No announcement yet.

Raindrops

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raindrops

A PG13-rated one shot fiction dedicated to a friend during her immeasurable grief.

Regular disclaimers apply.

~~~~~

He landed on the balcony of their apartment in the midst of the roiling clouds and thunder claps. His cape captured the turmoil of the angry sky as it billowed up into the air, violently shaking back and forth trying to free itself from its connection to the weight on his shoulders. His body remained unaffected by the forces of nature around him. He stood solid, unmoving with his head hung low and his eyes downcast. He had somehow made it home; yet the magnitude of his despair prevented him from taking those last few steps forward. He hoped she would feel his presence and come to him. She was his life force. He needed her.

The years had been generous to Lois Lane as she took a final look in the mirror after brushing her hair off her face. She had telltale signs of aging, but they could only be considered graceful touches to her appearance. The smile lines and crows feet added depth to her already striking beauty…beauty that emanated from deep within her heart…beauty that overshadowed the worry creasing her brow as of late. The streaks of gray in her hair spoke of the promise of a beautiful blending of color with the deep brownish hue. She would be damned if she ever bought a box of that drug store hair coloring product. People would either accept her as is, or move about their merry way in their own private fairy tale land.

A faint tapping could be heard against the storm window in the living room. Fed up, Lois pulled open a drawer in her bureau and pulled out a pair of hair clippers, intent on cutting the bothersome branch that had knocked against the window for far too many months. With her weapon firmly grasped, she made her way out of the bedroom door towards the living room.

But, she stopped before reaching her destination.

She saw him standing outside the door. She thought he resembled an island; magnificent to behold, yet surprising in the suddenness of his appearance.

She had known him forever and understood the significance of this stance. He had been too late. His soul was defeated. She dropped the scissors and ran to him, slamming the door aside with a bang in her haste to reach him.

Her body shivered in reaction to his devastation. She understood the magnitude of his loss. He was invincible in the eyes of the world; feared by his enemies; loved by humanity; but clearly reduced to boyhood in his grief.

Yet, she saw no tears falling to the patio. He needed her.

Her heart hammered in her chest; fear constricting her throat making words impossible to enunciate. She walked forward, careful not to upset his fragile hold as she reached out to comfort him. With gentle assurance, her palm warmed his cheek with its caress.

“Clark?”

He lifted his gaze; answering her with his eyes. She was sure her expression in that moment mirrored the heartache glistening behind his eyes. She reached her other hand up to his other cheek and they locked gazes before slowing leaning foreheads in to touch…her thumbs rubbing gently all the while, expressing what her voice was unable.

They pulled back simultaneously never taking their eyes off one another while their fingers linked together. Tears slowly trickled from her eyes as she showcased her sorrow for him to see.

He stared back at her blankly…unable to accept this reality…unwilling to address the loneliness left with him. He slowly reached his hands up to cup her cheeks, before pulling her to his chest to bring her closer to his heart. She nestled in his embrace and wrapped her arms around his width, hugging him tightly; filling his void.

The thunder roared overhead and the wind whipped her freshly combed hair. He grabbed ahold of his cape and wrapped her securely within it as he protected her from the world.

His love.

His only remaining family.

His life.

Together they rose up, drifting high into the sky away from the buildings, the noises, the responsibilities; searching for a place of privacy. The heavens parted for them as they broke through the clouds and hovered; holding tightly to their love.

She squeezed him once allowing him to understand she was ready to support him through the weight of his grief.

He drew in a deep breath and threw back his head and screamed away the unfairness of his late arrival; screamed away his fear of being left behind by all whom he loved; screamed away the enormity of despair for this particular loss.

When he ran out of breath, he looked down at his beloved as she held his trembling body. His tears mixed with hers and fell as raindrops down the sky; raindrops of grief for the loss of his mother.

wow is all i can say.

Comment

That was beautiful, Chelly. Absolutely beautiful. The way Clark is feeling is exactly the way I'm feeling. Today, I turned to my best friend for six years, to just hang out with from 2-10 today. He's someone I know I can turn to when I need release. He was my perfect choice. Chelly, I am honored and touched that you wrote this for me. The story is delightful, although I'm sorry you had to write it under such a depressing circumstance, but I really appreciate it. Thank you so much for always being there for me. ~Stacey~

Comment

wow that story was written with so much emotion. a beautiful writing style is all i can say

Comment

that story was beautifully written Chelly, full of emotions. Great job.

Comment

I read this not too long ago on another site, but I thought I should stop in here to reiterate how beautiful I thought it was. Excellent job.

Comment

ummmm wow. that was amazing, ummmm, holy crap, uhhhhh wow, im in shock. The way you made that story so amazing, but only 1 word was spoken throughout the whole thing was breath taking. It was Beautiful. Excelent job, that truely was amazing, and your unbelivealbe with the way you use your words. ummmmmm im still in some major shock. Excelent, it was brilliant

Comment

That was really really beautiful, good job.

Comment

Wonderful flowing descriptive writing here. What comes through most of all are the emotions which really and truly touched me and brought me to me to tears. Though my own mother is still here, she isn't in mind and I know of another mother (long time friend) who is slowing dying, by not eating properly. It's so sad. Your words say it all!

Comment

Very rarely am I reduced to tears after reading a fanfic. But this is one of those rare times.

The words were beautiful, the emotions heartfelt, the Clois perfect.

"He stared back at her blankly…unable to accept this reality…unwilling to address the loneliness left with him. He slowly reached his hands up to cup her cheeks, before pulling her to his chest to bring her closer to his heart. She nestled in his embrace and wrapped her arms around his width, hugging him tightly; filling his void.

The thunder roared overhead and the wind whipped her freshly combed hair. He grabbed ahold of his cape and wrapped her securely within it as he protected her from the world."

I think this passage sums up the emotion of the whole piece.

Even when the emotions are sad ones, you never fail to make me feel them. Beautiful job, Chelly
                    Last edited by pixiedust; 07-11-2005, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Wow......... taht's all i can say. This was a really powerful story. Really great job.

Comment

that story was incredible. It was so emotional and powerful just wow!. Awesome job

Comment

I found this to be somewhat of a difficult read because of the subject matter and because I know that this has to be an incredibly difficult time for the person to whom this story is dedicated. Rumpuso, it is truly amazing that you give so freely of your gifts.....and I know that she certainly appreciates your kindness.

As for the story itself, I must say that this is truly one of the most heart-breaking, visceral pieces of writing that you've done. This story seems to be drawn from a place that I've never seen you go artistically--at least not anything that I've seen posted here.

This fic is real.
                          This fic is mainstream.
                          And personally, I think this fic is more 'you' than anything we've seen.

I also like the fact that this story projects that idea that even the strongest among us will one day face grief. This is a sad fact, but a true one.

Stacey, once again, please accept my deepest sympathies and Rumpuso, I hope that you continue to write stories that touch us on an emotional level such as the one you've written here.
                          Last edited by Lex's Baby Mama; 07-11-2005, 06:27 AM.

Comment

I am a sensitive and emotional person. But a story has to have depth, warmth, something extra for tears to form in my eyes. I will now make an announcement...

Tears are DEFINITELY forming in my eyes.

My heart is hurting.

I got your PM and feel more than honored to read this story, Chelly. I was not able to post my reply straight away, but even while I was out this story stayed with me. And now as I sit here, what can I say to express what this fic made me feel? Because that is what this story was about was it not? How someone so invincible in many ways, felt. How you made him feel by, and will not stop saying this, by your amazing talent.

Chelly, my friend. You have left me once again in a state of awe.

And Stacey, my heart goes out to you. I lost someone dear to me a few months ago. Please know that if you need me I am there.

~JEM~

Comment

It's beautiful....

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍