Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MidgardDragon
    Movies aren't always about escaping and it being fun. Sometimes movies are about intense emotions, even the negative ones, and exploring those emotions. Sometimes they're about making a statement. Sometimes they're even about trying to promote real change in society. And sometimes movies are even about being terrified. If it was all about love stories, while love is great, then many great movies wouldn't exist and many movies would be rendered completely boring.
    And sometimes there are people who don't want to watch those movies.

Comment

• Originally posted by MidgardDragon
      Movies aren't always about escaping and it being fun. Sometimes movies are about intense emotions, even the negative ones, and exploring those emotions. Sometimes they're about making a statement. Sometimes they're even about trying to promote real change in society. And sometimes movies are even about being terrified. If it was all about love stories, while love is great, then many great movies wouldn't exist and many movies would be rendered completely boring.
      I was speaking specifically about those types of movies - I understand perfectly well that not all movies are about escaping to a better place etc. I was merely saying for those types of movies it brings up (to me mind you) that I don't really enjoy those types of movies. I prefer to be sucked into the movie and have it create a world (good or bad) I don't want to be bored and sit there wondering why I pushed play. Anyway - to each their own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ginx
        Catwoman for example, is an example of a 0 movie for me.
        Yeah Halle Berry seemed wrong for the part...but I wouldn't give that movie a 0 either, heh. I'm a fan of the genre. Plus I loved Birds of Prey back when it aired, and this had qualities like it.

For something to be a total '0' for me, it has to be terrible the whole way through, not just terrible overall. If I liked anything about a film, even a single scene or moment, then it's not a zero. Anyway that's just the way I see things.

In the Smallville section, I see people give genuinely great or at the very least decent Smallville eps '1 out of 10' ratings, and their explanations for their terrible scores usually have to do solely with their own personal tastes or preferences not being met, things not happening the way they wished would happen based on their own pre-conceived notions and things like that. A lot of the time, even a single scene or a few scenes not being liked is enough for them to totally write off an episode as a total 0 (or 1). A Chlark shipper/Chloe lover, for example, might write off an episode simply for Chloe not being in it, for something bad/sad or "mean" happening to Chloe, or if Clark gets romantic with somebody who ISN'T Chloe, like with Lana (ESPECIALLY Lana, lol). It's funny to see how some people's brains work, or don't work. heh
        Last edited by Xanderman; 03-21-2008, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• I watched Vantage Point the other day, and I thought it was really good. That is as long as you dont mind seeing the president get shot 8 times. Even though I knew it was coming it suprised me every time for some reason

Comment

• Saw The Bank Job on Wednesday, that was good.

Saw Meet the Spartans last night, that wasn't.

Comment

• Went to see "The Other Boleyn Girl" tonight, it was absolutely fantastic.

Comment

• Just saw Braveheart, and right now I'm cursing myself for not having seen it before. Fantastic movie. Right now I'm searching ebay for a sword like it, for my Braveheart-altar!

Comment

• Shoot Em Up

Interesting movie, it was just weird IMO Clive Owen was badass with a gun is all that movie was about 5/10. The baby tidbit, was ugh what? A story line only because they movie had to have one lol

Comment

• No country for old men and There will be blood are some of the best movies ever made. Make sure you see them.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmyolsenblues
                      No country for old men and There will be blood are some of the best movies ever made. Make sure you see them.
                      No Country for Old Men was outstanding. Haven't seen "Blood" yet but it's on my list.

Comment

• Finally had a chance to watch to watch The Prestige and The Illusionist. Both were awesome, but I personally preferred The Prestige more.

The ending of The Illusionist was a bit cheesy and typical, unlike The Prestige. I know people don't like to compare the two as similar plots, but you gotta admit it. They're not that different.

Oh and I watched Fight Club a month back. Fantastic movie.

No Country for Old Men was outstanding. Haven't seen "Blood" yet but it's on my list.
                        Likewise.

Comment

• I watched "Walk The Line" a few days ago. It's one of my favorite movies with great performances by Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon.

Comment

• I have been watching the Star Wars saga on Spike, excellent 10/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Lexgirl33
                              I have been watching the Star Wars saga on Spike, excellent 10/10
                              I'll say. The prequels alone beat the LotR trilogy in ratings.

Comment

• I read that *is a little sad* LotR i think got less ratings probably cause the movies are so damn long. I am trying to make up excuses here Anyhow SW is a true classic that came way before the LotR films were made. I mean really, SW should beat out LotR, it was basically a start of a new era I personally like the prequals but watching the 3 original was like my childhood all over again. I also really like how they added Anakin at the end of Return of the Jedi.

The one excuse they made for LotR was that it won Academy Awards

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎