No announcement yet.

In-Name-Only characters

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-Name-Only characters

Does anyone else have a problem with Supergirl's vast amount of in-name-only characters? Agent Liberty is just the latest. Agent Liberty was a hero. he was a member of the Justice League. This villain that Sam Witwer is playing? I'm a Sam Witwer fan, but that is NOT Agent Liberty. They turned Agent Liberty into a hate monger.

Previously I complained that James Olsen and Snapper Carr were in-name-only characters. With James Olsen it's easy to point out the race change. Now let me stress, I have no issues with that. James' race is irrelevant. My issues are with the way he's portrayed. He's too cool, too good looking, too confident. That's not Jimmy. Heck, they don't even call him Jimmy. Now some will say "but it's an older Jimmy. He's changed.' Ok...fair enough. But how much can you change a character before he become unrecognizable? How much can you change a character before they become a whole new character? Superman is more than a set of powers. If I gave Frank Castle all of Superman's powers, that wouldn't make him Superman. It's his personality. His desire to fight for truth, justice, and the american way. His powers are secondary. It's who he is inside that makes him Superman. Is't the same true of Jimmy Olsen?

And then Snapper Carr. Snapper was a cool beatnick kid who liked to snap his fingers a lot. Now that wouldn't fly today, but you can update that. Basically for Snapper to be Snapper, he should be YOUNG and COOL. (Just make him cool by the standards of the day, and not a finger snapping beatnick). When you bring in a cranky, grizzled balding middle ages reporter, nothing about that character says 'Snapper Carr' to me at all. And why bring back such an obscure character only to alter him so unrecognizabley? AT least Jimmy Olsen has name recognition. The average viewer who's never picked up a comic most likely wouldn't even know who Snapper Carr was. So why do it? To what end?

In any event, I do love the show. I just find these changes to be odd.

Good observation. This bugs me about the show too. What's the point of naming characters after iconic comic book counterparts if they are unrecognizable? People who don't know the names are going to be oblivious and people who do are only going to say "Huh? That's strange."

Comment

This sort of thing used to bother me too.

For example: smallville.It bothered me when they made Lana Lang this biracial asian girl, instead of having her be this familiar redhead girl from the comics. But then I remind myself that this is in fact an alternate universe. The redhead Lana Lang from the comics is still around, so it wasn't like Kristen Kreuk permanently changed Superman canon forever.

Remember, Supergirl and other CW shows just pretty much confirmed the existence of a multi-verse. So, it should help to think of the CW shows as a AU story while the comic series are the "main universe". So in the multiverse there's dozens of white Jimmy Olsens out there, and this universe the TV show is set in just happened to have the one rare Jimmy Olsen who was black.

Likewise, there's heroic Agent Libertys out there. It's just bad luck that in Supergirl's universe he happens to be evil. Or maybe a well-intentioned extremist.

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎