No announcement yet.

Mortal Kombat (2021)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortal Kombat (2021)

In Mortal Kombat, MMA fighter Cole Young, accustomed to taking a beating for money, is unaware of his heritage—or why Outworld’s Emperor Shang Tsung has sent his best warrior, Sub-Zero, an otherworldly Cryomancer, to hunt Cole down. Fearing for his family’s safety, Cole goes in search of Sonya Blade at the direction of Jax, a Special Forces Major who bears the same strange dragon marking Cole was born with. Soon, he finds himself at the temple of Lord Raiden, an Elder God and the protector of Earthrealm, who grants sanctuary to those who bear the mark. Here, Cole trains with experienced warriors Liu Kang, Kung Lao and rogue mercenary Kano, as he prepares to stand with Earth’s greatest champions against the enemies of Outworld in a high stakes battle for the universe. But will Cole be pushed hard enough to unlock his arcana—the immense power from within his soul—in time to save not only his family, but to stop Outworld once and for all?”

Mortal Kombat will arrive to theaters and HBO Max April 16, 2021.

First Trailer (Red Band)

Featurette

Comment

First 7 Minutes:

https://youtu.be/mKfzjGJu5do

Comment

I thought the movie was a C-

After watching this, I still prefer the original; even if I have more nostalgia for the ‘90s version. This was a reboot to a movie that was so bad that it was good. The main problem with this one is that it’s clear they were trying to set up possible sequels.

The story here was just meh...even though a film like this really doesn’t need any major plot...still, the beginning of the movie made it seem like it was going to be something. And to that point, as much as this was promoted like a Sub-Zero vs. Scorpion film, I needed a bit more about them.

Then we have the lead who was not the right fit. I’m not sure why they went with a new character (not even associated with video game). He was just fine, nothing special...especially when he was meant to be “special”.

I also needed a bit more martial arts or at least better. I know Sub-Zero’s Joe Taslim from the more recent “Warrior” series on Cinemax/HBO Max and they had better choreography there.

I did like Jax, Kung Lao, Liu Kang, Raiden and even Kano was a fun character to watch. I also definitely preferred Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Shang Tsung. The others were kind of meh.

The special effects were also great. The blood and gore was just the right level of over the top violence as you’d expect from a Mortal Kombat movie; I just wish there were more moments of ultra-violence. They just needed to go full on. Again, it felt more like they were setting things up for sequels instead of trying to make this movie as great as it could have been.
        Last edited by darkphoenix21; 04-24-2021, 10:41 PM.

Comment

It was average. My grade: C. The original is a bit better as mentioned above. Not much can be done with this particular story. I feel like if we get 9 of these movies they'll be equivalent to 9 Fast & Furious movies. Start off bad and get more ridiculous as they go on. The guy with the hat was the best character in the whole movie. He was cool.

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎