Collapse
No announcement yet.

horrible ending to a horrible season.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is true that everyone is entitled to their opinions and that is all well and good. I do have to agree that saying the writers should be shot is a bit out of line, unless you are a communist, then it's completely acceptable.

I've said this before on this board somewhere in the few times I have actually posted and I'll reiterate it in this thread. Smallville has many kinds of fans, the kind who watch the show who have only general knowledge of superman, the diehard comic book fans that own every comic book ever created with superman in it, even crossovers with other superhero comics, and then there is the slightly younger generation who were way too young to have actually watched the older superman shows and the movies who really like the modern twist they put on everything so they can better relate themselves to the show. The writers must try to keep the entire fanbase happy, and in truth, it is utterly impossible. The people who don't care about the mythos would stop watching the show if they only focused on things like that, because then they would feel like they would have to have read all the comics to better understand the show and lose interest fast, there aren't many people who want to study things just to better enjoy the show.

But we change the mythos, for example, adding Lois Lane to the picture, the mythos people are furious and the people who have only general knowledge of superman are like, oh wait, I actually know Lois Lane, it makes them happy because even though they don't know the mythos they can recognize the character of Lois Lane. It is impossible to keep the entire fanbase happy so the writers sometimes keep true to the mythos, but then sometimes change things to be different and unique and to please the other parts of the fanbase. Then there is the part about being a writer, writers may actually stay true to the mythos, but the big executive guys who know nothing of it are all like, put Lois Lane in the show, even though the writers know she shouldn't technically be there. Being a writer for a TV show is tough work, a lot of pressure and a lot of higher ups screwing with your ideas and you can do nothing but obey them if you want to get the money to put food on your table. Long rant I know, but it is just to give some defense to the writers so they don't get shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Rae
      some people aren't happy unless they are complaining... completely uncomfortable enjoying something without weighing it against everything you've ever known, seen and experienced... just enjoy the show... or change the channel.

But I don't buy the comics. I don't read it and I certainly don't go to comic boards and post my dislike of it. Actually its because of the comics and the movies that I didn't even watch Smallville until basically this year. I started watching right before the season 3 box set came out... and I really enjoyed it.

I could live without Lana being the center of the smallville universe and with the exception of 1 episode I thought Lois was a great addition to a cast that was threatening to become stale.

Meh... but you don't care. You'd rather just have something to complain about. And its obvious no one is gonna change your mind on this.
      I disagree with you there. I'll explain you why:

Presonally, I love Smallville, seriously, I do, I love it, but I didn't like this season as much as the rest, but I still loved many episodes in it, and I don't think you're right when you say that if I didin't like one, ONE episode, like the finale, I don't have the right to come into a discussion boards and express that I'm not happy about it. After al, it IS a discussion board, and people do have the right to say if they didn't like certain episode rather than having the short minded options of "enjoy the show or cahnge the channel", don't you think?

-----

Now, about the finale, at first I liked it, I mean, while you're watching it you really are at the edge of your seat wondering what happens next. The problem? After the episode is over, and you cool down and think about it, you end up wondering why were you all exited about, nothing really happened plotwise, and the exitement came more from the special effects of the meteor shower than from the argument of the show, that's were I find it disappointing. In previous seasons, the argument is what shines over all.

But of course, I should've changed the channel instead of come here and say I didn't like it, right? Because if you don't love every single episode, why do you even post?

Comment

ee... Why did Clark throw the element(s)???

Comment

OK here i go... personally i thought commencment was the best episode smallville ever had, with all the lex going bad, lionel"supposedly dying, and dude if you dislike the show that Frikken much, why would you ever sign up for this site cuz obviously this is a site for people who actually LIKE Smallville if you didn't notice so if your not gonna watch the show i suggest you stop coming in here and dumping your short minded opinions onto peopl who actually like it. Iff your not gonna watch the show anymore, i suggest you leave

Comment

TALK

ABOUT

THE SHOW

AND NOT

EACH OTHER.

It's in the rules.

You are allowed to say you think the show sucks here. You are NOT allowed to say you think other posters suck.

READ. THE. RULES.

LISTEN UP.

The next person to say "If you don't like it, you can leave" or suggesting that ANYONE should "be shot" will get banned. Not just their user name, but their entire IP range and email address as well. And will have a little sign under their username in their old posts in the forums that says "I was banned for being an obnoxious asshat to the other posters."

Do you guys understand me? Thanks.

Comment

[i]Now, about the finale, at first I liked it, I mean, while you're watching it you really are at the edge of your seat wondering what happens next. The problem? After the episode is over, and you cool down and think about it, you end up wondering why were you all exited about, nothing really happened plotwise, and the exitement came more from the special effects of the meteor shower than from the argument of the show, that's were I find it disappointing. In previous seasons, the argument is what shines over all.[/B]
              I agree that none of the plot arguments were resolved in this, but after all it was the finale. It set up a lot of arguments to be resolved in the future... that's why it's called a cliff-hanger.

I just watched this last episode again on DVD, and I thought it was almost as good as the first time. I liked it more than the season 3 finale, but billing it as a 90-minute episode was IMO deceitful.

Comment

ee... Why did Clark throw the element(s)???

Didn't understand... Is this thread also for explaining to dumbasses like me? I'm dying, I watched all the season four episodes in row without doing anything else in betwen... So no I'm first of all dying to understand WHY, Clark threw the element(s) in the air (could be that the one i watched was the 60 minute one and not the 90 minute one I'm not sure), and second of all I need more smallville... NOW! I usually don't watch smallville on television, I just buy the season DVD's... but it will take a year before that ones out... Fu*k... =(

Comment

Go rent Superman, the movie, and you will see where Clark throws a cystal into the arctic and when it lands, it starts 'building' the Fortress of Solitude. Either that, or ClarkMan was just frustrated and decided to chunk something.

Comment

I was a little puzzled by this, too. I know it's in the movie and he's probably supposed to do it, but how does he know he's supposed to throw it? In fact, it looks like he let's the crystal first point the way, then grabs it and throws it. If he has been insturcted in some way, I certainly missed it... or maybe it's Kryptonian instinct.

Comment

It was floating like it was waiting for Clark to do something with it, maybe something that Jor-El told him in the Void kicked in, or maybe the crystal was just pointing to where it had to go and Clark just decided the fast way would be to throw it.

Maybe he was just pissed off at it and the fact that this stupid quest ruined his graduation and technically his whole school year, so because he was angry he just threw it. Hehehe!

Comment

Originally posted by Lana_Lang #1
                        Maybe he was just pissed off at it and the fact that this stupid quest ruined his graduation and technically his whole school year, so because he was angry he just threw it. Hehehe!
                        Hehe, I like your theory.

DaleErwin: I liked the cliffhanger, I just didn't think the episode wasn't well written from the point of view of the plot and the lines. Example: A meteor shower is coming and Chloe is babbling (and, if you watch closely, SMILING) because "something in Smallville is claiming for celestial attention". I mean, doesn't she realize what's going on? IMO, Martha was the only one whose lines and acting actually reflected the angst of the upcoming disaster.

The end of the episode saved it a little, since it was opened opened for a new interesting history (that's why I like cliffhangers), but I think it was pretty alike to the end of season 3: The Kents in a life-threatening situation; the farm destroyed ONCE again like on every season finale, which is getting annoying; Clark being sucked by the caves AGAIN, you get my point.

The good part: The witches storyline is over, thank God.

Comment

I am in two minds about this season. The good episodes were really good, while the bad episodes were really bad, unlike Season 1-3, where some episodes were in between.

Comment

I haven't yet seen an episode that I didn't like. The writers of Smallville are really good at what they are doing. The season finale was one of the best cliffhangers I've seen. I can't wait till the new season starts up. It'll resolve all questions that you have! Again I point out I like all Smallville episodes!!!!!!!!

Comment

I dont care what anyone says, i liked season four!..it had its bad moments ill admit, but nothing sooo bad that i wanted to change the channel....and i personally thought that commencment was the best season finale on smallville!!

Comment

I used to be a great fan of comic books, but I guess I just outgrew them. The last comic book I bought cost 10 cents, just to give you an idea of how long it's been. Back in those days a romantic connection between Superman and Lois Lane would have been unthinkable. The closest it ever got to that was Lois being starry-eyed and moonstruck over Superman, but he just kept on flying, as though oblivious to the fact... even though Clark Kent was well aware of it.

When I first read in the spoilers that Lois Lane was coming to Smallville, I was upset that it was going to ruin later episodes and make it impossible to keep the storyline aligned with the myth. Now, however, I realize that this storyline isn't going to last long enough to interfere with the myth, so I just enjoy the characters and the show for a myth in its own right.

I didn't start watching until near the end of season 2, but thanks to the daily reruns I have now seen every episode several times and I think season 4 is the best yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎