Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vengeance on Varos (Classic era serial)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vengeance on Varos (Classic era serial)

How could you do a commentary on violence on TV... without showing violence on TV? And that is what we're dealing with here. They keep cutting to a couple sitting in their home, watching constant violence, with little concern if anyone gets hurt. They've been desensitized from watching too much violence; which isn't fictional violence (when something pretends to be shot or punched), but people being tortured for real.

There are shades of 1984 over this story. Might've been because it was made in 1984. In the same year, they made a filmadaptation of the novel starring John Hurt (the War Doctor), which was shot during the very dates that it takes place.

First appearance of Sil. I like that he's repulsed by Peri. A common cliché that I've noticed with aliens (including non-humanoid aliens) is a tendency to be attracted to human females. Here, the non-humanoid alien is not. Looking back at the two stories that he was in, I kind of wish that they'd bring him back for the modern series.

Being part of season 22, it consists of two 45 minute episodes, rather than four 25 minute episodes. Despite being the same (total) length, I prefer this format over 25 minutes episodes.
Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎