No announcement yet.

Spider-Man 3 (2021)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

[SPOILER] So I just came back from watching “Venom: Let There Be Carnage”…

The post credit scene is a doozy . So after a hard fought fight, we catch up to Eddie/Venom, while having some back and forth banter about a telenovela they’re watching in their hotel room, there’s a sudden flash of light and their dump of a room changes/upgrades to nicer accommodation; they’re confused about what just happened. Instead of the telenovela playing on tv, we see the broadcast of J. Jonah Jameson outing Peter…they just jumped to the MCU!!!

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!? Well, it’s a definite confirmation that Eddie/Venom will be in Spider-Man 3…but, to what extent? and what does it mean for Sony’s plans for Spider-Man and the MCU at large?
      [/SPOILER]

Comment

Comment

10/10!!!

I just saw it a few minutes ago…OMG!!! It was the best Spider-Man we’ve had to date!!! My head is still spinning over what I saw. Thankfully, I’m going to see it again tomorrow and will put up my full review sometime this weekend.

Comment

After watching it twice in theaters, I’m still so excited to see what’s to come in the next trilogy of movies.

There’s a lot to dive into…

[SPOILER] So it begins from exactly where Far From Home leaves off… Quentin Beck (aka Mysterio)/J. Johan James have just outed Peter as Spider-Man. I can’t believe how fast it went viral. I loved them swinging through the city and then them going through the subway…you can’t have a Spider-Man franchise without him a least going underground once, they’ve done it with all the movies (including Into the Spider-Verse).

When they finally got to the apartment, both times I saw it, the audience laughed out loud as May was dumping Happy and Peter/MJ arrived struggling to get the suit off it sounded like they were having sex and than them frantically going from room to room shutting doors and windows trying to tell them what just happened…in that moment you felt so embarrassed for both couples😅

So Damage Control arrives and they interrogate each of them separately. It would be poor Ned to spill the beans unintentionally. 😰

I’m don’t remember if this happens next but…Matt Murdock arrives🤭 as brief has it was to give them some legal advice. So happy that the rumors/the photos leaked were real. From getting Kingpin in Hawkeye to this, they’re slowly reincorporating Daredevil into the larger MCU. Hopefully this will eventually include Punisher, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage (not so much Iron Fist or at least that version).

So life goes on and back at school there’s a sharp divide of those that believed the Mysterio footage and those that believe in Spider-Man’s innocence. Even the teachers are divided as we saw with our three teachers. Everyone laughed as Hannibal Buress’ deadpan coach Wilson disagrees with everything the other two (Martin Starr & J.B. Swoove) were saying as they presented Peter with that shrine. Someone pointed out that it could have been coach Wilson who threw the brick that Murdock caught.

After three are not accepted to MIT because of the current circumstances Peter goes to see Doctor Strange for help. As we saw in the promos the Sanctum Sanctorum is now a snowy wonderland because of a botched spell…that wouldn’t have happened had the new Sorcerer Supreme, Wong, been since he was busy with new responsibilities. Wong never warns Strange not to do the spell instead he just tells him to leave him out of it. There seems to be something going on with Wong.

Ok so now we get to the nitty gritty…everything could have been avoided had there been better communication. Firstly, as we find out afterwards that Peter (and the others) never tried to call the MIT recruiters to plead their case. Secondly and most importantly, this was Doctor Strange’s fault…he never explained the perimeters of the forget-me spell (or whatever it was called) of who would remember Peter’s secret and who would not…instead we get the scene where Peter keeps changing the spell (5-6 times) in the middle of Strange casting it (meanwhile getting annoyed by Peter’s requests) to which it goes haywire. Strange stops/contain it. It’s after the spell is contained that we get the conversation they should have had prior😔 and instead of everyone forgetting his secret, the villains who know his secret come through to the MCU.

So after Strange throws Peter out for wasting his time, Peter tracks the MIT recruiter on the bridge to the airport where we get our first visitor and fight with Doc Ock. Otto doesn’t know that it’s not his Peter. Only after bonding with some of the nano
            bots does Peter reveal his face and confusion ensues for both. Peter turns the tables when he pairs the Stark tech to the tentacles thus controlling Doc Ock’s appendages and rescuing the recruiter who then agrees to reconsider their applications. All of a sudden we hear Goblin’s voice approaching and a pumpkin bomb thrown. This is when Doctor Strange teleports Peter and Otto to a holding cell. Strange explains to Peter the multiverse theory while Otto continues to look on in disbelief. Strange was able to capture Kurt Connors’ Lizard (off screen) as well.

Strange gives Peter the assignment of capturing the others who have appeared with a magical tracker but, he needs help. Ned and MJ arrive where we get another slightly different version of the scene from the promos where MJ and Strange have that back & forth and he gives the “Scooby-Doo” line.

The team track down and capture Max Dillon aka Electro who’s absorbing energy from a power grid when Flint Marko’s Sandman appears and assists Peter in capturing Max. It should be noted that this Electro is more Jaime Foxx than his nerdy bluish alternative in the previous Amazing Spider-Man movie. Both Max and Marko are than transported into their respective cells.

Elsewhere, Norman Osborn reclaims control of himself after a brief conversation with Green Goblin, he destroys his the mask. Osborn then goes to F.E.A.S.T. building, where he is treated by May before Peter arrives. Back at the Sanctum, while discussing their various battles with Spider-Man, it is revealed that some of them were pulled from their universes just before their ultimately deaths. It is also revealed that they were pulled from different periods of their timelines; this is why Otto thought they were chasing a ghost since Osborn died years prior in his timeline.

Strange prepares a spell contained within a box that will send the villains back to their respective universes to meet their fates, but Parker argues that they should first cure their powers and insanity, since doing so would prevent their deaths upon their return.

Parker steals the contained spell and tries to escape with it. Strange chases after him sending Peter into the Mirror Dimension. Peter is able to defeat Strange using math trapping him. It was a bit nerdy but, that’s Peter Parker to use his own intelligence to out smart his adversaries.

Peter takes the villains to Happy’s apartment where he successfully cures Octavius with Stark technology. It when Peter is tinkering with Max’s arc reactor that his tinkle is activated. He senses the turn in Osborns which actually happens during a short conversation with Otto when he comments that he’ll no longer have the other guy. You don’t see Osborn’s face but the voice change cues his turn into Green Goblin. He convinces the uncured villains to betray Peter and a fight ensues.

The Green Goblin fights Peter ramming him down through several floors to the lobby of the building. This is where Green Goblin launches the glider striking May. This is probably the scariest Goblin has looked and acted even from the OG franchise; it helped that that goofy mask was destroyed cause Defoe’s face can scare anyone😆. He tells Peter that there’s a price to pay before Goblin throws a pumpkin bomb at May while Peter tries to catch it. Before dying, May tells Parker
            "with great power, there must also come great responsibility" which is the actual line from the original comic book story line.

Back at Ned’s place he discovers that he can create portals using Strange's sling ring, which he and MJ use to try to locate Peter. The Peter that emerges from the portal turns out to be Andrew Garfield’s Peter Parker. This is the moment when both the theaters clapped in cheer. After this point I think most would agree that Andrew stole the shows.

So they try again, this time OG Tobey McGuire’s Spider-Man emerges from the portal. Both Peters have a sense that the MCU Peter needs their help, so they ask Ned & MJ where he would go to think. They head over to the school roof where the friends console Peter after May’s death. The other two Peters arrive and they come to the realization that they’ve had similar experiences of lose with uncle Ben/Gwen Stacy as well as been given the same speech.

So they come up with a plan to cure the rest of the villains. In the school lab they each take a villain to cure…OG Peter prepares an antidote for Norman, Andrew’s takes on Max and MCU Peter takes Connors. It’s in this scene that we get some of the best banter between three Peters…especially when the other two find out OG Peter’s web fluid is made in his own body while the other two make it.

So they use J. Johan Jameson’s news broadcast to lure the villains to the Statue of Liberty. This is where we get the best lines of the film…such as Max thinking that Andrew’s Spider-Man was black (alluding to Miles Morales). Later Andrew’s Peter is able to make the catch and save MJ… in that moment everyone cheered especially when you saw the tears in Andrew’s eyes.

Ned frees Strange from the Mirror Dimension, but Osborn arrives and destroys the boxed spell, rupturing the barrier separating universes. While Strange tries to maintain the barrier, an enraged Parker attempts to kill Osborn, but OG stops him. the Peter and our Parker inject Osborn with his cure, restoring his sanity.

Peter realizes the only way to protect the multiverse is to erase himself from everyone's memory and requests that Strange do the original spell causing everyone to forget that Peter Parker was Spider-Man. Peter promises MJ and Ned that he will find them again. The spell is cast, returning everyone to their respective universes and wiping everyone's memory of Peter in the MCU. Later on Peter attempts to reintroduce himself to MJ and Ned, but finds himself unable to do so after seeing the wound on MJ’s head and seeing how happy they were. While mourning at May's grave, he has a conversation with Hogan and is inspired to carry on without his identity, making a new suit and resuming superheroics.

They literally reintroduced Spider-Man as the down on his luck loner superhero with the Stark tech or support system. The fact of the matter is that he’s still in the MCU and it still looks like Feige is going to be collaborating with Sony in the next trilogy. So who knows, we may see Peter pop up in the larger MCU later on.

As for Venom whelp, as we saw in the post credit scene he was just getting drunk and was sent back to his universe but, not before leaving a little piece of him behind.
            [/SPOILER]

The movie raised many questions and hopefully they will be answered in the next trilogy and beyond. I can’t wait even if we don’t get our next solo movie until 2024 or beyond.

Comment

I don't give out A's everyday. This movie....best live-action Spider-Man movie to date. No liberal dumbs**t as far as I could tell. Just great storytelling. Willem Dafoe born to play Goblin. Alfred Molina born to play Doc Ock. Wow! Best movie of the year. Not even MJ spoiled this one. If I had to hear about slaves building the Washington Monument again I think that I would puke. Last movie I gave an A to was Aquaman. I've seen it twice already.

Comment

I have to correct myself. There was one line by Jamie Foxx that could be considered racist, but I'm sure that he can't help himself. This line creates a plot hole or paradox in the story. Dr. Strange said all these people drawn into this universe knew Spider-Man's identity. Ok. Electro said he thought Spider-Man would be black. Wouldn't he know that if he knew Spider-Man's identity was Peter Parker?

Comment

Originally posted by Glove
                  Not even MJ spoiled this one. If I had to hear about slaves building the Washington Monument again I think that I would puke.
                  I'm going to assume that you're not familiar with Elena from the One Day at a Time reboot or Marisol in Mr. Inglesias, if you think that MJ's line was vomit-inducing. Because those two could be insufferable (and a big reason why I gave up on both of those shows real quick. Another reason being: neither show made me laugh), with drawn-out speeches (and an inability to accept the opinions of others). MJ's Washington Monument line was like a two-second thing, that I took as MJ was trying to cover up something else. Most likely a fear of heights (haven't seen this one yet, but in Far From Home, she really didn't like web-swinging with Peter), as she was staring at how high that thing is (a second before saying it). Put in that type of situation, she would've had three options: 1) Admit to being afraid (in front of kids from school, who might tell everyone else, resulting in her being made fun of). 2) Go up to the top. Likely getting a panic attack, start crying, maybe risk wetting herself out of fear (in front of kids from school, resulting in her being made fun of at school). 3) Make up an excuse, to both avoiding having to go up in the scary tall building, and to save face.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                    I'm going to assume that you're not familiar with Elena from the One Day at a Time reboot or Marisol in Mr. Inglesias, if you think that MJ's line was vomit-inducing. Because those two could be insufferable (and a big reason why I gave up on both of those shows real quick. Another reason being: neither show made me laugh), with drawn-out speeches (and an inability to accept the opinions of others).
                    Whelp, your missing out on a great show (One Day at a Time)…both Elena & Marisol were meant to be insufferable. They were neurotic over achieving A-type people. Elena evolved as her “coming out” storyline went. It made me laugh because as a Hispanic I related to some of the struggles Penelope and the family went through (e.g. the citizenship episode).

Comment

Decided to rent it. Thought that the interactions between Tom, Tobey and Andrew were the highlight of the film. We're not given much of an insight into the current lives of Tobey and Andrew's Peter Parkers (when they talk about their craziest villains, to talk about their most recent movie appearances, in 2007 and 2014 respectively. Of course, they were talking about craziest villains, not most recent ones). Got mixed feelings on that. One of left with a question if they're lives have changed since we've last saw them. At the same time, it gives writers in the future (let's say that they made a mini series or another movie for either/both, for an eventual Sony streaming service (or is there already one?)) more free range, and not having to line up with "that one line in No Way Home, where Tobey's Peter said that he and Mary Jane have two daughters". What's important is that it doesn't feel like the legacy of either incarnation was being torpedoed, for the sake of Tom's Peter. His Peter takes command in the climax, but it feels organic. He has experience with working as part of a team, while Tobey and Andrew are used to working by themselves (and would therefore lack the skills to lead the trio).

Regarding the bit with Andrew's Peter helping Tobey's with his back... that moment probably sparked a few slash fics.

I appreciate that this was done after Endgame and Loki. Meaning that we go into this understanding that the three Peters curing the villains have no impact on the events of the five other Spider-Man movies. These villains are variants of the ones from those movies, not 100% the real deal. At the most, they might get sent to the universes of Tobey and Andrew, resulting in there now being two Flint Marko in Tobey's, and two Curt Connors in Andrews (as neither Marko or Connors died). Along with a living Norman Osborn, Otto Octavius, and Max Dillon, who turns up years after their deaths (basically being like the Gamora variant in Endgame). They've been cured, but who knows if that'll be permanent.

I like that we get to see some of Tom's Peter's life, after all memories of him have been erased. We know where he's going to live, and how he's going to handle now not having any type of high school degree. We're not left wondering about those things. I thought that I was going to dislike a mind wipe, fearing that it would mean a return to the status quo, but they did it in such a way that there were consequences. Everyone's forgotten about Peter Parker. He's completely cut off from friends, loved ones, and potential allies. He no longer has an in with Stark Industries (resolving the issue with this character having previously been seen as "Iron Man, Jr."). In fact, he has no life before any of this. "Peter Parker" might no longer even be a legal identity. Something that I hope that a future instalment will dive into. We don't know if he rents that apartment under "Peter Parker", or an aquired alias, that was gained either through hacking or by ghosting. Of course, if it was through hacking, he could've just used "Peter Parker". No need to use a new name like "Ben Reilly", which would be a nice homage to the comics, but only make sense if his new identity was acquired through ghosting.

MJ's full name is revealed to be "Michelle Jones-Watson", but she only wants to be called "Jones". Would've been nice to have an exploration of why. Problem with one of her parents? They establish her father (as in her living with him), but not reference to any mother. I guess that her father could be named "Jones", while she has a deadbeat mom who was named "Watson" (and she rejects to name, because her mother rejected her. Maybe she was even abusive towards MJ (like the father of Dunst's MJ), before leaving). However, as they make it clear that she doesn't like her full name, they should've explored it. Otherwise, don't have it be there. If anything, her having a deadbeat mom would give Peter a stronger motivation for wanting her to remember him. He doesn't want to cut her out of his life, like her mom did, when she took off.
                      Last edited by jon-el87; 04-14-2022, 07:56 AM.

Comment

I have seen Spider-Man: No Way Home. It was good to see the first two actors who played Spider-Man appear in this movie, along with some old super villains from the 2 previous spider-Man series in this movie.

Comment

I quite like that Andrew's Peter still hurts and mourns the death of Gwen, after about a decade. Perhaps The Amazing Spider-Man 3 never getting made was a blessing in disguise. A third film would've introduced Mary Jane Watson (who was supposed to be introduced in TASM2), with subsequent films focusing on their relationship. Potentially to the point that Gwen would've been forgotten.

Naturally, since the release of No Way Home, there have been renewed interest in both a fourth Raimi/Maguire/Dunst movie and a third Andrew movie. Seeing both get made could be interesting. However, they shouldn't go with the original ideas for those films, but dive into the lives of the two Peter Parkers, all these years later. You know, have Tobey and Kirsten's versions be married and have a daughter named May "Mayday" Parker. Have him be the Peter Parker who is now older, and dealing with the next generation of superheroes (his teenage daughter). Then do something different with Andrew's Peter. Maybe he's finally starting to move past the death of Gwen, and decides to start dating again. Or the plot involves him adopting a small child, as a single parent (though, the parenting angle feels like it might be too close to Tobey's Peter). Have Felicity Jones return as Felicia Hardy, and have her having been Black Cat for a while, and have there be a romance between her and Andrew's Peter. Creating a different dynamic from Tobey & Kirsten, and Tom & Zandaya (in that it's two superheroes romantically involved). They could do a variation of the Clone Saga with Andrew's Peter. His aunt May's passed away, in the years since TASM2. Leaving Andrew's Peter isolated, alone. He has no one. Suddenly, all of these Spider-Clones show up, with Peter developing a sibling-relationship with a few of them (Ben Reilly, Kaine, and, possibly, an adaptation of Ultimate Spider-Woman). Giving Andrew's Peter a new family. One that sets itself apart from Tobey's Peter's (clones, that becomes his brothers and sister. Instead of a wife, and a biological daughter, who inherits his powers), as would the film's plot.
                          Last edited by jon-el87; 04-24-2022, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎