0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - Far From Good
    0%

The theme of this ep seems to be mainly about family. Jo'nzz gains his father, while Maggie comes to terms with the fact that she lost her father a long time ago to prejudice.

On paper, there was alot of great ideas to explore. But in a ep like this it seemed clumsily executed. It was hard to invest in Maggie's segments emotionally because they kept on dropping all those huge hints that Maggie and Alex isn't meant to be together. Especially over the whole "I want kids but she wants to be childfree!" issue that they keep on bringing up. So we might never see maggie again after the breakup drama is over.

The scenes on Mars were great though, and I enjoyed the heck out of them.

Comment

Without the Martian storyline, this would have been a throwaway episode. The wedding shower felt out of place here.

It's nice to see Supergirl back to her usual self mostly, but the writers decide to focus on J'onn, Alex, and Maggie along with M'Gann. Kara didn't do much until she was there as the voice of reason between J'onn and his father.

Winn was barely in this episode and there's no Lena and Reign as you would think to follow up the triangle of Kara, Lena, and Reign.

Pretty mixed here.

Comment

The Martian story line justifies the CW DCU. Lumbly and Harewood crushed it. I'm still crying.

I'm glad Kara articulated the loss of Krypton. I'm just sorry it took the aftermath of Green Martian genocide to do it. I'm so sorry for all of them. This is the main reason I have issues with Arrow and the Flash. No matter what happens to Oliver, Barry, and Co. on E-1, they will always be dealing with existential hang nails compared to the extra terrestrial contingent of E-38. Don't get me wrong, the other shows should explore other tones and ideas, but the E-1 folks need a seminar in micro versus macro trauma.

As for Alex and Maggie, I agree the timing and pacing was off. Additionally, if they're going to bring up babies and biological clocks, I feel Alex needs to be at least partially motivated by Kara. She wants kids, because she knows the strain of extinction has damaged her sister, and she wants to make Kara's world bigger. Plus, Alex feels she needs to breed, because the DEO lacks data on whether Kara can at all with the human population.

Comment

I'm not sure that Alex should hinge her reasons for wanting kids on Kara like that completely. But I can accept her being partially influenced by Kara to see how important kids are to carrying on the blood line and all of that jazz. They could bring up that Alex would've wanted kids regardless, because that was just who she was. She might be a tough ***** who can kick ass and take names all she wants, but that wasn't all there was to her. There was a side to her who always wanted a family regardless of the direction her life took.

Comment

Kara should be one of the factors, if only because of narrative economy. But, you're right. it wouldn't be the only one. Unfortunately, like other fans, I think they're rushing it, so whatever we get won't be nuanced.

Comment

Something else has been bugging me about the episode, and I finally realize what it is: Allegory only works if it fits the internal logic. When Maggie's Papa went off about them building a wall, he wasn't on an earth where they're threatening a wall. Alien President Wonder Woman Marsdin is doing the opposite of threatening a wall, so there's dissonance.

Comment

Originally posted by Raissa
                Something else has been bugging me about the episode, and I finally realize what it is: Allegory only works if it fits the internal logic. When Maggie's Papa went off about them building a wall, he wasn't on an earth where they're threatening a wall. Alien President Wonder Woman Marsdin is doing the opposite of threatening a wall, so there's dissonance.
                I noticed that too as well. i was like "wait a minute..."

Comment

Yay, it's Tony!

I just had the very same reaction I had years ago when the fourth season of 24 was running and Jack was trapped in some warehouse and for the first time in the season Tony Almeida (Carlos Bernard) appeard to get him out.

When he got off the bus to his daughter I cheered again.

But his whole reasoning for not loving his daughter because homosexuals are looked upon worse than "wetbacks" didn't have much logic to it. He fought his way up, became Sheriff in a white town. But he abandons his daughter because she also may face prejudice?!?

Comment

It's more like he's more worried over his family name being socially tarnished and looking bad in front of others, than he is about his daughter facing prejudice.
                    I've seen this many times in conservative minority families in real life.

They're worried that having a gay child would cause them to loose their footing in certain social circles, especially if they've climbed their way up to where they are. They're more interested in seeming more holy, righteous, and perfect in public than they are in being actual parents to their children. They place more importance in their public face than they do in being actual parents who are supposed to love their child unconditionally.

So to a guy like that, who's obsessed with being accepted by the local racist guys in a small town? Yeah, appearances matter more than his family.

Comment

I certainly noticed the wall comment as well, and in Supergirl's universe would seem out of place compared to this (semi) reality. But in the season opener Cat Grant commented how the "...President isn't a moron...." and another comment relating to the White House as a Kindergarten yard. It seems the writers are getting jabs at the current Administration regardless of which universe it resides in.

That said, OK ep, I guess. But I come for Kara, and it really wasn't about Supergirl this week.

And if Alex's Dad was so against her lifestyle, why show up to the shower at all, after not having seen her in ages; and then only to storm out.

Meanwhile, we probably have not heard the last about who wants kids and who doesn't in the Maggie/Alex household.

Oh...and Melissa, beautiful anyways, is looking even more amazing this season. Is her hair a little lighter? My only criticism is I always think of Supergirl with a yellower blonde hair, and hers was more "dirty blonde," but looked lighter by this week...hmmm....

Comment

I am getting tired of the writers choosing to bash our current administration. Inserting that into the show just ruins the storylines for me. This never happened in Smallville. They just focused on good writing, I realize not all episodes were great but I never remember the writers showing their hand in bashing our current administration. Just sick of their political bashing. It takes away from the pure story of Supergirl. If they cancel this show, I can't say I will too dissapointed.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎