No announcement yet.

The New Her

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Her

Author’s Note: The following story is intended to be a sort-of prequel to “Tornado” (and its sequel “Hurricane”). I decided to write a story that fleshed out certain things I talked about in chapter 3 of that story.

Chapter 1
    ”You need a life.” What Lois had said echoed through the mind of Tess Mercer, as she walked through the streets of Metropolis on a rainy night, clutching an umbrella. Making her way from the apartment of Lois Lane and Clark Kent back to S.T.A.R. Labs. The closest she’d had to a home on this planet for months, since the destruction of the old Watchtower building. Tess used to live in a mansion. Now she lived in a small space at S.T.A.R. Labs, when she wasn’t at the Watchtower outpost on the moon. She and Emil had broken up months ago, so Tess didn’t have a social life outside of missions with the League and occasional visits to the other members homes for dinner. Every time she went to them, she felt like an obligation that the others fulfilled, rather than a proper guest.
    But, getting an ordinary civilian life had been something Tess had put off for a long time. Some part of her had held onto the fantasy that one day she could officially become Tess Mercer again. A fantasy that she knew couldn’t happen. She was an android now. How could she prove that she really was Tess Mercer? She couldn’t pass any DNA test. Not to mention, there was a corpse in a grave - right next to Lionel Luthor’s - that could be used to disprove her claims in a court of law. Besides, Tess wasn’t so sure she’d want to live publicly as Tess Mercer, the android. Certain rights – in fact, any rights– didn’t extend to androids. No, if she wanted to have any rights – especially the right to vote – she’d have to start over. Set herself up with a new human identity. A new her to present to the outside world. But, Tess already knew, as she stepped into S.T.A.R. Labs, that she wouldn’t be able to do it herself.
    No doubt, she would be able to set up all the records, but now she was thinking of becoming a brand-new person. She had used an alias a few times, during her time with Checkmate, and after she went underground to hide from them. But, they had only been temporary. Now Tess was thinking of creating something long-lasting. A permanent new identity. With her past aliases, she had shown up somewhere for a few days, then vanished. Either returning home to her regular identity and assuming a new identity. Tess didn’t doubt that there were more to it, if she wanted to create a lasting identity. Someone she could become and remain as for the next 10-15 years. She didn’t age anymore, so she figured that would be the window she’d have, before she’d have to abandon her new identity and set up herself with a new one. Tess knew that there was only one man who could help her.
    Last edited by jon-el87; 10-30-2018, 01:49 PM.

Chapter 2
    “Have you thought of a name yet?” Bruce Wayne asked Tess, as they were seated next to each other on the couch in the library of his mansion, while Alfred poured them some tea and then left. Tess could never get past how more beautiful this place looked than the Luthor Mansion. Real classic architecture and bookcases filled with books. “Please, tell me it’s not ‘Jane Smith’…” Bruce added.
    “No, I haven’t gotten that far…isn’t ‘Jane Smith’ a bit too lazy?” Tess replied.
    “It is. It screams fake name. If you want a convincing new name, don’t go with ‘Smith’, but also don’t go for an extremely rare name. The first rule to living under an assumed identity is: don’t be conspicuous. Here, I got this for you…” Bruce handed Tess a book.
    “Baby names…?” Tess said puzzled.
    “Flip through it, find some you like…about your appearance… What were you planning there?” Tess hesitated for a while.
    “I figured I’d look the same.” She finally got out. “Perhaps a different hair color, to differentiate my new persona from Tess Mercer. Unless that’s too little…”
    “Not with how little Clark gets away with… Besides, there’s always look-a-likes. Just as long as you don’t set yourself up in Smallville or Metropolis…”
    “Or Houma, Louisiana…it’s where I grew up. Not that I’m in the mood to go back there. Too many bad memories.”
    “I know. As long as you set yourself up in another town or city…Preferably another state, you should be fine.” Bruce paused, as Tess continued looking through the baby names book. ”Just don’t call yourself ’Tess Jenkins’. Your real name plus the name of your mother may be easy to remember, but if anyone notes a resemblance between your new self and Tess Mercer, the same first name and the last name of Mercer’s biological mother would be a dead giveaway. How will you deal financially? Do you need a job?”
    “I have some money, in several bank accounts, under false names. Set them up, right before I had to run from Checkmate. Never got the chance to empty the accounts. In total, I’d say it’s over $36 million.”
    “Good, then you won’t need to worry about getting a job at the moment. Employers would wanna see a resume. Check you up with your former employer. Regardless of that, I’ll arrange for an apartment in the city of your choice. Allow you to build up your recent past, before you move to your new home. Otherwise, you’d show up out of thin air, with a moving truck, that didn’t seem to have any past address for you. An address where people could remember you, if someone shows up and starts asking questions. It also gives you time to get some belongings. Preferably vintage…”
    “Why?”
    “If you show up anywhere and your home is filled with nothing but new items, people will be suspicious. Just because you have the money, doesn’t mean your new self would buy all brand-new things. There are things in this mansion that’s been here for over a century. But, belongings aren’t your only concern. After you’ve picked a new name, we’ll need to give you a complete backstory. Birth certificate and records are just the tip of the iceberg, Mercer. Who was the first boy you kissed?”
    “Alec… His name was Alec Holland.”
    “First girl?”
    “Megan…you know about that?”
    “Yes.”
    “I guess you wouldn’t be much of a detective otherwise.”
    “No. It’s little details like that that’s important. When you’ve assumed your new identity, you’ll need to have answers to who was your first kiss. What did you do for your 12th birthday? Who was your best friend at school? Failing to answer these questions would arise suspicion. But, giving the correct answers could blow your identity. If someone checked up with Mr. Holland, they’d learn that the girl he kissed was named ‘Tess Mercer’ and not whom you’ve been claiming to be.”
    “So, what should I do? Invent fictional boyfriends and friends?”
    “To an extent, yes. But, base them on real people. It helps you to be consistent. If you invent a fake jerk ex-boyfriend, base him on someone real. Not necessarily someone you’d like to date, but someone you could see yourself breaking up with. As for your finances, explain away that you inherited the money from your late father.”
    “Not far from the truth.”
    “Exactly. It also provides you with an explanation as to why you, a young woman in her 20’s, have $36 million in your bank account. Have you picked a name yet?” Tess put down the baby name book.
    “A few.” Tess replied and got up from the couch.
    “Good. We’ll look over them tomorrow, for the final selection. Then we’ll find a city to send you, the bigger the better, where you can establish your recent past.” Bruce got up and departed the library. “Goodnight, Ms. Mer… whomever you shall soon become.” He added, before retiring to his bedroom.
    Last edited by jon-el87; 10-30-2018, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Chapter 3
      The next few weeks had seemed to have just flown by. After her first meeting with Bruce, she had spent five days with him, creating her fake backstory and rehearsing it. Tess had told him that in her digital state, she didn’t need to, but he had insisted. Even after she left him, she kept going over the facts. She was now an heiress. Her father was a man named Jules. Jules had struck it rich, thanks to some investments, he’d done in the 1980’s. Her mother was named Arlene. Worked as an assistant to Jules, when she got pregnant – at least that fact about her parents were based on truth – and died giving birth to their daughter: the woman Tess was now going to be. Jules had sent the girl away, to various boarding schools for much of her young life. Never staying at any one place for very long – explaining why her former ‘classmates’ would have no recollection of her. She got a degree in literature in college – Tess was well-read, so she wouldn’t have any problem passing for a literature major. After her father died two years ago, she inherited everything and have been drifting around ever since.
      Bruce had arranged for her to get an apartment in Los Angeles. A good place for someone to show up from nowhere. Millions of people – easy to blend into the crowd – many of whom having moved there from other places, other countries.
      Because of her digital state, Tess could easily acquire new skills. The question was more, what skills did Tess Mercer have, that her new persona shouldn’t? Diving and marine biology had been the first two Bruce had put on the list of don’ts. He wanted her to be able to walk into a room, with someone familiar with Tess Mercer, who wouldn’t be able to tell that she was Tess. Tess had suggested including a fake allergy or injury, but Bruce had instantly shut that down. Insisting that she shouldn’t say something, that she couldn’t prove. An allergy or injury could easily be disproven. If she claimed to be allergic to a certain flower, her cover would be blown the second she was near said flower and didn’t sneeze. Anything that attracted questions, even innocent ones, is bad cover.
      The apartment Bruce had gotten her was a three-room resident, that was completely empty. One of her first tasks had been to buy some furniture. However, as the apartment was empty, Bruce advised her to not get the furniture delivered home to her. The people doing the delivery would see that her apartment’s entirely empty. After moving to her proper home, she was going to pretend to have lived in Los Angeles longer than she really had, so someone having seen that her apartment was empty could blow her cover, if someone asked questions. Tess felt that Bruce was a little overzealous but went along with it. She rented a car and trailer and bought a bed, nightstand, TV table and some bookshelves at IKEA. Nothing she couldn’t carry in herself, without anyone becoming suspicious that a woman of her build could lift the item in question. She also bought some old furniture, making it seem like her new persona had owned certain items for a long time. When Tess had gotten her apartment reasonably decorated, Bruce told her that she could buy a couch, and have it home delivered.
      Tess also had to get herself a whole new wardrobe. Bruce’s instructions about clothes had been very specific. Under no circumstances was she to fill her closet with the latest fashion, making her persona someone who only owns clothes from this season. Her new clothes would have to have signs of wear and tear. He advised her to buy some clothes from thrift shops. Nothing conspicuous, just items people would expect to find in her new persona’s closet. Luckily, he did approve her buying some newer clothes, giving her instructions on how to give them the appropriate wear and tear. Making it look like she’s worn each dress, skirt, blouse, pants more than once.
      Her casual items were also an important issue. According to Bruce, the least important detail could easily be the most important. She had to buy some paintings for her apartment. Paintings that would work with her new persona. Books too, which she picked up at used bookstores. Books that not only fit her new persona, but she also had to make sure that she knew details about each book, but not too much. Having a good knowledge of a book is one thing but being able to repeat the exact words on page 20 could raise suspicion.
      Last edited by jon-el87; 10-30-2018, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Chapter 4
        Tess wasn’t just in Los Angeles to acquire belongings, before moving to her new home, she was there to train. To learn to be her new persona. To do just this Bruce had told her to not just sit around the apartment, when she wasn’t buying furniture, clothes or other belongings. No one stays home all the time, unless he or she is sick. Bruce’s instructions had been to take a book with her and then go to a coffee shop. One where they could notice her, but not stand out so much that they’d react to her presence. To not consider her a stranger, but someone who might’ve been a customer there for a longer period. With a little luck, she could leave them the impression that she’d been coming there for longer than she had.
        Tess got up to the counter of the coffee shop and ordered a cappuccino. She had a seat, in the middle of the shop, where she could be seen. Not in a corner, where she’d be left unnoticed. She sat there for an hour, reading her book and drinking her coffee, before leaving. She turned this into a daily routine. Sitting there for an hour, reading a book and drinking coffee. Ensuring that they’d have some vague recollection of her in the future, if someone asked questions. On occasion, someone would approach her, either to hit on her or to ask her about the book she was reading. Her first instinct had been to ignore them, but Bruce had advised her to interact with people. Getting some experience to talk to people in her new persona.
        She also began going to a movie theatre. Having brief interactions with the staff and other movie goers, who were eager to talk to her, about the film they had just watched. She became more confident in her new self, but Bruce discouraged her from this. If she’d become overconfident in her ability to pass as her new persona, it could make her sloppy. And sloppy makes for bad cover. What was important was her becoming familiar with Los Angeles, so conversations in the future made it clear that she used to live there. Bruce had also advised her to pick up some of the local slang, so she’d be able to pass for a young woman from the Los Angeles area.
        Last edited by jon-el87; 10-30-2018, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Chapter 5
          After several more weeks, the day of reckoning had finally arrived. Bruce, disguised with glasses and a moustache, came to her apartment, carrying a photo album. Tess invited him in and they got seated in her living room, drinking coffee. Bruce pulled out a flash drive and handed it to Tess.
          “I’ve taken care of the last few details. Everything’s on there. Memorize everything important. I’ve given you a complete backstory, should be able to fool even the most skilled detectives. I included a family history, that goes back to their alleged arrival on Ellis Island in 1895.” Bruce said.
          “You sure don’t leave any stone unturned.” Tess remarked and smiled.
          “No, I don’t. You have one living relative, an uncle. J’onn J’onzz will stand in for him, if necessary.”
          “Always an advantage to have a shapeshifter on your team.”
          “Correct. I’ve also made you this photo album.” Bruce handed her the photo album and she started flipping through it. The whole thing filled with photos of a girl, who looked just like her. Tess didn’t doubt that they were fake. Real photos of her as a child, that had been altered to fit her new identity, but she couldn’t tell that they were fake.
          “Looks real, don’t they?” Bruce added.
          “Yes.”
          “Records and birth certificates are easy. The difficult thing are photographs. You expect people to have some photos. Of themselves as children. Of their family.” Tess looked at the photos of her alleged parents. Pictures of Lionel Luthor and Pamela Jenkins, that had been altered. Pamela was now a brunette with glasses, while Lionel was cleanshaven and had shorter blond hair.
          “Have you decided where you wanna go?”
          “Yes. You know that town, near where we’re building our new base?”
          “Happy Harbor?”
          “That’s the place.”
          “Sure you don’t wanna move to a bigger area?”
          “Happy Harbor seems just fine. A sleepy costal town. Probably won’t happen much there, so I should be able to set myself up, without anyone becoming suspicious that both I and Red Tornado shows up at the same time. Probably won’t have to operate within the town boarder at all.”
          “As you wish. If your cover’s blown, there’s no problem. We’ll just set you up with a new one. This will at least make for a good experience for you.” Bruce paused and pulled out an engagement ring, which he handed her. “Here.”
          “What am I gonna do with this?”
          “It’s gonna be part of your backstory. Why you left Los Angeles and moved to Rhode Island. You got engaged to a man, who then slept with your best friend. You broke off the engagement and severed your connection to your friend. Afterwards, you didn’t wanna stay in LA and decided to move. You visited Rhode Island a few times as a child, so you decided to move there. To be as far away as you could from the people who hurt you.”
          Last edited by jon-el87; 10-30-2018, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Chapter 6
            The move hadn’t been easy. First Tess had to look for an apartment in Happy Harbor, before she could relocate. Eventually, she found a good apartment with four rooms and a kitchen, located on the third floor, of an apartment building in town. She had to hire movers, who would transport her belongings to Rhode Island, while she herself traveled there by plane. She could’ve flown on her own, but this way, there’d be records of her travel from Los Angeles to Happy Harbor. She still didn’t own a car, which she was going to take care off, as soon as she got settled in to her new apartment. As the movers drove to Happy Harbor, she had to spend some time in a hotel, before they’d arrive with her things. Only giving her more time to get settled in and get used to her new surroundings, before she’d have to get everything in order in her new home.
            After they’d arrived, she spent two days getting everything unpacked and in order. When she was done, she set out to find a new coffee shop, where she could spend some time each day. Her new neighbors pointed Tess in the direction of the Mad Yak Café, so she headed there with a book to read. She wore a purple wrap dress and black pumps. The coffee shop looked like your ordinary coffee shop on the outside, but when Tess walked in through the door, she felt like she’d traveled back through time. The walls were covered with psychedelic art, posters from the 1960’s and the staff all wore tie-dyed clothes. Behind the counter stood a man in his late 60’s who looked just like Jerry Garcia. She’d later learn that this was old Riker, the owner, but for a moment she was unsure if Jerry Garcia had faked his own death and opened a coffee shop in Rhode Island.
            Tess went over to a table and sat down. A waitress approached her. She was Chinese-American, petite, long black hair in a ponytail and looked to be early 20’s. The waitress pulled out a notepad, to take her order.
            “Coffee?” The waitress asked.
            “Um, sure.” Tess replied.
            “Anything else?”
            “No, just coffee, thank you.” The Waitress fetched Tess a cup of coffee and put it down on the table in front of her.
            “I haven’t seen you around here before.” The waitress noted.
            “No, I just moved here.”
            “How are you liking Happy Harbor?”
            “It seems nice…um…”
            “Bethany. The name’s Bethany Lee. What’s yours?” This was the moment of reckoning for Tess. The moment she would introduce her new persona to her new home.
            “Sutton.” Tess said. “My name’s Kathleen Sutton.”
            “Nice to meet you, Kathleen. Hope you’ll enjoy living here.”
            “Me too.” Bethany stepped away to serve the other customers, while Tess sat at her table reading her book and drinking her coffee. It was a damn fine cup of coffee. One of the best she’d ever tasted. She could already tell that she was going to like it here.
            The End
            Last edited by jon-el87; 10-30-2018, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Creator Credits
              Alfred Pennyworth first appeared in Batman #16 and was created by Don Cameron and Bob Kane.
              Batman first appeared in Detective Comics #27 and was created by Bill Finger and Bob Kane.
              Bethany Lee first appeared in Hourman #1 and was created by Tom Peyer and Rags Morales.
              Kathy Sutton first appeared in Justice League of America #106 and was created by Len Wein and Dick Dillin.
              Lena Luthor first appeared in Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane #23 and was created by Jerry Siegel and Kurt Schaffenberger.
              Lois Lane first appeared in Action Comics #1 and was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster.
              Megan first appeared in the Smallville TV series episode “Toxic” and was created by Caroline Dries.
              Red Tornado first appeared in Justice League of America #64 and was created by Gardner Fox and Dick Dillin.
              Riker first appeared in Hourman #2 and was created by Tom Peyer and Rags Morales.
              Swamp Thing first appeared in House of Secrets #92 and was created by Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson.
              Trivia
              The fake names for Tess’s parents are Jules and Arlene. These are the original names for Lex and Lena Luthor’s parents during their Silver Age appearances.
              I threw in a brief reference to Alec Holland (Swamp Thing). I had already established Houma in “Tornado” as being where Tess grew up. So, I thought Holland having been her first kiss would be a fun little detail.
              I added Tess suggesting a fake allergy, which gets shut down by Bruce, partly because it’s the truth (if you’re living under a false identity, you shouldn’t say things that you can’t prove), but also out of interest in criticizing the episode “Booster”, where Lois tries to give Clark a false allergy to flowers.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎