Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arrow's 8th season to be the last one.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ironic thing, like Evaba said, is that there probably is truth to the fact that the show is ending due to a cast departure. Because, at the risk of repeating myself, I don't think the show would have ended like this if Stephen was willing to extend his contract.

But really, how can we blame any actor for a decision like this? It's not an easy life and I suspect each actor has his or her breaking point. Stephen's is now. Barrowman's was after season 5. Willa's was after season 6. Echo's is now (and truth be told, Curtis overstayed his welcome after season 4). Katie Cassidy is married now and I suspect family and different projects will be higher on her to do list than more Arrow seasons. I don't know what EBR and Ramsey's mindsets are right now, but they probably have a burnout of their own to deal with. They've been on the show since season 1 nonstop. It's selfish to expect these actors to be tied to a show forever.

If the CW had their way, Arrow would carry on as long as Supernatural. But not every lead actor can commit to a show like Jensen and Jared did. And not every show can reinvent itself like Supernatural did. If Stephen's decision has indeed forced the CW to end this show sooner, then more power to him.

Originally posted by Haggard01
    No I left after 6x01 but I was done following season 5 where I just more of finished it out to see Oliver's flashbacks close out. Frankly I was done back in season 4 or 3 when the show went massively down hill.

Yeah it is still a relief to see Arrow end and yeah no kidding on Smallvile for how they milked it.

Frankly I'm glad for similar reasons of Gotham ending so they can't turn Gotham into Supernatural or Smallville.
    Me too. Realistically, a 5-year cycle is usually the way to go when we're talking about shows centered around one hero. Especially when they have 23 episodes per season.

That said, I don't want to blame just Arrow for my disengagement in 2017. It just reached the point where all 4 Arrowverse shows felt like going in cycles. Same kind of storylines, same kind of melodrama, same kind of force-fed political commentary. I actually made my peace with Arrow's Olicity-driven drop in quality by season 5. But when The Flash started deteriorating, that was when I made up my mind.

Comment

Like most responces I too feel somewhat sad, but happy in a way that it would be about the right time to conclude the series.

I think the storyline is about complete and told.

I'm not a fan of 'New Team Arrow' and 'Mayor Queen storyline' and I think the show lost a lot of momentum with the loss of the old team.
      IMHO the show was drifting the past few seasons and just going through the motions.

I hope they don't kill off Oliver. I think Oliver might get injured (e.g. arm cut off) and retire, handing the mantel to someone else.... say Diggle
      then Diggle to Diggle's son etc

Comment

I won't go on much about GA's five-year arc as most viewers and fans would largely agree that they've pretty much told Oliver Queen's story by the end of S5. I feel that with some story tweaking they could very well have made the S5 finale a series finale, if they were willing to leave some questions unanswered or be vague. S6 and S7 have tied up most of the remaining loose ends in my view.

(I'm ignoring the so-called anticipation/nonsense of a bona fide Olicity baby -- this was more shipper driven "buzz" as it hasn't really been the number one focus on the show on-screen that it's being made out to be. It barely registers with current Arrow viewers like me, other than as a fact it's happening.*shrugs*)

I give SA full points for sticking to his guns here. He's been signalling that GA's journey may be ending even before S7, when he urged all involved in the show to handle this season as if it was the last one -- and it's largely played out like that. Arrow was never perfect but I think it's wise for them to check out while they still have the means to do it on their own terms. The show hasn't been the Arrowverse ratings leader -- that title (burden) belongs to Flash, but Arrow has actually performed a bit better than either LoT or Supergirl this fall, in no small part to Arrow's mostly solid prison arc. The second half has been slower, but still it's an improvement from S6.

SA has always admired Supernatural, so I was initially nervous he'd drag out Arrow longer than needed. Eight seasons is more than even they might have expected back in S1, and virtually unheard of in the current network landscape where reaching only four or five seasons is considered good (excluding Law and Order, NCIS type shows that seem to have no expiry date).

Echo and Willa leaving had zero to do with it. SA sensibly didn't want to continue beyond S8, as is his right. He must have heeded Justin Hartley's warning long ago not to sacrifice his body on the job so much.

Another plus of a final season is, free from concerns about renewal, placating the network or needing to launch other shows, Arrow can tell its story and wrap it up on their terms. CW may want a soapy, "Everyone lives!" ending, but SA and Arrow may just think screw that, not even give Oliver a TDKR ending (still a possibility), and go for broke without fear ... aka the death and glory ending the shippers fear but comics fans may expect. And if SA and the show is on board with it, all the tweets and Facebook likes in the world wanting octuplets and domestic bliss aren't going to change it since the show is ending.

It also makes sense re: Batwoman, arguably the first of the next-gen of these CW DCTV shows. It'll be occupying the "grounded/darker/gritty" real estate that Arrow will soon vacate, so it's logical that Arrow exits soon so they can put Batwoman on the schedule.

Comment

I wonder if Stephen's decision is triggered by the fact that his buddy Cody Rhodes is starting out his own wrestling company and wants him onboard. Stephen is actually pretty good at it.

Comment

Was thinking about this during my break at work today. Due to the fact that season 8 will only be 10 episodes, do you see them holding off on the DVD release for season 7 until season 8 is done and then releasing seasons 7 and 8 together as one set on DVD and blu ray? I dont think people would buy a shortened season 8 of only 10 eps so i could see them saying hey season 7 will be released in a set with season 8 when the season is over. Well they may buy a shortened season but i doubt they could charge as much for a full season or 22 or 23 eps.

Comment

It was good while it lasted. I'm kind of numb to these things after Smallville, so it's not really going to effect my life. I'm glad the show had such a good run, and wish the cast luck in their next roles.

Comment

I guess I'm in the minority here but I wouldn't have had a problem with them going the Supernatural route.
                Supernatural also struggled heavily after it's original 5 years run was over and seasons 6 and 7 suffered because of it. But the show got back together again and I'm currently seeing the same thing with Arrow. It's like they finally found their grove again.

I actually hope that they don't just kill him off though.
                Seeing him in Crossovers and cameos would be really nice.

Also every once in a while a TV movie special could be made.
                You know 2 hours just on point without all the drama filler to fill out a whole season.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin 3:16
                  Was thinking about this during my break at work today. Due to the fact that season 8 will only be 10 episodes, do you see them holding off on the DVD release for season 7 until season 8 is done and then releasing seasons 7 and 8 together as one set on DVD and blu ray? I dont think people would buy a shortened season 8 of only 10 eps so i could see them saying hey season 7 will be released in a set with season 8 when the season is over. Well they may buy a shortened season but i doubt they could charge as much for a full season or 22 or 23 eps.

I imagine they will be separate releases. I use Nikita as an example. Season 4 which was their last was only 6 episodes and they didn't add that onto the season 3 release.....they had 2 separate releases. I see the same thing happening with Arrow seasons 7 and 8 releases.

Comment

Yeah, I suspect the releases will be separate as well. More cash to be made that way.

Comment

I guess I should post this here since it's somewhat related. EBR will leave the show after season 7:

'Arrow': Felicity Smoak leaving ahead of final Season 8 — actress Emily Bett Rickards announces CW series exit.

I am honestly surprised at this. Season 8 won't be too long and I thought she would stick around until then. She will probably still appear in the finale, I'm guessing. No reason to kill Felicity off at this point (they have already established that she lives in the future).

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                        I guess I should post this here since it's somewhat related. EBR will leave the show after season 7:

'Arrow': Felicity Smoak leaving ahead of final Season 8 — actress Emily Bett Rickards announces CW series exit.

I am honestly surprised at this. Season 8 won't be too long and I thought she would stick around until then. She will probably still appear in the finale, I'm guessing. No reason to kill Felicity off at this point (they have already established that she lives in the future).
                        unless they decide to kill her off in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by shy175223
                          Yeah they always could do that.

Really a part of me is wondering if they even came up with this Olicty kid story line and her being raised in hiding so EBR could leave.

Comment

I was surprised at first about her leaving, but it makes sense based on the future story this season. Dinah and Renée didn’t know she had a baby so she can’t be around them too much longer. I’m willing to guess that she’ll be in the finale though.

Comment

Originally posted by shy175223
                              They could, but I think it would be anti-climatic. If you're going to kill off a major character, you do it in the main storyline and with other major characters around. Killing off Felicity in the season's secondary arc while Oliver and Diggle aren't around just won't resonate.

Comment

She really won't be gone in season 8 because I'm pretty sure she will get mentioned ALOT.....

And yeah, unless they do a stone cold "killing off" she will definitely be in the season 8 series finale.....that's a pretty safe bet.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎