No announcement yet.

Gotham #5.9 "The Trial of Jim Gordon"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aries83
    I totally understand. I feel the same way about Nygmobblepot. They had a chance to do something with two iconic characters that could've really made an impact, but they wasted it, either because they feared a bad reaction (or DC Comics restricted them from doing it), whichever the case.

Sure, it finally seems that Ed has let go of the incident with Isabella and Oswald made the flippant remark, "Maybe we're really meant to be together," before they both had a chuckle about it. It will go down as the biggest wasted opportunity of the series, at least for me.

I find it odd that they haven't even referenced Montoya (or Crispus Allen) since Season 1, though. Surely, they are still around?
    It seems that Gotham is full of wasted opportunities. So many things that they could've explored, better ways that they could have written scenes. And so on forth.

I'm still bitter over the fact that they didn't go down the "twin sister looking for revenge" route with Nygma. I was so sure they were gonna do that... and they didn't.

And yeah, it seems like they just forgot about Montoya completely. Maybe she's not with the dept anymore?
    Last edited by Aurora Moon; 03-11-2019, 11:16 PM.

Comment

This may sound a bit far fetched and controversial, but I think Barbara being bisexual was mostly designed to attract more male viewers (for obvious reasons). In the early 2000s it became common practice for shows to use erotic moments between women to appease their young male demographic. I can tell when shows resort to that trick because I used to be one of those young males.

Barbara's bisexual side was never truly explored, if you think about it. The Montoya thing was a mere tease (they ended one episode with a cliffhanger that she cheated on Jim with Montoya and in the next episode she and Montoya were at odds again ). And then her flirting with Tabby was an even more blatant insentive for guys to tune in. It was disguised as "Look at these two crazy women have some fun by torturing people and then making out". Barbara's serious relationships on the show have only been with men. Even Ra's felt more like her soulmate than Montoya or Tabitha did.

To be fair to the show, I don't think they set out for Barbara to be a bisexual woman who cheats and who's crazy. The crazy part of her character came after they decided to change her character because viewers complained about her too much. But Aurora Moon is definitely right when she says that they used the "unfaithful bisexual" stereotype from the off.

All that said, as a neutral viewer on these topics, I'd have to say that the biggest bait and switch was indeed Nygmobblepot. They teased that relationship very heavily at certain moments and then it led to nothing. Either because they got cold feet or because they were trying to trick gay viewers into watching (I don't know which scenario is worse). Either way, if I was one of those viewers, I would have been pissed off.

Mind you, I've repeatedly said that I'd prefer it if Gotham had as less romance as possible. But if you're going to do it, do it right.

Comment

sadly, that trope is so prevalent today that TV tropes even have a name for it. Queerbaiting. although they're looking for a better name for it now?

From what I've seen in other shows, it seems that Gotham actually isn't even the number one worst offender of this trope. But Gotham does come pretty close.

In case you were wondering, the British show Sherlock is actually the number one offender in recent years, according to most sources. You thought Nygmobblepot was bad? Try Sherlock and Waston, that's a ship they've been constantly teasing for years, even making other characters on the show think the two are gay until they clear up the hilarious misunderstanding.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎