The Greatest Green Lantern of All

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Greatest Green Lantern of All

From the Silver Age of DC.

If you like the idea more. Check out JLA: One Million TPB by Grant Morrison.

Blah to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
      Blah to that.
      Why Blah to that?

Comment

Because as a GL fan it offends me that they chose to minimize EVERY GL's contributions to DC continuity by showing them ALL as "the second choice". Superman is good at everything, he doesn't need to be the greatest GL that never was.

Comment

Because as a GL fan it offends me that they chose to minimize EVERY GL's contributions to DC continuity by showing them ALL as "the second choice". Superman is good at everything, he doesn't need to be the greatest GL that never was.

I am thinking you missed something. Kal-el would of been a green lantern had not krypton blown up. He would of never been superman. So. He would of never been good at everything since he wouldn't have his yellow sun powers.

Comment

I remember "Superman: The Last Son of Earth" Elseworld.
            Last edited by Timester; 07-02-2005, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Miracleman
              I am thinking you missed something. Kal-el would of been a green lantern had not krypton blown up. He would of never been superman. So. He would of never been good at everything since he wouldn't have his yellow sun powers.
              Not even close to the point.

The Guardians didn't give Kal-El the power ring because they would have been depriving the universe of Superman. It's basically saying that Kal-El is too good to be Green Lantern.

Comment

Originally posted by Miracleman
                The first time he was sent to a yellow star system he would have had all his powers. In the Silver Age, there was no waiting period.

And I agree with BG, even though I thought the story was all right it did demean every other GL.

Comment

Not even close to the point.

The Guardians didn't give Kal-El the power ring because they would have been depriving the universe of Superman. It's basically saying that Kal-El is too good to be Green Lantern.
                  He would of been the green lantern of krypton. Had Krypton not blown up or he had not arrived on earth. He would of been made a green lantern.

Its pre-crisis, so it doesn't have an effect on current con.

Comment

I liked the story...don't see how it demeans other Green Lanterns, because none of the ones that we love were alive at the time, or even Green Lanterns. Kal-El was the first Superhero on Earth, at age 8. (Though he operated secretly under the guidance of the Kents and didn't reveal himself to the world until age 12.)

I like Maggin's Superman stories, because they are sci-fi. If Maggin were still Superman's primary writer today, then Superman wouldn't be appearing in the OMAC Project, he'd be in the Rann/Thanagar War.

Comment

I agree with BG, it does demean all GL's.

Whether or not the Guardians gave him a ring isn't the issue. It's the fact that they consider every GL to be second rate compared to him. That Superman, even as plain Kal-El without powers, would still be the greatest GL. Even when Hal joined the corps. Superman would still be better. And as Superman, he's still better. The Guardians relationship with clark, is like the tptb's with Kristen Kreuk. No matter what, she's the best at everything. Regardless if they could or should be doing anything, they're still the best at it. CLark as GL, he's the best. Clark as Superman, obviously the best superhero. Heck, Clark as Batman, he turned freaking gothaminto metropolis.

Comment

I guess I just didn't interpret the story that way. It seems to say he would have either BEEN the greatest Green Lantern of all, if he had been one, or they were referring to Tomar- Re. I'll have to look over it again.

Edit: Yep...here from the first page, including the words that were in bold:

"But listen now with Tomar-Re to the tale of a child called Kal-El, the one who could have been... the Greatest Green Lantern of them all."

There's nothing here to be offended at. But you have the right to be offended anyway, because this is America.

Happy Independence Day!
                        Last edited by Gangbuster; 07-03-2005, 02:44 PM.

Comment

What can you say-- when you write Superman being millions of years advance than humans it's hard to get away from the fact that he would be more apt in doing things than an ordinary human, which in this case, wielding a Green Lantern ring.

Comment

All right, let's turn around and say that Superman is smarter than Batman, then. And while we're at it, he's faster than Flash. He's more powerful than Captain Marvel. He has a stronger will than any GL who has ever lived or will ever live.

What's the point, then? Why do we need the other heroes, then? Because Superman can't be everywhere at once? I can see it now...

"Help! Help, I'm in trouble!" cries citizen XYZ.

"Don't worry, I'm here to save you." replies Green Lantern.

"What? No, Superman? What, my problem isn't big enough to warrant Superman so the Justice League had to send in a scrub?"

It's stupid. It's bad writing and it makes the other heroes look weak.

Comment

You don't have to be melodramatic about it. Don't kill the messenger. If your going to blame Superman being ubber powerful then blame the creators. When you have Superman's power being derived from the sun--the single most powerful energy source in the solar system-- then it's obvious he would be powerful. Additionally, he is the descendant of Rao's power, bequeathed to Superman's ancestors. Rao, the once ruler of all gods on Krypton, who left Krypton to its social atrophy and fathered all Olympians on Earth. So, all these things cumulate to ascribe why Superman is as powerful as he is.
                              Last edited by randy23; 07-03-2005, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎