No announcement yet.

New Batwoman May Not Be Kate Kane

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Batwoman May Not Be Kate Kane

I have thoughts on this, which are laid out in my post. What does everyone else think?

This definitely won’t go over well with many fans of the character and the story they set up from day one. They're essentially rebooting the series with a new character.

There’s ways around recasting that could tie into the story such as the multiverse after Crisis to explain the Kate Kane change without removing the main character of the series altogether. They could obviously just not explain the change; give the audience a chance to get used to a new actress as Kate Kane through marketing and promotion. If they still want to introduce this new character do so and/or make her a series regular.
    Last edited by darkphoenix21; 06-02-2020, 05:49 PM.

Comment

I had considered that possibility, when Ruby's departure was announced, but had ruled it out.

This means that they'll have to write out Kate Kane (in a situation that would open the Batwoman persona for usage by Ryan Wilder). Either have Kate quit and leave town (offscreen, if they can't get Ruby back for the first episode) or have Kate be killed off (meaning that they'll bury the lesbian protagonist. Granted, replacing her with another lesbian, but it wouldn't change the fact that they've concluded the story of the existing lesbian protagonist by killing her off), to explain away both her absense and why Kate never appears in the future. Either scenario could spark backlash.

I don't watch the show, so I can't comment on specifics, but it strikes me as likely that they'd have to replace some of the main cast. After all, when Marvel introduced Miles Morales, they didn't have him constantly hang out with May Parker and/or Mary Jane Watson. He had his own friends and family. Ryan Wilder is not Kate Kane, so she should have her own supporting characters. It'd be silly if Ryan's entire social circle would consist entirely of the same people as Kate Kane's.

Comment

I don't know. The description sounds more like Batwoman's sidekick than a replacement which would've been a good idea instead of replacing the 'Kate Kane character. To me much like Bruce Wayne is Batman, Kate Kane IS Batwomen. I don't think replacing the character entirely is a good idea.

This means that they'll have to write out Kate Kane (in a situation that would open the Batwoman persona for usage by Ryan Wilder). Either have Kate quit and leave town (offscreen, if they can't get Ruby back for the first episode) or have Kate be killed off (meaning that they'll bury the lesbian protagonist. Granted, replacing her with another lesbian, but it wouldn't change the fact that they've concluded the story of the existing lesbian protagonist by killing her off), to explain away both her absense and why Kate never appears in the future. Either scenario could spark backlash.
        Exactly why this idea is not going to workout. Fans have already invested into the show, into the character, and to change the character is not going to go over well the fans.

Comment

My guess is that they want to leave the window open for future appearances by Ruby Rose. Even so, it's a mistake. They should just recast the part. Make it look like the show is course correcting and starting out fresh.

Comment

Thought I'd throw a prediction out there, just for fun: the writers will have the Ryan Wilder character be revealed to be the (unknown) illegitimate daughter of Jacob Kane (making her the half-sister of Kate and Alice). Wouldn't be the first time that a TV show have done something like that (ex. when Charmed killed off Prue and introduced half-sister Paige).

I'm not saying that it'd be a good idea. I'm saying that it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

Comment

You know what, I think you might be right about that. That would make sense instead of having a some random character to be Batwoman. If that happens, I'll say you called it😉

Comment

Batwoman Boss Considered 'Soap Opera' Recast for 'Hot Minute,' Instead Chose 'Reboot' With New Character

https://tvline.com/2020/06/06/why-ba...cter-season-2/

Comment

Batwomen to kill off Kate Kane 😡 WTF!!!

Darn it, I hope this isn't true.
                  A new report claiming Ruby Rose's character will be killed off in Batwoman's second season has been debunked.

Comment

This story gets worse and worse by the day. What was the point of the first season, than? They should have left the series for this year (as in 2021 with everything on hold because of COVID19). I mean did they know Ruby’s intentions to call it quits before the first episode of the series. If they knew she felt like quitting during the crossover maybe that would have been the best time to have gotten a new Batwoman for the series. They do that with pilots all the time. If we knew as an audience that the actress we saw in the two crossovers wasn’t the same one we were getting in the series than it would have been a moot point.

Comment

They are not going kill 'off' Kate Kane.🤨

"Batwoman" Kate Kane will indeed be gone, but alive and kicking, when The CW series opens Season 2 in early 2021.

That's better, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎