0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1 - More like We Can Be "Heroes Reborn"
    0%

There was a lot of drama tonight. but for the most part it was Superhero drama and not much of the love triangle nonsense tonight.
    so it made that somewhat enjoyable, and there was plenty of excellent action scenes too.

The theme tonight was all about forgiveness and giving second chances to your enemies.

I gave it a 9/10 rating.

Comment

Much better episode than last week. This was the stronger and better start.

Supergirl and Martian Manhunter are the last to know James and Winn's secret and were right to scold them and be concerned. Supergirl is showing leadership capabilities.

I like the idea of the heroes - Supergirl, Mon-El, Guardian, and Winn - working together against villains like Livewire. She is becoming the show's equivalent to Captain Cold.

The Martian storyline with J'onn, M'Gann, and Alex is a very touching one.

This is what superhero drama should be and not love triangle nonsense.

Comment

I am getting a bit tired of kara's nievete'; i don't need her to be cynical, but a little more savvy wouldn't hurt. This show seems to be all over the map, and i'm having a hard time getting into it this year.
        Last edited by protege; 01-30-2017, 08:44 PM.

Comment

The whole "forgiveness and second chances" bit was very timely considering the current political climate, but I have to admit, the Guardian storyline is getting old already. I know they really want to find a role for James, but I'm very "meh" about the whole situation.

I also am not sure what to make of Mon-El always being around, too. This is Supergirl's show, right? Let her save the day on her own, maybe?

This was also one of the first times it really hit me that Kara doesn't really have a "normal" life anymore. The CatCo job as a reporter just seemed so sudden. I think about Livewire's first appearance and how much Kara's other life with Cat and all that fit in, and I kind of missed it this time around. (Kara never did get to use her new office, did she?)

Comment

I have this feeling that Mon-El may last for only one season where it would end with him being sent to the Phantom Zone after prolonged exposure to his weakness of lead.

Comment

I enjoyed the scenes involving the Martians. Gave David Harewood an opportunity to show how good of an actor he is. The rest of the episode was a turnoff and it's only positives were that a couple of secrets are now finally in the open.

Jimmy's Guardian storyline has never connected with me and this episode was no exception. And the part where he knocked Mon-El's motives for wanting to be a hero was quite hilarious considering his motives weren't exactly noble either. At least Mon-El was honest about his motives. All in all, neither guy comes out of this smelling like a rose. Nor does Winn for his secrecy.

Kara's stance in all this was mostly hypocritical. Because she suddenly has an issue with a human trying to be hero, although her sister falls in the same category (something she clearly has no issue with). At the same time she resents the fact that Mon-El works with her because he likes her, even though in a past episode she told him that if he didn't use his powers for good he was selfish. So basically, Mon-El can't win with her and is selfish either way. Between all this and Kara just standing there while Livewire was killing someone and then letting her go (shades of Barry's incredible naivety with Zoom), I began to seriously wonder what the hell they've been doing to Kara's character as of late.

Once again, I found myself missing the likes of Lena Luthor and Snapper Carr.

P.S. 6 heroes in team Arrow, 3 heroes in Team Flash and 5 heroes in Team SG. We've gone beyond the point of overkill. These are shows that are supposed to be about 1 hero.

4/10.
              Last edited by costas22; 01-31-2017, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Solid episode. I am loving Mon-El. That actor is really good so far. I liked the twist that Livewire was kidnapped, not set free. Her dialogue was also just funny and genuine enough to overcome her one dimensional-ness.

Comment

A pet peeve I have with this show (in fact, most of the Berlanti DC shows), is that I tend to watch it for secondary characters and not the title character. Here I was watching for the Martian Manhunter/M'gann M'orzz bit (which I enjoyed), didn't find the Supergirl stuff interesting (got extremely annoyed by her removing Guardian's helmet, without hesitating and then her attitude about Jimmy being a crime fighter). Next week I'll again watch for the Martian stuff. And the week after that I'll be watching for the Lena Luthor stuff (will she turn out to be, whom I suspect her to be?). This show is called Supergirl, the interesting stuff should be with her. Naturally, this doesn't mean, that the supporting characters can't ever do anything interesting or have an interesting plotline. They simply shouldn't be the main attraction.
                  Last edited by jon-el87; 01-31-2017, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vantheman77
                    I have this feeling that Mon-El may last for only one season where it would end with him being sent to the Phantom Zone after prolonged exposure to his weakness of lead.
                    I agree, but if we get the legion out of it, i'm in board.

Comment

MM and Livewire were the highlights in this one. Livewire had so many good lines.

It was fun seeing the 'new' heroes team up with Kara, but outside of this, there is no mistaking why both James and Mon-El want to be partners with SG. It's the dude who cannot catch a break v. the dude who might catch a break vying for Kara's affections, with the former dude who cannot catch a break (Winn) working out some friend zone issues via his Guardian proxy.

They did an adequate job wrapping it in a who is ready to be a hero narrative - James could get killed and Mon-El needs to be mindful of collateral damage - but make no mistake: the love triangle is the undercurrent here and none of the new heroes look selfless at all or entirely honest about their motive. They want to prove their worth to Kara, little different from knights trying to impress a princess on the jousting lists.

Of course their hare brained rogue mission to get Livewire went south and it only exposed their less than noble motives, no matter how many speeches they make about it being due to finding meaning and purpose. James seemed to be just fine finding meaning as an ace photojournalist last season, so his reawakening about finding purpose only this season comes off as late inning to me. Never mind the whole thing making Winn look like another member of the Jealous Potsticker Bearers'/Kara Candle Holders' Club.

The secret keeping blowing up in their faces was expected, though Kara's argument that Mon El is ready but James isn't was nonsensical esp. when Kara glossed over Mon-El's flaws with that classic SV excuse for Clark not being up to a task "He's learning." I don't think that reason will fly for the relatives of those injured or dead cops.

A fun episode on the surface with a few highlights, but with the usual Berlantiverse melodrama. Heck, they ended the ep with James and Winn handing back their fawning Kara Fan Club points cards (S2 variation of Winn's rejection of Guy Friday status with Kara last season) and Mon El being friend zoned.

Cisco: you can print Mon-El' invitation to the Can't Catch a Break "Flying Solo" Valentine's Day Bash now. The verdict is in.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                        A pet peeve I have with this show (in fact, most of the Berlanti DC shows), is that I tend to watch it for secondary characters and not the title character. Here I was watching for the Martian Manhunter/M'gann M'orzz bit (which I enjoyed), didn't find the Supergirl stuff interesting (got extremely annoyed by her removing Guardian's helmet, without hesitating and then her attitude about Jimmy being a crime fighter). Next week I'll again watch for the Martian stuff. And the week after that I'll be watching for the Lena Luthor stuff (will she turn out to be, whom I suspect her to be?). This show is called Supergirl, the interesting stuff should be with her. Naturally, this doesn't mean, that the supporting characters can't ever do anything interesting or have an interesting plotline. They simply shouldn't be the main attraction.
                        It's interesting that you say that because I felt this episode featured one of Melissa Benoist's strongest performances as Kara.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                          There in lies the problem in that they're not writing about Supergirl, but instead are writing around her thus focusing on the supporting characters. There is a difference in writing about Supergirl and writing around Supergirl. What we have this season is the latter.

Comment

This is the third episode that I've ever tried to sit through. Needless to say, I couldn't get through it. This show is just silly. Just like every other CW/DC show, everyone either has superpowers, wants to be a superhero, or just plain puts on spandex and is all of a sudden able to do ridiculous feats. I think that all I need of Supergirl and/or Legends is brief cameos in episodes of Arrow and The Flash. They are the same schlop, but......

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎