#4.3 "They Who Hide Behind Masks"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #4.3 "They Who Hide Behind Masks"

New gotham tonight!

Count down, talk live... then let this be the episode forum!

Add more credibility to your site - get a premium domain today. Straight-forward shopping experience.

I liked this episode more than last week.

At least they established a couple of things, like:
    • Al Ghul resurrecting Barbara with the Lazarus Pit (even though it went without saying)
    • Bruce adopting his "spoiled" brat persona (The auction scene was HILARIOUS!)
    • Nygma being thawed and on the loose.

I could've really done without Gordon getting involved with Sofia and the predictable scene at the end. Everything was FINE until they kissed! Seriously, Gordon does NOT need to get involved with EVERY female character that comes to town. It's such a cliche. At least Valerie Vale understood the writing on the wall. Now, we're in for even more stupid melodrama with Lee 2.0. I mean, Sofia Falcone!

I actually enjoyed Al Ghul's scene with Barbara near the end. At least they found a way to keep her relevant to the story, at least for now, and at least her little bit of hero worship for him (for resurrecting her) makes her romantic interest slightly believable compared to Sofia.

So, can anyone tell me the significance of the knife? Or, what it was called? I missed the close-up of the name when Bruce looked at the manifest, and I can't remember anything from TAS regarding a knife.

I LOVED all of the Bruce/Alfred scenes (and how Bruce tried to play characters in the episode). I thought it was a little too convenient that Selina would don a mask for the first time herself, though, but that's just me.

I appreciated the humor in this episode, too. Thank God Myrtle Jenkins was a one-off! I have no idea what the plan is for Nygma now, but I don't think Nygmobblepot is coming back—unless the memory issues lead to a reset for those characters (and Ed realizing his feelings)? I'm not holding my breath, though.

Anyway, I enjoyed it.

What did everybody else think?

Comment

Well, you guys can't say that I didn't warn you about Sofia. To be honest, I found her introduction handled well...until that kiss at the beach. Once it was cemented that she would be a love interest of sorts for Jim and that we are probably headed for a love triangle when Lee returns in a few weeks, I groaned. I really hope Sofia proves to be less one dimensional than Lee, Valerie and Barbara was in season 1.

Speaking of Barbara, her storyline with Ra's is a fun new twist of her character but, again, the kiss at the end was cringey. It's not that I'm opposed to romance on this show. It's a necessary evil anyway. I just wish we got new people with romantic storylines instead of Jim and Barbara getting new partners every season, lol.

As for the knife, wait and see, I guess. It's an intriguing McGuffin to have around for the season. The Arabia flashback was cool. Along with the Miami scenes, it gave Gotham a different and less gritty vibe for once.

Not a lot of Jim this week, probably because Ben is directing next week's episode.

The Bruce/Alfred scenes were indeed the highlight of the episode. And Mazouz really did a good job when he had to portray spoiled Bruce. Not sure about his scene with Selina at the end. These two seem to be going in circles for a while now.

Ed will probably find new partners soon. Maybe Butch (where the hell is he?).

All in all, it was an enjoyable episode, annoying kissing aside. Gotham, IMO, has its best start to the season since season 1.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
        Speaking of Barbara, her storyline with Ra's is a fun new twist of her character but, again, the kiss at the end was cringey. It's not that I'm opposed to romance on this show. It's a necessary evil anyway. I just wish we got new people with romantic storylines instead of Jim and Barbara getting new partners every season, lol.
        Agreed. All I can hope is that Sofia is actually leading Jim Gordon on as some elaborate revenge scheme. You know, stroke his male ego a little bit with her feminine wiles, and then set him up for a fall while she takes Gotham over away from penguin.
        That would make for a nice twist instead of the same old rehashed romance sub-plot.

I do agree that the auction scene was the best scene of this season so far.
        Last edited by Aurora Moon; 10-06-2017, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Well, you guys can't say that I didn't warn you about Sofia. To be honest, I found her introduction handled well...until that kiss at the beach. Once it was cemented that she would be a love interest of sorts for Jim and that we are probably headed for a love triangle when Lee returns in a few weeks, I groaned.
          WHAT?! ...NO! I

really hope Sofia proves to be less one dimensional than Lee, Valerie and Barbara was in season 1.
          Well, to me, she was one dimensional the second she blew off the fact that Gordon killed Mario. Yeah, she understood why, but to be THAT comfortable around the man who killed your brother?

I will jump for joy if Lee returns with enough gumption to turn around and deck Sofia upon first meeting (perhaps inside the station or M.E. room)!

OMG, more triangle nonsense...*sigh*

Speaking of Barbara, her storyline with Ra's is a fun new twist of her character but, again, the kiss at the end was cringey.
          Well, I didn't mind it. I really think she's into him because he was able to bring her back from death. I'd probably be all over him too if he gave me another chance at life...

Since they've hinted that he's been around for thousands of years, it's likely he's just passing time with her. However, I think it's believable that she'd be a little enamored with him for saving her.

It's not that I'm opposed to romance on this show. It's a necessary evil anyway. I just wish we got new people with romantic storylines instead of Jim and Barbara getting new partners every season, lol.
          I still say Nygma and Oswald would've been SO much more interesting than what we're likely getting.

As for the knife, wait and see, I guess. It's an intriguing McGuffin to have around for the season. The Arabia flashback was cool. Along with the Miami scenes, it gave Gotham a different and less gritty vibe for once.
          I agree. It looked more like Cuba (to me) than Florida, though?

The Bruce/Alfred scenes were indeed the highlight of the episode. . . . Not sure about his scene with Selina at the end. These two seem to be going in circles for a while now.
          True, but they're better than Jim/Leslie!

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
          Agreed. All I can hope is that Sofia is actually leading Jim Gordon on as some elaborate revenge scheme. You know, stroke his male ego a little bit with her feminine wiles, and then set him up for a fall while she takes Gotham over away from penguin.
          That would make for a nice twist instead of the same old rehashed romance sub-plot.
          I agree, Aurora Moon. I just can't see her being that ok with Mario's fate—especially when she admitted she hardly saw her father and Mario was all she had.

Why do I feel like it's going to be Lee who sees through Sofia's mask? She pleads with Gordon that something's not right about Sofia. Jim won't believe it. Then, she pulls out the stops and KISSES Gordon knowing her kiss is the ONLY thing that will help him see the truth! *Soap opera music*

Comment

Interesting episode...although this week's kind of gives me the vibe that women in Gotham are just plain nutso. Seriously, are there no normal women in Gotham?

The knife is probably the key to some sort of treasure or substance that can grant Ra's complete immortality. An immortality Ra's can maintain with out relying on The Pit for eternity. In Batman TAS he was trying to find something similar in an Egyptian tomb. It'll be interesting to see if it's something similar here.

Also Butch was killed and his body is most likely stolen by the League at this point, probably for experimentation. He is Solomon Grundy after all, he's gotta mutate into the big lug Zombie somehow (poor guy).

When will Jim learn? He knows Falcones are strictly trouble and yet he gets involved all the same...he's got no one else to blame but himself this time. Just as long as this one doesn't infect herself with the virus so she can go on a murder spree and kill dozens of people with a bomb this time.

And yeah, this is all a revenge scheme on Lady Falcone's part. No way she let go of her brother's death that easily. Jim's being set up for the ultimate fall here, probably on her father's go ahead, no less. It's probably the only reason Don Falcone let him leave his residence alive.

Comment

Enjoyable episode

The Bruce plot was enjoyable and the scenes where Bruce was acting like a spoiled brat was hilarious for sure. Looks like we found where Bruce got the idea for his playboy persona and well being son of the richest family in Gotham helps.
              Also Bruce saying he was going to hang that painting in his bathroom and all his fellow rich people all groaned in disgust was funny.

Alfred was enjoyable in this auction scene scene as well.

Which seeing Alfred and Bruce work together was one of the most enjoyable parts to this episode.

Seeing Bruce in this well outside of his few moments of needing work, it really does feel like I'm watching a Batman show at times.

Selina puts on a mask for the first time.

Ah the divide between Bruce and Selina begins to grow.

I already knew Ras was Barbara's benefactor so that was no surprise.

Now Ras and Barbara kissing was a surprise. A "WT?" the moment.

Also nice flashback to Ras and really sets in just how old this guy really is.

I will say I would say this Ras is an improvement over the Arrow one.

The Jim stuff was fine and Sofia is a interesting character. Maybe Jim won't screw this one up, she's already a Falcone. I don't mind the romance between Jim and her.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
                That would be a terrific twist. She did seem to forgive Mario's death a bit too easily...

Originally posted by Aries83
                WHAT?! ...NO! I
                Yep. Saw her name in the official description for episode 4.06.

Well, to me, she was one dimensional the second she blew off the fact that Gordon killed Mario. Yeah, she understood why, but to be THAT comfortable around the man who killed your brother?
                It really was weird. Like Aurora Moon said, she must be setting him up. Or the writers were really eager to sweep the whole Mario thing under the rug (which I can't blame then for!).

Since they've hinted that he's been around for thousands of years, it's likely he's just passing time with her. However, I think it's believable that she'd be a little enamored with him for saving her.
                I guess. It's just that Barbara's track record is a bit shoddy in the romantic department. The way she left Jim and went back to Montoya, the way she hooked up with the guy who had her kill her parents... Even her relationship with Tabitha began as soon as the Galavans recruited her. She seems to hastily jump into these situations. I hoped her relationship with Ra's would be different. I do like the fact that he taught her to fight though. In years past she acted like a badass but she didn't actually seem menacing.

I agree. It looked more like Cuba (to me) than Florida, though?
                That's what I thought too, but according to the episode's description Carmine had relocated to Miami.

True, but they're better than Jim/Leslie!
                Oh that goes without saying!

Originally posted by Haggard01
                I will say I would say this Ras is an improvement over the Arrow one.
                Indeed he is. Hopefully we didn't jinx it just now and this Ra's ends up shipping Jim with Lee in the future.

Comment

Yep. Saw her name in the official description for episode 4.06.
                  DAMNIT! Well, they better overhaul her attitude and keep her away from Gordon. Otherwise, I'm not interested.

What they should do, which they never did, is give us the scenes she was supposed to have with Bruce way back when—before she became attached to Gordon's hip. I distinctly remember them promising that she'd have a storyline with Bruce shortly after joining the show that never materialized.

she must be setting him up. Or the writers were really eager to sweep the whole Mario thing under the rug (which I can't blame then for!).
                  Right? I hope that is the case (that she's toying with Gordon and seeking revenge). Gordon's love life just doesn't interest me.

Barbara's track record is a bit shoddy in the romantic department. . . . She seems to hastily jump into these situations. I hoped her relationship with Ra's would be different. I do like the fact that he taught her to fight though. In years past she acted like a badass but she didn't actually seem menacing.
                  I get what you're saying. She was awfully confusing during Season 1... Taking a bath in the Lazarus Pit has done her some good. Perhaps Leslie will be next?

Comment

Easily, Bruce acting like a spoiled, rich brat at the auction was the best part of the episode, clearly David Mazouz was having too much fun. Hope they do more of that in the future.

The Jim-Falcone plot went off better than I expected, but the fact that Falcone was rather polite to Jim during his conservation was stunning. I was expecting to him to be more hostile towards Jim, but I think because his daughter was around he was just being courteous.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎