No announcement yet.

Aladdin (2019)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aladdin (2019)

Aladdin is a live-action adaptation of Disney's 1992 animated film of the same name directed by Guy Richie, which was based on the Arab-style folktale of the same name. The film stars Mena Massoud in the title role of Aladdin alongside Will Smith as the voice of Genie, Naomi Scott as Princess Jasmine, Marwan Kenzari as Jafar and Navid Negahban as the Sultan.

Teaser Poster

Teaser Trailer

When that cave mouth opened...goosebumps.

Comment

I don’t know about this one...

Trailer Clip

Comment

Just be happy he didn't have his son play Aladdin, mate...

Comment

A thrilling and vibrant live-action adaptation of Disney’s animated classic, “Aladdin” is the exciting tale of the charming street rat Aladdin, the courageou...

Aladdin SPEAKS!! (Finally.)

Hopefully, they'll address an issue from the original. Aladdin's second wish is to become a prince. Then, at the end, the Genie tells Aladdin that all he has to do is make a wish to become a prince again (so, did the Genie just dress him up as a prince, not magically bestow him a title or something?).

Comment

I was worried that Iago was going to be silent in this movie, but it turns out Alan Tudyk is voicing him. Good pick.

Comment

The Betterment of Aladdin (Part 1/2)

Who grew up watching animated Disney films? These films were what made up most of my childhood, and when I discovered that there was going to be a live-action remake of the 1992 film Aladdin, I was ecstatic. The animated Aladdin had a lot of questionable components to it that only become noticeable to me as I got older, so I was curious on how the live-action remake was going to be different. I have watched other live-action remakes that I liked a lot, maybe even more, than its animated counterparts. This past weekend, I watched the live-action adaptation of Aladdin, and I was not disappointed. The live-action actually made the story of Aladdin more interesting and developed compared to the original. The live-action adaptation of Aladdin improved the original film’s story in so many ways, but some changes that stood out to me were the inclusion of more supporting characters, the increase in relationship development, and the increase in female independence and empowerment.

The Supporting Characters
              Did anyone notice how in the animated film, there was no one in the palace besides the sultan, Jasmine, and Jafar? It was too empty, and I wondered where the maids and guards were. The live-action remake fixes this question by adding supporting characters that actually have a purpose in the plot and even some background.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hakim.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	6628628
              (https://disney.**********/wiki/Razoul)
              The first supporting character is a guard named Hakim. He was not present in the animated film, but his inclusion is one aspect that helped develop the film. This character had morals and resolved himself to follow the sultan. When Jafar made himself the sultan, it was realistic to have a guard have to choose between his duty to the law or to the man who was no longer sultan. The fact that Jasmine appeals to his loyalty through his upbringing in the palace provides Hakim with more backstory than any side character in the animation had. His decision to choose the side of the sultan and Jasmine over Jafar’s sends the message that one sometimes has to follow his or her heart over duty.

Name:	Dalia.jpg
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	6628629
              (https://disney.**********/wiki/Dalia)
              The second supporting character that helped improve the story was Dalia. Her role in the film as Jasmine’s handmaiden helped show that the princess was not isolated in the palace. In the animated film, Jasmine was devoid of any human interaction, and the inclusion of Dalia as her friend and confidante helped Jasmine seem less isolated since she had someone to confide in. Also, Dalia served as the Genie’s love interest and this addition helped change the Genie’s fate as well. Her role gave the Genie a chance at love in his new status as a human.

Name:	MV5BZWMxZmVjN2UtMDA3NS00YWRiLTkxNzItYjk0NmE0ZDJjYjkxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg2NjQwMDQ@._V1_SY1000_SX15.jpg
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	6628631Click image for larger version

Name:	MV5BZmRiM2I0OGUtMDkwMy00OThjLWFiZDMtYWVhOTdhOTJmNTJmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg2NjQwMDQ@._V1_SY1000_SX15.jpg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	6628630
              (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6139732...wer/rm15228928) (left image)
              (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6139732...r/rm4216560129) (right image)
              The live-action film improved the animation’s story due to its addition of new characters. Hakim provided more to the story by showing how one could be divided between his or her duty and heart. Dalia provided Jasmine with the friendship that was withheld from her and the Genie with the love that he was not given in the animated film.

The Development of the Relationships
              Another major way that the remake improved the story from the animated film was the increase in the development of certain relationships.

Name:	MV5BOWM2NTA3YmMtMjZlMi00NDU0LWEzOTctZWQxODM4YTdiM2M5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg2NjQwMDQ@._V1_SY1000_SX15.jpg
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	6628632
              (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6139732...er/rm251881216)
              Aladdin and the Genie are an important relationship throughout the film. In the live-action, the friendship between the two had more time to grow since they were given more opportunities to bond and interact with each other. For instance, during the dance at the party, Aladdin and the Genie were communicating through their facial expressions and gestures. Aladdin was shown to be relying on the Genie for help to keep up his prince facade, which was not addressed in the animated version. Also, the two have a discussion on whether Aladdin is the Genie’s friend. The fact that the film addressed the status of their friendship is a major improvement from the animation since it was clear that the Genie said that Aladdin never had a friend like him, but not the other way around.

Comment

Actually, I loved watching the live remake of "Aladdin". But I missed Robin Williams's version of the Genie character.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎