X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Catch a Thief (1955).

Comment

• Dracula (1979).

Comment

• Alien: Covenant (2017). Rewatching it, during a pandemic, was an interesting experience.

Comment

• Psycho (1960) and Citizen Kane (1941).

Comment

• Mank (2020).

Comment

• Into the Woods (2014).

Comment

• It's a Wonderful Life (1946). A very depressing movie.

Comment

• Gladiator (2000).

Comment

• Alien (1979).

Comment

• The Curse of Frankenstein (1957).

Comment

• The Harder They Fall (1956). Bogart's final film.

Comment

• Rashomon (1950).

Comment

• Sat down and rewatched 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). Had been thinking about rewatching it for some time. Got around to it, about a week ago, but stopped when I realized that if I just waited less than a week, I'd be rewatching it in 2021 (i.e. 20 years after the film is set). I like that Space Station 5 is depicted as still being under construction. After all, this film was set less than 40 years after when it was released. They didn't do an overkill with human advancement. We still haven't made it to Jupiter (a lot of other science fiction might have depicted us as being far longer along, within a 30-40 year span).

They've got some Russian scientists showing up, but it appears that no one ever mentions the Soviet Union. Science Fiction is terrible at predicting the future (I don't just mean technology, but political and social developments, that they often fail to predict or consider). Resulting in it becoming dated. To use some inaccurate predictions: In Star Trek IV (1986), they mention Leningrad. The TNG episode "The Naked Now" (1987) have a plaque on a ship, that identifies it as being built in the USSR. Both the USSR and Leningrad would cease to exist within four years of the latter and five years after the former (thought they made a good example, due to the short timespan between the release and the changing of the world). In the sequel, 2010: The Year We Make Contact (1984), the Soviet Union was outright established to still exist and the cold war still ongoing (almost 20 years after both ceased to exist). Oddly enough, possibly making the sequel (released 16 years after the first) more dated than the original (haven't rewatched 2010 in quite a while).

Comment

• The Mirror Crack'd (1980). Angela Lansbury as Miss Marple. Rock Hudson as Jason Rudd. Elizabeth Taylor as Marina Gregg. A young Pierce Brosnan appears in a non-speaking role. Lansbury was signed for two movies as Miss Marple. As someone who likes Murder, She Wrote, this film being a box office disappointment, was probably a blessing in disguise. Otherwise, she might not have ended up playing Jessica Fletcher (whom Peter S. Fischer identified as a merger of Miss Marple and Agatha Christie).

The film is based on Agatha Christie's novel The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (1962). A key element in the story is believed to be inspired by what happened to Gene Tierney during WWII.

Comment

• Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1959). Pre-James Bond Sean Connery. In fact, his performance in this film, apparently, helped Connery land the role of 007.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎