No announcement yet.

X2 (2003)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X2 (2003)

Attempting to recreate a few posts, erased by the recent server crash. Having rewatched all the Fox X-Men movies recently (apart from Dark Phoenix, which I haven't gotten around to and feel might be too recent to do a proper retrospective rewatch), this is the best one. The rest of the X-Men don't feel as much like Wolverine's side-kicks in this one.

I like that scene between Magneto and Pyro, where Magneto asks Pyro's real name. The scene really created the feeling that there is a deeper meaning to why some mutants either picks up an additional "mutant name", with some dropping their human name entirely. Not just "oh, Pyro's 'Pyro', because that's what he's called in the comics", but something that is part of their self-identity. Some (like Jean Grey) don't have "mutant names"; some use one, while still using their human one (like Scott Summers/Cyclops); some abandon their human name, entirely taking identifying by their "mutant name" (like Mystique, who, in The Last Stand, labeled "Raven Darkholme" a slave name). It sets them apart as individuals. Gives the idea that there are many different paths for mutants, rather than one singular idea of how they should look at themselves.

Liked Bobby's coming out to his family scene. It was something that we didn't get to see, in the first movie. Rogue's powers just manifested, then we next saw her in Canada, having left home... for unknown reasons (even if she's likely a runaway).

Nice seeing Kitty Pryde having a continued presence. Colossus shows up in a minor role and Dr. Hank McCoy makes a cameo, establishing both for the next movie.

When Mystique breaks into Stryker's office, there's a lot of names on the computer screens. Among them, is Wade Wilson. X-Men Origins wasn't a good movie, but it's nice to go back and find that an earlier movie establishes that, not only does Wade Wilson exist, but Stryker is aware of him. So, there is no contraction (with that), when a prequel shows Stryker and Wade having once worked together.

In regard to Marvel Studios acquiring the rights to the X-Men, there one element, with Xavier's school, that I hope carries over: the feeling that this is an actual school, not "superhero high". Here, we're shown them taking regular classes and going on field trips. In the first movie, Xavier notes that it's up to the students to decide what will happen to them: they can rejoin the world, as educted young people. Or stay on an teach others, becoming an X-Man, if they want to. They're not there to train to be superheroes, they're there to learn to control their powers (and get an education, that would be difficult in a mutantphobic world, where many schools would likely expell them for being mutants... or mistreat them until the mutant students drop out).
    Last edited by jon-el87; 03-08-2020, 02:08 PM.

I saw this movie on video, this Friday. I has to post that I like it.

Comment

This movie is apparently packed with actors who had or would go on to appear on Smallville. In fact, the entire Drake family was played by actors who had appeared on the show. So they had no excuse to not have Hugh Jackman make a cameo appearance on Smallville. Now that would've been one hell of a crossover.

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎