No announcement yet.

Black Lightning #1.9 "The Book of Little Black Lies"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Lightning #1.9 "The Book of Little Black Lies"

So what did you think of Black Lighting, ep #9 of season 1?
    10-Electrifying as always!
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1--Didn't even spark my interest.
    0%

Few things to note about this epidose:
    1) like with BL, Thunder's outfit is one of those things where I liked her older look better. Heh.
    2)They mentioned Super-girl and Vixen! So I guess a version of them exists in this BL universe.

This is one of those Black Lightning episodes in which the superheroics take something of a backseat to familial relationships, but the performances are so powerful that it’s hard to complain. A great moment comes when Lynn tries to comfort Jennifer, who is still upset about the revelations hours later. In Jennifer’s own words, she’s not Anissa. Jennifer doesn’t want to save the world, she just wants to go to prom, and then college, and then get married and have kids — in other words, a normal life, the kind she thought her parents had.

I like that Jennifer is the opposite of Anissa here, as it helps see us things from the other end. The whole "Wishes they were just normal" trope can get a little tired at times but here it was played up very effectively without going into silly wangst territory. It proves that an overused trope isn't always bad, if done right. and I also like that the parents had VERY GOOD reasons for not telling her and that she eventually accepted that instead of dragging out the whole "You lied to me, how could you" trope over several episodes.

I like the fact that Black Lighting tends to have the right amount of drama without transforming everything into exaggerated melodrama. There's never too much of it... it's just right.

Thunder sees ASA boss Martin Proctor say on the phone that it’s time to move their lab. This is their last chance to destroy the lab, and they make good on it. While Thunder takes out the police chief and his minions, Black Lightning gets to the basement and starts destroying the Green Light chemicals. Proctor’s there, and tries to hold a doctor as a hostage while another armed man sneaks up behind Black Lightning, but Henderson has the vigilante’s back. Proctor fades away into the shadows, but the lab is destroyed — Jefferson and Anissa even get to look cool walking away from it as it explodes.

I couldn't help but giggle a bit at that explosion bit, though. I picture an extra scene where the father and daughter was bonding over how cool they looked. They fist bump each other, and then talk about how bad ass they felt walking away from that explosion without even looking back.

Such a happy ending. However it also makes me suspicious over how much of a big backlash there are going to be next epidose. He might had won this battle, but the war isn't over.
    Last edited by Aurora Moon; 03-21-2018, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Is this a 13 episode or 22 episode season? If it's only 13, then we're close to the end!

This show continues to impress me...not one dull moment to be found. The acting on this show is top notch and there are no cringeworthy moments....like other CW DC shows have. But here with the ending where BL and Thunder walked away as the building explodes in flames was so freaking cool, lol

I know what's been said about this show not crossing over, but Vixen definitely needs to appear in season 2. I'm talking about the Mari version of Vixen and not the one currently in Legends of Tomorrow.

Comment

it's a 13 episodes run, so yeah, we're getting close to the end of it.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎