Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canuck's Embassy

Top o' the mor- er, hi everyone, this is a new place to discuss all things Canadian - currrent events, past events, news, people, places, fact vs. fiction, anything as long as it's PG-13. Have a question? Ask it here, I or one of the other friendly Canadians on this board can answer it for you.

Certain questions ("do you live in an igloo?") will be frowned upon. Please think before posting

To start off, has anyone heard that Ed Belfour will not be playing goalie for Team Canada because of his back injury? They're sending in Theodore instead. Grr.
    Last edited by i luv tom welling; 11-05-2004, 01:45 PM.

*dances around*

Ok I'm not Canadian but I love everything Canadian so... thanks for creating this thread.

Raise your hand if you also like Victor Garber

Comment

Kam promised me pics of Canadian money. POST EM, Kamera!

Comment

Here are the front and back of the 5, 10, and 20 dollar bills.

Five - Front
        Five - Back
        Ten - Front
        Ten - Back
        Twenty - Front
        Twenty - Back

Sir Wilfrid Laurier is on the 5 dollar bill, he was Prime Minister from 1896-1911. The picture in teh background is the West Block of Parliament. The words on the back of the 5 dollar bill read "The winters of my childhood were long, long seasons. We lived in three places - the school, the church and the skating rink - but our real life was on the skating rink," which is an excerpt from a famous book by Roch Carrier (an author from Quebec). The French translation is above the English on the bill.

Sir John A. Macdonald (Canada's first Prime Minister), is on the front of the 10 dollar bill. He was PM from 1867-1873, and 1878-1891. A picture of the famous Library of Parliament is located to the right of his head. This building survived a massive fire, protecting the thousands of books and documents inside. The words on the back of the 10 dollar bill read "In Flander's fields the poppies blow, Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our places, and in the sky, The larks, still bravly singing, fly, Scarce heard amid the guns below," which is part of the famous World War I poem, Flander's Fields by John McCrae (1872-1918). McCrae was a paramedic in the first World War, and died in battle.

Queen Elisabeth II is on the 20 dollar bill, as is the Library of Parliament again. I really don't know why we keep her on our money any more, as the country is completely independant of Great Britain. I guess it's for nostalgia. She's also on the loonie (one dollar coin), the toonie (two dollar coin), the quarter (25 cent coin), dime (10 cent coin), nickel (5 cent coin) and penny (1 cent coin). On the back of the loonie is a loon, the toonie has a polar bear, the quarter has a caribou, the dime has the Blue Nose (scooner), the nickel has a beaver, and the penny has two maple leafs.

So far, the 5, 10, and 100 dollar bills have been updated. I haven't got my hands on one of the new 100's (and I doubt I will for a long, long time ), so you may have to search online if you want a picture. I don't have a 50 dollar bill either.

Hope that helps, Sharkie

Oh, I also wanted to add: the newer bills all have braile on their upper right hand corner.
        Last edited by i luv tom welling; 08-11-2004, 09:41 AM.

Comment

I have 5 C$ and 1 C$ But they're quite old I'm afraid I begged my mum to get them for me... honestly!

Comment

That's cool! I hold on to old bills that come up in my change, or I've kept them from before they went out. I have a $10 bill from the 70's, one from the 80's, a $2 bill, and the old $5 bill. My dad used to have a $1 bill (which went out in 1987, the year of my birth), but Bobby Orr won it from him in a golf tournament. My dad was going to give it to me, so now I say that Bobby Orr owes me a dollar

(if you don't know who Bobby Orr is, you need to brush up on your Canadian hockey legends )

Comment

The one dollar bill is from the sixties I think. There's a picture of Queen Elizabeth on the front.

No I'm sorry but I don't know who he is. Please explain.

Btw I'm delighted to see you're back! Welcome, eh!

Oh and another fact: Tynnecotte Cemetery is probably the largest Commonwealth WWI cemetery in Belgium - there are more than 1000 British soldiers buried there, and about 997 Canadians.

It's in Ypres btw. I've been there twice, once on a school trip and once with my parents, I think that was last year during the Easter holidays.
              Last edited by Dukegirl; 08-11-2004, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Cool, I think I have a 20 laying around for our trip up north to Wyoming and Montana. We went into Canada for a day and I try my mom got us some money.

One time at a basketball game I got a coin with Queen Elizabeth. I'll have to look for it and scan it. I thought it was Bristish but it could be Canadian.

Comment

Oh Bryan you're going to love this - the son of my aunt's former neighbour gave me a one dollar bill (US dollar of course) after he came back from his vacation in NYC.

I keep the dollars (both Canadian and American) in my wallet all the time

Comment

Bobby Orr is a famous Canadian hockey player... or was. He's quite old now, but was extremely popular back in the 60's or 70's.

Sharkie - all Canadian coins say Canada on the back, so check for that

Did you know: The RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police, aka "Mounties") are Canada's equivalent to the FBI?

Comment

Sometimes I wish I lived in Canada.

Can I hang out in this thread?

Comment

I'm kinda 1/4 Canadian (my Grandad is from Newfoundland).

Cool, your money is alot nicer then the UK's.

Is it true that in the winter you can plug your car in outside to stop it from freezing?

Comment

I couldn't find my coin. I'll still look though.

Comment

If it has the Queen wearing a crown, it's most likely to be British, can you remember it's size, shape and colour? Because that would help us. Also British coins are called: £2 (two pound) coin, £1 (one pound) coin, 50 pence, 20 pence, 10 pence, 5 pence, 2 pence and 1 pence. When writing them down, or saying them though, most people will refer to 50 'p', as in the letter, 20p, 10p, etc.

Hee. Anyway, that's enough Britishness in the Canada thread.

*ducks out*

Comment

Size and color of an american quater.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍