Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season 7 discussion

Disney+ released season seven.

"The New Deal"/"Know Your Onions"

Fun seeing Patton Oswald back as another Koenig. When he hears about Red Skull and the super soldier serum, I wish that he had said "pulp magazines", rather than "funny pages". Comic strips existed in 1931 (but did they cover sci-fi, at that point? Flash Gordon first appeared in 1934), but (according to Wikipedia) the first modern comic book wasn't published until 1933. "Pulp magazines" would've felt more period appropriate.

Liked seeing LMD Coulson having trouble adjusting to his new state. Daisy really getting on my nerves. Especially with her very tasteless domestic violence joke (it's never okay).

While the main characters are right about SHIELD (or the SSR) not existing in 1931, the founders and all original agents would've been alive. They don't stop to consider that Howard Stark (who is both a founding member of SHIELD and father of Iron Man. Linking Howard to two important factors in the future) or someone else might be a target.

"Alien Commies from the Future!"

Dear writers, if you want me to like Daisy, this is so not the right time to remind me of her conspiracy background (and have a conspiracy theorist be right about something).

Liked seeing Enver Gjokaj back as Daniel Sousa.

Thought that the boy, at the start of the episode, looked a bit like Tom Holland (from a distance). Maybe those two were Peter Parker's grandparents? Of course, that would require this show to be connected to the MCU (not just said to be for commercial reasons).

"Out of the Past"

And I take it, Peggy, nor anyone else, ever questioned what happened to Sousa's body? I do like Sousa becoming part of the group. A new addition to the main group, but one that we've already met (saving us time from having to get to know them).

"A Trout in the Milk"

SHIELD, in the 1970s, intend to launch Project Insight early, by putting weaponized satellites into orbit... I wonder what the Soviets might think about that (a matter that is given no consideration)?

Liked the reference to the SHIELD uniforms from the comics. Also liked Sousa's critique of the team.
    Last edited by jon-el87; 03-27-2021, 11:36 AM.

Comment

"Adapt or Die"

The main threat of the first half of the season is seemingly destroyed. Enter a new, superpowered threat, in Nathaniel Malick. Thought it was a bit obvious that Mack's parents had been replaced.

"The Totally Excellent Adventures of Mack and The D"

And we're stuck in the freaking 1980s. The sooner people get over this 80s nostalgia (that seemingly refuses to die) the better. Appears that Deke's team is a reference to the A-Team... which I've seen like one episode of (that was included on the DVD for another show). The title clearly references Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989)... which I've never seen (nor interested in checking out). The Coulson TV screen thing appears to be a reference to Max Headroom (again, never seen it). I did like that the Coulson TV bit makes it semi-clear that "Coulson" is entirely in the body of the LMD. It's not simply an avatar, controlled from the Zephyr. If the damage is too severe, Coulson can be done for good. He can't just jump back to the Zephyr, downloading himself into a new body, every time that his LMD body gets destroyed.

I must say that I like Coulson's new android state. Wish that it had been introduced sooner. Maybe at the start of the series, instead of in the final season.

Found it odd that, when Mack is depressed, his beard grows out (as he doesn't care to groom)... but his hair doesn't. Not only does it make the fake beard more obvious, but comes across like he grooms his head, but not his face.

"After, Before"

Nice to see Yo-Yo getting character development. They have her regain the power, establishing that she no longer bounces back to her point of origin. Though, I'm pretty sure that they dropped that a while back (at least it felt like they sometimes forgot it, and just had her be a character with super speed).

Though, not too thrilled going back to Afterlife, and Daisy's mother. With the family now being extended with Daisy's half-sister (because the writers are obsessed with Daisy).
      Last edited by jon-el87; 01-08-2021, 01:57 PM.

Comment

"As I Have Always Been"

Maurissa Tancharoen: "Sure, we can do an episode* without Daisy. But we have to quickly follow it up with an episode, that centers around Daisy, and has her in like every scene."

Bottle episode. Time loop. Though, the Zephyr constantly getting closer to the vortex gives it some stakes. No extended Daisy goofs around montage, like you often get when characters are stuck in a time loop.

Liked Coulson's reflections that this will be how his life will be from now on: Always seeing his friends die, while he goes on living.

* "The Totally Excellent Adventures of Mack and The D".

Comment

"Stolen"/"Brand New Day"/"The End Is at Hand"/"What We're Fighting For"

Jemma Simmons: "A story worth telling?" ("Story" = the whole series.)

Well, I guess it comes down to the personal opinion of the individual viewer.

Daisy's half-sister is revealed to be important for victory. Saw it coming, on the grounds that she is just that... Daisy's half-sister (and this show is essentially all about Daisy Johnson).

As I've noted before, I like Coulson's new state as an android, but wish that it had been done earlier, at the start of the series (ex. rather than resurrecting Coulson, have the one who shows up on this show be revealed to be Coulson's mind, uploaded into an android body). Don't feel like it's actually led to anything, in the grander scheme of things, with them doing it in the last 13 episodes. The android is still depicted as going by "Phil Coulson", at the end. He didn't make a choice to change his name to Aaron Stack (Machine Man) or something. Of course, to turn Coulson into Machine Man, they would've needed permission from Marvel (which appears to have been a constant issue with the show).

While it's admirable, that the agents want to help this other universe (rather than just leaving them hanging), it still doesn't change the fact that this entire season deals with a different universe, from the main (supposed) MCU. Of course, depending on whom you ask, this show (and the other TV shows: Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, The Punisher, The Defenders, Agent Carter, Inhumans, Cloak & Dagger and Runaways) either is or is not canon to the MCU. While a few movie characters have crossed over to this show (which I think essentially stopped, after season 2, outside of Gideon Malik (unnamed in the 2012 movie, so does he even count?) in season 3), no TV character ever has gone to the movies. The one exception, for all the shows, is James D'Arcy as Edwin Jarvis, showing up in Endgame. Which only raises the possibility (but does not prove) that Agent Carter is canon to the MCU, not the other shows. During the climax of Endgame, we don't see a single TV character emerge from a portal.

All the TV shows (including AoS) ignored the snap. Joel Gretsch appeared as Hank Thompson, in a second season episode of AoS, whose character is revealed to once having been a SHIELD agent named "Cameron Klein". The issue with that is that Aaron Himelstein appears in The Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron, as a SHIELD agent named "Cameron Klein". Either SHIELD has had two agents named "Cameron Klein" or they're not really in the same universe.

The big question is if the MCU will acknowledge or ignore the pre-Disney+ TV shows going forward. Will Kamala Kahn's origin tie into the Inhuman stuff on AoS? Will it be ackowledged? Will Glenn Talbot and/or Absorbing Man be on She-Hulk, despite both dying on AoS? Struggling to come up with other examples, as the big question is if Kevin Fiege even has any interest in using any of the characters, that have been used on television, again. The restrictions put on AoS can be read as: if a Marvel Comics character is introduced here, it means that Fiege has no intent on using them.

One thing is for sure: SHIELD will either be depicted as defunct, or still run by Nick Fury and not by Mack.
          Last edited by jon-el87; 01-09-2021, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Coulson's new state as an LMD does open up an easy way for him to return in future MCU projects, without requiring people to have seen AoS, to understand why Coulson is suddenly alive again. The MCU movies have already introduced Ultron and Vision. Two robots. Coulson is now a robot. He could easily show up somewhere, just say that he's an android (created by SHIELD), with the memories of the original Coulson (who is dead), and everyone's brought up to speed. No further explaination needed.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎