No announcement yet.

1991 Dark Shadows

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 Dark Shadows

I am more familiar with this version of the show rather than the original. Any fans of 1991 Dark Shadows at Kryptonsite?

Yes. I'm a fan of 1991. I'm not sure why so many fans don't like it. I think Joanna Going was a great Victoria Winters. It is pretty steamy too. Don't know why steamy isn't a good thing.

Sorry didn't reply sooner. I don't get to this forum very often.

Comment

I think I remember seeing something like this but I can't eaxtaclly remember if I did. Was it good by the way?

Comment

wat wuz it about?

Comment

the site says it is known as the most popular cult classic of all time. ~ sounds pretty interesting, it lasted 5 season, and got some good reviews.

Comment

Sadly, the 1991 version only lasted 12 episodes. Too bad. It was so horrifically good!

If you read the TV Tome, it says it after the glowing reviews of the original DS which aired from 1966 to 1971.

Comment

yea it does. It looks interesting do you know if any VHS or DVD's were ever realsed?

Comment

Yes indeed they were released on VHS. However, they are shortly to go out of print with no plans for a DVD release. I did hear this directly from MPI in an e-mail from customer service.

I have been gradually collecting and viewing the set with our Dark Shadows Club in Southern California. There are some really outstanding actors like Joanna Going, Jean Simmons, Barbara Steele, etc.

The place to get these videos is MPI Home Video.

Comment

Good to see that there may still be some copies left....I was thinking of renting the first couple of seasons or something.

Its kind of expensive thought, $8.99x 12=$107.88. I am guessing those are the 1991 version?

Comment

MPI is selling the 1991 Revival for $9.98 each. They recently lowered the price.

A set of 12 at $9.98 each comes to $119.76. There would be tax and shipping as well. Could be doable.

The original series is something all together different. We have 1245 episodes or so of the show. They are around 21 to 23 minutes each. The original DS played in the afternoon for a half hour. Those were the days.

The costs for the original series DVDs are $41.49 or so at Amazon.com. Each set comes with 40 Episodes. It comes to around $1,291 and change from beginning to end. That is really expensive but then you always have the show.

Comment

I'm a DS fanatic. It was the revival series that got me into the show. I eventually saw the old show on Sci-Fi, and I love them both equally. Perhaps I lean towards the old show, but only because there were many more episodes and characters, including Quentin the werewolf. The 90's show was awesome, but cut so short (and what a cruel cliffhanger). Dark Shadows, whenever it is running, is family hour in my house. We would always gather around to watch it. At 29, I'm probably one of the youngest fans the original show has.

That's a shame if the 90s show really isn't coming to DVD? I wouldn't be surprised if it did some day, though, after the classic movies are released and MPI is searching for something new to sell. I badly want those sets of the old show, but they're a bit too costly for me at the moment. I'm disappointed that I've heard the DVDs don't include the pre-Barnabas episodes, though. Not that they were that good, but I'm a bit of a completist. Has the entire series reached store shelves on DVD yet? Or are there still more to come? Being too broke, I haven't been keeping track (I have too many obsessions...so many DVDs to buy).

The new show WAS rather steamy, but only once did I feel they took it a bit too far for my tastes (a scene with Maggie and Roger). I didn't actually care for the new Maggie or Roger, actually, and never was a Victoria Winters fan, old or new. I LOVE both Angeliques, though, and, while original Willie was superior, the bafoon Willie of the remake has his good points, too. In general, both shows had great casts. In the new show, Elizabeth Collins Stoddard had 2 daughters, both GORGEOUS. Alas, Daphne, my preference, was killed off in the first couple of eps.

I'm not exactly disappointed that the new show didn't make it (the WB one that was made for 2004). I'm involved in independent film myself right now, and my dream is to someday bring Dark Shadows to the big screen (and play Barnabas myself). I really didn't want some show coming along to interrupt that probably unrealistic fantasy of mine, ha. I feel the same way about the upcoming "Kolchak: The Nightstalker" series, which seems more of a rehash of the X-Files than a true Kolchak show. I want to do the same thing with Kolchak someday, so I don't have the highest support level for the upcoming series.
                      Last edited by slave2moonlight; 04-12-2005, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by slave2moonlight

That's a shame if the 90s show really isn't coming to DVD?
                        Yes I'm afraid it's true. But, with MPI you never know. There has been no fan outcry over it. I'm very doubtful.

I'm disappointed that I've heard the DVDs don't include the pre-Barnabas episodes, though. Not that they were that good, but I'm a bit of a completist. Has the entire series reached store shelves on DVD yet? Or are there still more to come? Being too broke, I haven't been keeping track (I have too many obsessions...so many DVDs to buy).
                        MPI has stated on several occaisions that the plan is to release the pre-Barnabas after the entire series is released. That is how they released the videos. So, in about two more years we should see that come out. The releases are just entering the Leviathan period.

Good luck to you on bringing Barnabas back on the big or little screen. He's a great character to play I bet.

Comment

Thanks! Just or fun, here is the cast I would like to have for my future Dark Shadows big budget, big screen trilogies. My dream is to make two trilogies (at least), the Barnabas Collins trilogy, and the Quentin Collins Trilogy. My dream cast is as follows:

Barnabas: Nathan James (me)

Victoria Winters: Rachael Leigh Cook

Willie Loomis: Elijah Wood

Roger Collins: David Hyde Pierce

Carolyn Collins: Kirsten Dunst

Dr. Julia Hoffman: Parker Posey

Elizabeth Collins-Staddard: Sela Ward

Rev. Trask: James Marsters

Maggie Evans: Katie Holmes

Professor Stokes: James Earl Jones

Joe Haskell: Tom Everett Scott

Angelique Bouchard: Hilary Duff

Quentin Collins: Hugh Jackman

Daphne Harridge: Ashley James (my little sis)

Here are some mock ups I've made of the cast of Dark Shadows 2015 (or whenever):

That's cool that they'll be releasing the earlier episodes on DVD after they've released the others. That's what I suspected. Shocking that there isn't an outcry among fans for the 90's series to get released! I'm also wondering what is taking so long for the films to get released (House of Dark Shadows and Night of Dark Shadows). I'm sure that, once the series is all out on DVD, MPI will probably look into releasing that other stuff.

Comment

I'm sure the no outcry is coming from the traditionalist in Dark Shadows fandom. Anything other then the original is no good to them. Many of the original DS fans don't like 1991. I completely disagree with them. I feel that any Dark Shadows by Dan Curtis is Dark Shadows.

I really did want to see the 2004 pilot. I'm hoping they will play it at the Festival in July. I'm sure Mark Verheiden did a smashing job with the writing. He is a really nice guy. I met with him in person at last year's Sci-Fi Grand Slam.

I'm also sad he is not on Smallville anymore. He went back to comic book writing.

I'll look at your cast pictures later this evening and respond more fully to your casting ideas. Gotta get to work!

Comment

They do have the complete rivial series on Netflix... It's sad they never remade or continued it since the 90's. The twilight stuff is garbage compared to the "real" classics

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎