This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Django (1966).

Comment

• 2010: The Year We Make Contact (1984). The sequel to Kubrick's classic. It depicts the Soviet Union and the cold war as still existing in 2010. So it is one of those examples of science fiction depicting the future wrong. Of course, as the film depicts WWIII as being near, 11 years ago (only prevented an external force), makes you reflect on how the future is brighter than they envisioned it, nearly 40 years ago. They could not envision a future, where the Soviet Union (and most of the other communist dictatorships) would be gone in less than a decade. The Berlin wall being demolished in five years. The cold war ending, without a single shot fired. Reflecting on the 1984 movie's prediction of the policital situation in 2010 versus the 2010 that we actually experienced, fills one with hope.

Mind you, I wouldn't have minded the movie's depiction of the state of space travel in the early 21st century.
      Last edited by jon-el87; 01-18-2021, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• Rewatched Murder on the Orient Express (1974).

Followed it up with a rewatch of Death on the Nile (1978). Didn't think that it was as good as the first one (though, not awful). Murder on the Orient Express was directed by Sidney Lumet. My main issue being that I really got tired of them constantly being on this train, for the better part of two hours. So I was looking forward to Death on the Nile, with it having more locations. It was directed by the guy who had directed the remake of King Kong, two years earlier (along with some Tarzan movies). Not sure he was the right guy for the job. The opening is just a shot of a body of water (later established to be the Nile). Wish that they had done a montage of Nile photographs from the 1930s. Would've both been visually interesting, and set me in the mood of the time period.

Both films have got a good cast. In the latter, Angela Lansbury appears as writer Salome Otterbourne. Two years later, she played Agatha Christie's other detective character, Miss Marple, in The Mirror Crack'd. Naturally, she later went on the play Jessica Fletcher (who was a fusion of Miss Marple and Agatha Christie), a writer and a detective. Creates an interesting dimension to her appearances in these Agatha Christie adaptation. She's slowly moving towards the role that she's destined to play.

After rewatching those two movies, i rewatched Evil Under the Sun (1982). Kenneth Branagh's current series of Hercule Poirot films started with Murder on the Orient Express, followed up by the upcoming Death on the Nile. Curious to see what they'll do after that. Will laugh if they follow it up with an adaptation of Evil Under the Sun. There are so many other Poirot novels. They could also take one of the short stories and develop it into a feature film. Not just follow in the same path as the Albert Finney-Peter Ustinov films.

Maggie Smith played Bowers in Death on the Nile... and Daphne Castle in Evil Under the Sun. In fact, Evil Under the Sun re-used several actors, who had appeared in the first two films: Jane Birkin, Denis Quilley and Colin Blakely.

Comment

• Flags of Our Fathers (2006).

Comment

• The Longest Day (1962).

Comment

• Young Frankenstein (1974). They literally don't make parodies like this anymore.

Fun fact: the lab equipment used in this film, was the same that had been used in the 1931 James Whale film. They went to Kenneth Strickfaden, the guy who had created the props for the original film, and it turned out that he still had the props in his garage.

Comment

• Marathon Man (1976).

Comment

• The French Connection (1971).

Comment

• Sahara (1943).

Comment

• The Lady Vanishes (1938).

Comment

• The Big Sleep (1946)

Comment

• Sanjuro (1962). Great opening scene.

Comment

• Lawrence of Arabia (1962) My favorite film of all time.

Comment

• Lola (2019).

Comment

• Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡