No announcement yet.

Black Lightning #1.3 "Lawanda: The Book of Burial"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Lightning #1.3 "Lawanda: The Book of Burial"

Count down to tonight's Black Lightning and talk about it LIVE as it airs - then, let this be the episode thread!

Come on, you know you don't want to watch that other thing that's on tonight!

Pics: http://blacklightningtv.com/black-li...a-book-burial/
    10 - Great
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - Bad
    0%

What did you think, everybody?

Comment

those eps just keep on getting better and better.

In this one, the people of Freeland all try to save the community in their own ways. And of course, they don't agree 100% on what the best way to save the community is.

And on top of it, the gangs and the masterminds behind them are feeling threatened at the idea that the people might want to take back their community and set out to sabotage it.

Last ep was all about taking a long look at Black Lightning's real life and his family, getting to know them. This ep we get to know more about the people of Freeland itself, and how they feel about black lightning himself.

What I liked about this ep:
      • Anissa figuring out how her powers worked exactly, even if she did hurt herself a little bit along the way.
      • The way the TV show showed us the parallels between Black Lightning's weary cynicism after decades of superheroing yet unable to make anything magically better, and Anissa's naive optimism that she could possibly use her powers to magically make the world a better place. It was interesting how they explored the line between cynicism and optimism in a realistic way.
      • I liked how most of the people were allowed to have their opinions on something without being villianized. You could understand where everyone was coming from, and why they did what they did. The cops are just doing their jobs, they can't condone vigilantism, etc. The everyday citizen is tired of feeling scared and feels that the cops are useless, so to them black lighting is a god sent miracle, etc. The pastor feels that the citizens have to take everything back, to show people that they're not scared anymore.

Things I didn't like:
      • Jennifer straight up telling her parents that she was ready to have sex, etc. I kinda felt that scene was a little unrealistic... I just can't see any teenager being so open about that sort of thing. If anything I thought it would had been more realistic if she just told them that she had a boyfriend now, and then gently hint that she was ready to hang out with him all night together and let her parents put the pieces together themselves without having to say the sex word.
      Last edited by Aurora Moon; 01-31-2018, 06:23 AM.

Comment

So who’s the guy supplying black lightning with his tech? Is he someone from the comics? Judging from the last scene, is he working for the whale?
        Last edited by protege; 01-31-2018, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Canon Gambi was [SPOILER]working for Tobias and was in fact the hit man Tobias used to kill Jefferson's Dad, according to a google search on the character. Canon Gambi helped Jefferson and eventually died saving him to make amends.[/SPOILER] It'll be interesting to see how that's adapted on the show.

Comment

I think my favorite part of the episode was Jennifer just casually admitting she's ready to have sex. A bit unrealistic but incredibly funny/awkward conversation with the parents. The superhero dad's biggest hurdle: the sex talk.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎