Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Lighting, Ep # 1.12: 'The Resurrection and the Light: The Book of Pain'

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Lighting, Ep # 1.12: 'The Resurrection and the Light: The Book of Pain'

Loved it? Hated it? what did you think of it?
    10-Loved it!
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1--I'm with Khalil on this one... Black lightning sucks!!
    0%

There was a lot of drama in this one, but most of it was the good kind of Drama. Of course, no TV show is perfect so there was some bad drama mixed into there as well.

Tobias Whale and Proctor meets up, has a scene where Mr. P explains everything to Mr.Whale about everything that's been going on. Khalil, Jennifer's newly crippled boyfriend shows up as well but he's no longer crippled. He's walking again.

Khalil shows up in Freeland with a major chip on his shoulders. According to him, he was abandoned by everyone in Freeland (especially the Pierce family) once he lost the use of his legs; now that he has them back, he doesn’t feel he owes them to anybody. We know that Khalil aided Jennifer’s abandonment by blaming her for his injury, but his pain is definitely real. That’s something I really like about this show, how it makes you understand where the bad guys are coming from. It makes the conflict that much more intense.

Jefferson is genuinely happy for Khalil, but at the same time he's worried that Khalil is being used by the ASA. After his meeting with Khalil, Jefferson warns Jennifer to stay away from him, since they don’t yet know who he’s involved with or who healed his legs. A dad telling his teen daughter to stay away from a dangerous boy she likes is obviously a great strategy that works 100 percent of the time, so later that night Jennifer meets up with Khalil. Before doing so, she tells Jefferson that Lynn is working on a way to “cure” her powers. That’s a misunderstanding on Jennifer's part but it really pisses Jefferson off, since it paints his and the girls’ powers as some kind of “sickness” to be “cured.”

this part felt really familiar to me as an deaf person, because often times deaf people have had similar arguments with hearing people who didn't seem to understand that deafness wasn't a sickness that needed to be cured, it was just simply part of us. And that there was no cure, only tools that helped us interact with hearing people.
    Jefferson seems to feel similarly about his powers... saying that while there was times when he was at an disadvantage because of his powers, it was still part of who he was... part of who his children were. That he was perfectly happy with who he was, even if it did bring him problems sometimes. And that wasn't something that needed to be "cured".
    Felt oddly relatable to me. Of course in Jefferson's case it was just a big misunderstanding.

At Mr. Whale's behest Khalil's gone on an campaign to tell all of Freeland just exactly how he feels about Black Lightning. He stirs up things at the school to draw Black Lightning out. Since Garfield High has been a bastion of safety throughout the series so far, Khalil’s attack on it is remarkably upsetting. He’s using his new enhancements to rip doors off hinges and hit students with toxic darts, but the scene contains the additional echoes of a school shooting. No wonder Black Lightning and Thunder show up so quickly. They split up against Tobias’ team. Thunder takes on his henchwoman in a fun duel that ends decisively on Thunder’s side, while her dad gets into a hallway standoff with Tobias.

Unfortunately for Black Lightning, Tobias is wearing lightning-resistant protection. Black Lightning allows himself to get drawn into a hand-to-hand brawl, where Tobias soon takes the advantage, repeatedly hammering the superhero against his students’ lockers. Khalil shows up, hits Jefferson with one of his darts (thus cutting off his powers), and delivers a finishing blow. This is when Jennifer finds out the true use of her powers. As she and Anissa cry over their father’s body, Jennifer’s powers spring to live and resuscitate him. They make their retreat to a safehouse, as do Tobias and Khalil and LaLa, as all sides prepare for next week’s finale. I can’t blame them; I’m so excited to see how this feast of a first season wraps up.

rating: 10/10
    Last edited by Aurora Moon; 04-11-2018, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎