No announcement yet.

At Last!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 3: I’ve Already Run Out of Sucky Chapter Names

“Flying? You mean arms-straight-out-like-a-plane’s-wings flying?

“I don’t know what my arms were doing, they could have been flapping like a hummingbird for all I know. I was just focused on getting to that truck, whatever it took. I’ve never consciously been able to fly…though I have had dreams about flying. After one such dream, I woke up in the middle of Route 8 in the middle of the night.”

“What?”

“Yeah, Lex nearly ran over me with his Porsche.”

“Lex?” More distractions. “Never mind,” she said ,waving her right hand back and forth in a dismissive gesture. “Back to the tornado. How’d you hang on to the truck, much less open the door and climb inside?”

“That’s ability number two, though technically, it’s the first ability I ever developed.”

“Which is?”

“Super-strength. I grabbed the truck, ripped the driver-side door off its hinges, and climbed in on top of you. Oh, and I apologize for being so familiar; I didn’t have time to ask for permission first.”

“Well, I should think not,” Lana smiled. “Though normally, guys don’t try to climb all over me until we’ve been on a few dates first…that’s a joke, Clark. Smile!”

Glowering at Lana over a pair of glowing cheeks, Clark said, “Oh, since you’re having such a good time, I suppose you liked it with me on top?”

“Touché, Clark,” said a rapidly reddening Lana. “Umm…if this is your first ability, when did you get it?”

“The strength first showed up soon after I was adopted. I was hiding under my parents bed and my dad was trying to get me out from under it when I suddenly lifted the entire bed over my head. My parents were freaked out at first and decided to keep me on the farm and away from other people as much as possible to protect me. If anyone found out, they thought I would be taken away from them and studied in a lab or something.”

“Well, that explains the reclusive Kents. Aunt Nell knew your parents had adopted a child, but we almost never saw you until you started kindergarten.”

“As far how strong I am, the most ridiculous feat of strength I’ve performed was just recently when Perry White was in town.”

“Heh, turns out that drunk wasn’t so drunk after all.”

“No, but I think I scared him straight. He really did see the tractor fall into the middle of the road out a clear, blue sky.”

“And…?”

“I was helping Dad fix the tractor by lifting it up so he could work on it, only, due to an unforeseen problem, I was having difficulty controlling my strength and I ended up throwing it from the middle of the field all the way to the bus stop.”

“No way…that’s gotta be at least a half-mile-long throw!”

“Mmm…probably farther, but I’m not the kind of guy that likes to brag,” Clark said grinning widely.

Lana answered, “No wonder I’ve never seen you sweat while doing your chores; hay bales must weigh less than nothing to you.” After changing her position on the couch, Lana said, “Hmm…when did the speed show up?”

“A few years later. I was playing one day when all of a sudden, I took off at a tremendous rate of speed and ended up in the middle of the woods. It took a while for anyone to find me.”

“That must have been terrifying!”

“For me and my parents. At first that initial burst of speed was fun ‘cause no one could catch me, but then I realized I didn’t know how to stop. When I finally stopped, I was lost and started to cry. My folks were scared they’d never find me again. I still don’t know what excuse they gave to Sheriff Ethan to explain how I got out into the woods.

“Super-speed is an expensive ability, too.”

“Expensive?”

“Are you kidding? I’ve worn out more shoes that the Joffrey Ballet. I keep waiting for Goodyear to come out with running shoes with speed-rated soles so I don’t wear them out so fast.”

“Oh, Clark,” said a visibly amused Lana.

“No joke, Lana. I’ve owned more pairs of shoes in my life than even you, and that’s saying something!” Shrugging off a sudden, playful slap from his listener, Clark continued, “When you run as fast as I can, either the rubber melts from the friction or the soles separate from the uppers, but either way, it’s expensive. These days, if I have time to think about it, I’ll take off my socks and shoes before I run, and put them back on when I’m done.

“Getting back to finishing the tornado story, once the remnant of the truck landed, I picked you up and ran you to the hospital before going back to the farm to find my parents.”

“Yeah, I remember the search for your dad, Clark. I was at the Talon helping out along with your Mom and we ended up having a conversation that included a nice story about you and me.”

“Really, what was it?”

“Well…it’s not really my story to tell, you’ll have to ask your mom. If her story is right, though, you do have me to thank for being adopted by the Kents,” Lana said with a smile.

“Not likely, though that sounds a lot nicer than what really happened.”

“What do you mean?”
    Last edited by Cardinal; 12-30-2005, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Damn cliffies!!! PPMS! This story is really getting great!

Comment

Yeah why'd u have to stop there! PPMS!!

Comment

Lana's taking it well thus far, can't wait to see how she feels in a few updates though.

Comment

I like to think that Lana's suspected abilities since the tornado. Those shouldn't give her too many problems.

Clark's origin, however, may cause her a few mental hiccups!

As for cliffies, it's my first time on this side of a cliffhanger. I much prefer the view from over here! Especially since I haven't written myself into a corner. Well, not yet anyway.
            Last edited by Cardinal; 12-30-2005, 11:32 PM.

Comment

great story!!! PPMS!!!

Comment

i have just found this story it si s very good i cant wait for the next chapter

Comment

great update!PPMS!!!...stupid cliffys

Comment

Keep it going Cardinal. Loved this:

No joke, Lana. I’ve owned more pairs of shoes in my life than even you, and that’s saying something!”
                    And this:
                    I’ve Already Run Out of Sucky Chapter Names
                    Ha-Ha!

Comment

love the story he tells her his secret right off the bat instead of dragging it out for 50 updates. Great story and wonderfull update! PPMS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal
                        “I don’t know what my arms were doing, they could have been flapping like a hummingbird for all I know.

“No joke, Lana. I’ve owned more pairs of shoes in my life than even you, and that’s saying something!”
                        LOL!

I can just picture clark flapping his arms trying to fly! Awesome updates...Keep going! QUICK!

Comment

Chapter 4: My Favorite Martian (Woo-hoo, the sucky titles make a comeback!)

“Remember how my dad was found? Roger Nixon was just about to kill him with a metal stake when Lex shot Nixon in the back. Well, what you might not have heard was that Nixon was a reporter with the Inquisitor. He had somehow uncovered my secret, all of it, and was going to expose it in his paper.”

“What does this have to do with you coming to Smallville?”

“You’ll see. This is the core of my secret; the part that’s the hardest to tell you. Everything else is just physical abilities, but this part of my secret is why I’m different from everyone else."

Pacing slowly to gather his thoughts, Clark finally stopped, looked at Lana, and said, “Okay, here’s the story behind Nixon’s short stay in Smallville. Do you remember that I had to let Chloe drive us to the dance? It was because our truck had exploded on the farm. We thought that it was just a farming accident until Nixon started asking me about the incident. You see, he set the truck with a remote-controlled explosive which he triggered when I was inside the truck. It destroyed the truck, but the only damage that I suffered was a ruined t-shirt and smoky jeans.

“Nixon had learned about my abilities and used that explosion as a test of my toughness. He apparently videotaped the explosion. When the tornado hit, he was inside our storm cellar videotaping what was, at that time, my biggest secret. With that evidence, he could write his story, make a name for himself, and probably get a whole lot of money.

“My parents entered the storm cellar before he could leave, however, and Dad chased him into the storm to get the tape from him. After I found them, I was incapacitated. How, I’ll save for later. Meanwhile, Dad was fighting with Nixon. Then Lex saved the day.

“Why I’m telling you this is the reason that Roger Nixon was willing to kill. Unlike what you may think, Lana, I'm not a meteor freak. What Nixon videotaped in my storm cellar was…my spaceship. I came to Smallville with the meteors. So, in effect, my coming to Earth killed your parents, and I don‘t know if you‘ll ever be able to forgive me.”

Oh my God, Lana thought, umm, outer space was not high on my list of places Clark might be from...Indiana, maybe. Who I am I kidding, Atlantis was higher on my list!

“Lana, hello is anyone in there?” Clark asked, waving his hand in front of her hazel eyes. “Be mad, be amazed, be anything you want, but please say something, do something. I mean, I know I just gave you the mother-lode of all stories to digest, but…please?”

“I…wow…you don’t deal in small change do you, Clark?” Wow…this could be really cool…the next time I tell my girlfriends that my boyfriend is, ‘out of this world,’ I’ll be telling the exact truth. After that thought, Lana was struck by a severe case of the giggles.

“I’m glad one of us finds this amusing…if you never want to see me again, I’ll understand…”

Coming out of her reverie, Lana said, “Not want to see you again? Clark, are you crazy? Do you think I could possibly blame you for what happened when you were three-years-old? You didn’t pilot the ship, didn’t plot its course, and didn’t choose its destination did you? Of course not you ninny! So why would I blame you for the consequences of your arrival?”

“Well, I remember when Van McNulty was on his killing spree, you told me, `Life would just be so much better for everybody if the meteor shower never happened.’ You did say that, right? You weren’t lying to me or anything, were you? How could I not expect you to hate me? To me, you were saying that you wished I had never come to Smallville. That’s kinda hard for me to take coming from the mouth of the woman that I…well, from you.”

“I did say that, Clark, and at the time, I meant it. We all say things when we’re angry and frustrated that we regret later. All I could think of at the time was how the only things brought by the meteor shower were hurt and destruction. If I’d have know that you came in the meteor shower, believe me, I’d have been much more kindly disposed towards Smallville’s very own natural disaster.

“By the way,” Lana said coyly, standing up in front of Clark, putting her face as close to his as possible. Continuing in an earnest, breathy whisper, she said, “When you talk about your feelings for me, it would be nice if, on occasion, you would just come out and say you love me. Girls like to hear these things and besides, I most assuredly love you, Clark Kent.

Flabbergasted at her admission after his most recent revelation, Clark stammered, “Well then…umm,” and then, thought to himself, this must be her secret power, frying my brain with one wide-eyed stare. Then, finally, just loud enough that there is no doubt about what he’s saying, “I guess it’s as simple as this: I love you Lana Lang. Always have, always will.”

Feedback always welcome!
                          Last edited by Cardinal; 12-30-2005, 11:50 PM.

Comment

nice update ppms

Comment

Awesome, Cardinal! Lots of CLANA bliss!

Favorite lines:

Oh my God, Lana thought, umm, outer space was not high on my list of places Clark might be from...Indiana, maybe. Who I am I kidding, Atlantis was higher on my list!
                              AND

“By the way,” Lana said coyly, standing up in front of Clark, putting her face as close to his as possible. Continuing in an earnest, breathy whisper, she said, “When you talk about your feelings for me, it would be nice if, on occasion, you would just come out and say you love me. Girls like to hear these things and besides, I most assuredly love you, Clark Kent.

Flabbergasted at her admission after his most recent revelation, Clark stammered, “Well then…umm,” and then, thought to himself, this must be her secret power, frying my brain with one wide-eyed stare.
                              Last edited by SVsleuth; 08-05-2005, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Yes...all sorts of yummy Clana goodness...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎