No announcement yet.

Welcome Back!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome Back!

Welcome back to the Dark Shadows forum at KryptonSite. Enjoy!

Re: Welcome Back!

Thanks.
    Last edited by WBCrazyGuy; 12-07-2004, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Nice to see that you still have a board for us.

Thank you,
      Tori

Comment

Could someone explain what this series is about to me, it sounds interesting. I would like to know more about it.

Comment

IMO Dark Shadows revolutionized how some authors depict their own vampires. I think Anne Rice was a fan, for one, and the show could very well have brought her the inspiration to write as well and as poignant as she does today.

But to answer your question, Dark Shadows was a show originated in the late 60's about a century and a half old vampire. By the time we're introduced to him, this Barnabas Collins, he's lived most of his undead years within a casket enclosed in a secret room in his family's mausoleum. He's released in 1967 by a young thief named Willie Loomis. Pardon me while I drool, but the guy playing him was HOT!!!!!!!!!!! Barnabas, thereafter, was reintroduced to the town he was born in. But this was now many years later and it was SORELY lacking in the familiar. Particularly, and most harshly, his family. So, for a while there was a thread of MYSTERIOUS deaths in the town of Collinsport as Barnabas struggled between his need to feed, his angst, and a growing fondness of his new surroundings. His story unravels from there and we find out later on that he was cursed by a witch-- Angelique-- with whom he had an affair (while engaged to his supposed precious love Josette). You learn of the trajedy that occurred to Josette, why Angelique became who she was and just when all the rest of the puzzle pieces come together, we're introduced to even more fascinating characters like Quentin (a werewolf), Reverend Trask (a holier than thou reverend), the new Collinses and their OWN demented secret-filled pasts and their friends. It's hard to discern whether this would be categorized as horror or sci-fi sometimes b/c it included a lot of time traveling, parallel time traveling, and I think-- at one point-- aliens. It's crazy. Give it a try. I guarantee one story or another will enthrall you. ~DJ
          Last edited by DynamiteKitty; 01-05-2005, 09:25 AM.

Comment

What she said.

First attempt that i know of to bring supernatural things, or at least vampires, into the present-day, and into present-day surroundings. No one else had ever tried to a soap opera that was this ambitious before. Do an original half-hour "play" every weekday, and you'll run into a lot of problems, especially if you're doing a period piece where elaborate costumes and sets are required, and there were numerous blown lines and mistakes, but the great aspects of the series more than made up for them.

I was one of those many kids who rushed home after school to see DS at 4 PM each day.

Comment

Apparently so was my cousin. It used to surprise me how many people would tell me that they, TOO, would run home from school every day just to see it. Wish it was as popular now as it was back then. I'd really love to see the reruns on soapnet or any other channel. I guess there's no longer a chance for it to be revived again? ~DJ

Comment

RE: "Any chance . . ."

The immediate reason several of us fans have gathered in this forum to remember Dark Shadows together is that there were promising plans to revive it as a new series for the WB, complete with a major-name producer and a talented writer (Mark Verheiden from Smallville, no less) and many signs of quality (although dedicated fans can quarrel and speculate about the quality of a remake until the sun burns itself out--several of us really got into it this time). Imagine our keen disappointment when the WB unexpectedly reversed its position and refused to pick up the show. Now--with a recent article in Fangoria and a recent interview from the original creator, Dan Curtis's, company--the wound of the lost remake continues to fester. Others believe the original (or its brief 1991 prime-time remake) is the real thing and cannot be improved; others--perhaps people with more sanity than I--will just let it go; stubbornly, I will continue to mourn the potential of a first-rate rethinking of this compelling material. (Maybe we're all ike Barnabas, trying to revive a long-dead lost love. Great, I just depressed myself . . .

Comment

Well, I'm finally in the film business, fellow fans! Well, I'm a storyboard artist on an independent werewolf film, anyway. But I vow that if I ever parlay that into a more important position, my main goal is to create a big screen franchise for Dark Shadows! Second goal is Kolchak, the Night Stalker.

Comment

Well, I seem to be the only one who posts here nowadays, so I get to say what I want! Yay! Well, truly, I someday hope to have the many and power to produce a Dark Shadows big budget feature film series (and, eventually, a Kolchak one, where I would play Kolchak). Currently, I am the storyboard/sketch artist for an Independent werewolf film called Lycan Rising, which you can read about at LycanRising.com. Anyway, just for fun, here's the cast I currently want for my Dark Shadows feature films (which I want to be in trilogy sets) somewhere down the line (hopefully, in about 10 years maybe, ha. Sooner would be better though, of course.

Dark Shadows: The Barnabas Collins Trilogy:

Barnabas: Me, Nathan James, naturally.

Victoria Winters: Rachael Leigh Cook

Willie Loomis: Elijah Wood

Roger Collins: David Hyde Pierce

Carolyn Collins: Kirsten Dunst

Dr. Julia Hoffman: Parker Posey

Elizabeth Collins-Staddard: Sela Ward

Rev. Trask: James Marsters

Maggie Evans: Katie Holmes

Professor Stokes: James Earl Jones

Joe Haskell: Tom Everett Scott

Angelique Bouchard: Hilary Duff

Dark Shadows: The Quentin Collins Trilogy:

Same cast as above, plus....

Quentin Collins: Hugh Jackman

Daphne Harridge: My little sis. She's in college for musical theater right now and I've promised her the role if this ever happens someday, ha.

Here are some mock ups:

And for more about me:

Opinions/suggestions welcome.
                    Last edited by slave2moonlight; 02-12-2005, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎