. It’s your call on how you want to handle this, Mr. Luthor.”

Searching the building after he died. What’s that farm saying of Clark’s, ‘It’s like closing the barn door after the cow’s already escaped?’ Something like that anyway. I swear, the people running LuthorCorp security must be related to the morons running security at the mansion. I can’t remember how many people have just walked right into my office with a gun. Pete Ross, Jonathon Kent…the list goes on.

“I’ll be in Metropolis as soon as possible. Keep the office sealed, in fact don’t let anyone on that floor. Get some hazmat suits and pretend there’s been a chemical spill if you have to, I don’t want anyone, including my father’s secretary, to know what’s happened until I say so, got it Symonds?”

“Yes, Mr. Luthor, it’ll be as you say.”

Disconnecting one call, Lex made another. “Get the chopper ready, I need to go to Metropolis immediately.”

----------------------

Comments always welcome!
                  Last edited by Cardinal; 08-07-2005, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Lionel is dead? Wow...that is crazy!

I can’t remember how many people have just walked right into my office with a gun. Pete Ross, Jonathon Kent…the list goes on.

Heehee...so true

Comment

Looks like he didn't get that late-night phone call after all!

I had considered doing a whole "who shot J.R." storyline like in Dallas, but that's already been done back when Sheriff Ethan shot him.
                      Last edited by Cardinal; 08-07-2005, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Just caught up, Cardinal. Here's the first thing that had me

“Clark, what do these caves have to do with your family or your planet? Creepton, Crapton…what’d you call it?” Lana asked, eyes filled with mirth.
                        I would have never thought to have Lana say that, but I was literally

Next favorite line:
                        Pete: “Clark, what are you doing?? That’s Lana in there, not your mom!”
                        And, Lionel's dead? Hmmm. I wonder where you'll go with this. I'll keep reading..... & laughing.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, getting past their relationship hangup has relaxed Clark and Lana in a major way. Now that they're not worried about what they aren't talking about, they can let loose.

As far as Lionel goes, I've wanted someone to kill that rat bast*rd for a l-o-o-o-ng time! I'm pleased to have finished him off.

Besides, the Lex-Lionel storyline was gonna be hard for me to do, and Lex can do all of Lionel's stuff with respect to Clark's secret. Who knows, maybe Lex will go bad faster this way, or maybe Clark & Co. will be able to get Lex to renounce the Dark Side now that he's not fighting his old man.

Comment

Noooooooo John Glover's my hero =(

Comment

keep the story up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i lvoe it, hope jonathon is ok though

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎