Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of the Supergirl Season 2 premiere?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of the Supergirl Season 2 premiere?

What did you think of the Supergirl season premiere, "The Adventures of Supergirl?"

Absolutely loved it from beginning to end. Even though I was a huge fan of the first season, I feel that the move to The CW has made it even better. There's no more holding back!

Comment

I know talking about the boards on the boards is against the forum rules but I'm breaking them - everyone say hello to The Televixen; she's kind of my favorite.

Comment

I enjoyed it, which is already a big improvement over last season. Hoechlin was very good as Superman. He was earnest, confident, and genuine. I didn't understand why Kara did a 180 with Jimmy so fast, but I have no interest in their being together, so I also don't care if they decide not to bring that relationship to series so to speak.

Five bucks Corben was working for Lena the whole time and she staged it to make herself look good. Whether he knew he was working for her or not is a tougher question for me. If he did, and she shot him, he's gonna be seriously ticked off.

You can see all the places they needed to retool, and I'm pretty glad they didnt dwell on it. Just tear the bandaid off quick. I'm fine with that. The changes made sense anyway.

I'm happy. We got a really good Superman and they moved the show forward. My one complaint is Kara becoming a reporter and a Luthor being brought in. I don't need Kara to be "female Superman". I'd rather she be her own character. But, it is what it is.

Comment

This is the Superman we've been waiting for.

Great start to the season and being in CW is a large improvement. Lena Luthor is fitting well in the show, along with Winn joining the DEO.

Despite Superman's presence, it's still Supergirl's show as the focus is on the balance between Supergirl and Kara. Clark's purpose relates to that.

I hope they present Cadmus as a threat real well onscreen.

Comment

I think they handled Superman's entry well and I'm relieved he's at the 'established superhero' stage of his career. He's a known commodity in their universe aka not a rookie, so we won't have to see him learning the ropes as these 'superhero's journey' plotlines should rightly belong to Kara as the lead. I don't have an issue with his sticking around, with my preference being Supes used sparingly but smartly.

When you're dealing esp. with the Man of Steel, there could always be the chance that he would overshadow all things Kara if they aren't careful. As of the premiere, it seems they've found a happy medium -- he'll be there, contribute, but it'll be SG running point on most of the main plots.

I'm hoping they allow Kara/SG to forge her own identity ... and give her the space and breathing room to do so. This also means they shouldn't get too carried away in stacking SG's villain deck with too many of Superman's own villains. The Luthor connection is fine, as long as Lex remains in prison. Like Supes, his presence on SG should be used sparingly but smartly.

Superman may be a recurring character, but it's still Kara's show first and foremost. If they are tempted to make it more about Supes than SG, they could run into problems.

The Supes - MM crisis that is the DEO's 'secret kryptonite stash': this may be an intriguing ethical subplot for them and a plotline that would belong to Superman in the series, with expected fallout on Kara too. They'll be taking on this issue head-on. Compared with The Flash's apparent non-issue/indifference with Barry's secret (and likely constitutional rights-violating ) meta prison under STARLabs, 'the kryptonite issue' is one example where SG is ahead of the curve in dealing with superheroes 'n scruples.

Winn improved and became more interesting as a character the moment he exchanged Guy Friday status and pot stickers with Kara in S1 and became his own person. His role with the DEO could only lead to better things, character-wise.

I was frankly terrified that Jimmy would be stuck with the Primary Love Interest albatross -- and he could very well be still wearing it, if this is only a temporary break. This break and Superman's arrival provides him with freedom as a character that he largely didn't have in S1 when he was part of Kara's love triangles, rectangles and pentagons back then.

Jimmy: welcome to the 'Dude-you-cannot-catch-a-break!' club. You will receive your official membership package once SG transitions into the larger Flarrowverse.

Kara becoming a reporter was a bit too on-the-nose. It might not have been as much of a problem -- if there wasn't already CK, a seasoned reporter, doing the exact same thing in town. Similar to when they both just had to go together to stop an armed robbery, it seems like a duplication of resources when one person could easily do the job.

Overall a good S2 premiere.

Comment

I'm only watching it now, but if i didn't know it was in the cw, i couldn't tell the difference. That's a good first sign. I will say that supergirl doesn't really have a rogues gallery of her own, so it'll be interesting to see where they draw their villains from. I wonder why supergirl doesn't know there's a kryptonite stash at the deo; i can smell a conflict with j'onn coming up.
              Last edited by protege; 10-10-2016, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Kara's not "in the dark" about the DEO having and using Kryptonite; she just doesn't have the same attitude about it as Clark does.

I figured I'd crosspost my review of the episode from elsewhere, so here goes:
                This was the best episode of the series so far, and a fantastic way to usher in the show on its new homenetwork. The DCEU's Man of Steel was the first time I really truly came to like Superman because that movie was the first time that the character felt like a real person to me, but Tyler Hoechlin and the Supergirl writers made me feel the same way about this version of the character, and the way he plays off of Melissa Benoist is brilliant.

I really like this version of Lena Luthor; the way Katie McGrath played her reminded me of Smallville's take on Lex Luthor before everything went to crap with him and Clark, and has me hoping that we see a similar sort of friendship/relationship develop between her and Kara as we go forward. I also hope we get to see more of her being a bad*** because the way she took down John Corben was one of the cooler moments of the episode.

Calista Flockhart was on fire in this episode as Cat, proving yet again why she's going to be missed when she's not around. The way she was a big 'ol horndog for Clark was hilarious, and I love that she was back to mispronouncing Kara's name, albeit more affectionately than she ever had previously. I also love that she had an 'instinct' about Kara wanting to be a reporter.

It bothers me when shows try and do "course correction" retcons like what we got with Kara and James' relationship, but I have enough faith in the people behind Supergirl that I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in this instance and wait and see where they're heading with the character.

J'onn and Clark being awkward and tense around each other adds an interesting layer to both characters, and it feels organic and believable to me that the DEO's use of Kryptonite would be a 'bridge too far' for Clark. I'm also interested to see what's going to happen next week when Clark's fears about Kryptonite come to fruition thanks to the newly resurrected John Corben.

Winn officially joining the DEO was a bit rushed and kind of felt like there was a scene or two missing that would've set it up better, but it does suit him a bit better than being the IT guy for CatCo, so I'm willing to forgive the disjointedness/abruptness and just roll with it.

I did find it interesting that they retconned the final scene of Better Angels and turned it into a big action sequence, but I guess they felt like they couldn't just do a "cold open" that was a beat-for-beat recap of where they'd left off.

And, finally, I knew Brenda Strong was The Doctor the moment we heard that she had landed a recurring role in the series, and that scene where she comes in and talks to a comatose John Corben gave me chills and reminded me of the Supergirl Pilot stinger with General Astra revealing herself.

I'm so happy Supergirl is back, and can't wait for next week's episode.

Comment

The close captioning was kind of jumbled up on the CW lately and unfortunately choose the Supergirl's premiere to do that again. the close captioning was understandable enough for me to get by, but only barely. Deaf DC fan problems. Heh.
                  So I'll re-watch it online soon as CW starts streaming it tomorrow, so that I can enjoy everything more thoroughly.

That said, I did think it was a little too much that Kara became a reporter. hopefully she'll do a unique spin on her reporting style, so that she doesn't become Female Clark 2.0.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
                    The close captioning was kind of jumbled up on the CW lately and unfortunately choose the Supergirl's premiere to do that again. the close captioning was understandable enough for me to get by, but only barely. Deaf DC fan problems. Heh.
                    So I'll re-watch it online soon as CW starts streaming it tomorrow, so that I can enjoy everything more thoroughly.

That said, I did think it was a little too much that Kara became a reporter. hopefully she'll do a unique spin on her reporting style, so that she doesn't become Female Clark 2.0.
                    I'm wondering what else kara could've done at catco to differentiate her from clark, and still give her acess to supergirl emergencies.

Comment

Isn't she supposed to be [SPOILER]working for Snapper Carr at CatCo Magazine[/SPOILER]?

Comment

Originally posted by protege
                        I'm wondering what else kara could've done at catco to differentiate her from Clark, and still give her access to super-girl emergencies.
                        Maybe she could had helped run the online website and blog of an news site. Be a online news blogger/reporter. Maybe that would had modernized her a little more and set her apart from Clark. She's still reporting news and stuff, just in a different way than Clark.

*shrugs* just a idea. besides, as an "online news blogger" this would free her time up considerably enough for super-girl emergencies and the like.

Comment

Very good premiere I thought. The Supes team up was fun and it set up some interesting storylines for this season.

- Tyler did ok as Superman. He kept it basic and simple. It's not that difficult to write and portray Superman anyway. It's difficult to go with a different take, which is why I personally liked Snyder's vision of the character (but that's another story). I did have a couple of gripes. One of them being bambling Clark Kent, which is something that's been done to death, imo. I know Donner did it with success, but it shouldn't be a prerequisite for anyone bringing Superman to life. The other is that they didn't think things through when they were casting Jimmy Olsen and we got someone who looks much bigger than Superman. Other than those nitpicks, Tyler and Melissa had good chemistry and I enjoyed their scenes.

- The Superman/MM dynamic was a weird one. Judging by last year's Superman references, I thought they were on friendly terms. And even in this episode, it seemed to shift over the course of the episode. It started with Hank looking like he had an axe to grind and it ended with Superman carrying a grudge. On the other hand, I am glad to see Hank running the DEO alone again. Nothing against Lucy, but she felt like the odd person out there.

- Sorry if it sounds cruel, but I laughed so hard when Kara friendzoned James. Besides the fact that I was on team Winn last year (probably the only one ), I never saw any chemistry between them. The show is better off without this romance. Although it begs the question, what is James' purpose on this show? Last season he was reduced to being a love interest and now even that is off the table. It's a real shame that they had such an iconic character in their hands and have done nothing of note with him.

- As for the other regular characters, Winn's career turn looks interesting, Cat was Cat and it seems like they are holding back with Alex. Maybe her storyline will unravel more when Maggie Sawyer gets introduced.

- I liked the fact that Kara wanted to think long and hard about what she wanted to do with her life. It just felt like her realization of wanting to become a reporter came out of nowhere and only because Lena brought it up.

- Speaking of Lena Luthor, she was a most welcome addition to the show. It's always fitting to have a Luthor around shows like this and hopefully she will have a juicy role this season.

- Visually, it didn't seem like a lot has changed now that the show is on the CW. The CGI looked fine in most parts as did the exterior shots. Hope they didn't blow too much of their budget on this episode.

8/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon

I noticed that. I'm not deaf but I prefer to watch with the close captioning because I prefer to know what everyone is saying. The only time I don't like close captioning is watching any sport mainly hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                              ... On the other hand, I am glad to see Hank running the DEO alone again. Nothing against Lucy, but she felt like the odd person out there.

- Sorry if it sounds cruel, but I laughed so hard when Kara friendzoned James. Besides the fact that I was on team Winn last year (probably the only one ), I never saw any chemistry between them. The show is better off without this romance. Although it begs the question, what is James' purpose on this show? Last season he was reduced to being a love interest and now even that is off the table. It's a real shame that they had such an iconic character in their hands and have done nothing of note with him.
                              I think they realized there was only so much Lucy could do at the DEO that wouldn't be the same as what Hank could do and MM wasn't going anywhere. With the added bonus that with Lucy not around, there is one less plank in any future love triangles etc.

I welcomed the Jimmy-Kara break and, esp. in the Berlantiverse, I don't think it's cruel at all to want a canon character to get out of a going-nowhere melodramatic subplot that threatens to turn Jimmy into little more than a one-dimensional plot device. On the other hand, I applaud his entry into the aforementioned "Dude! You cannot catch a break" story arc. It's practically the anti-shipper subplot we've seen in all the DCTV shows, hilarious as hell (when it went down I was more like 'Oh. Crap. His heart hits the shredder in 3...2...1. And -- they're on a break, haha') ... and oh yes, I'll intend to bring up these shipper-ignored subplots whenever it does happen. It's the best news for him as a character.

The show needs to decide, like, yesterday, that they need to give Jimmy something more substantial than pining for Kara's fickle love. Maybe helping CK with his investigations would be the thing to save him (Remy Zero's SV theme comes to mind with him). If we're just going to see him have a weeks-long, 'We're on a break' pity party, with Jimmy shedding man-tears over lukewarm pot stickers and old CatCo Xmas party photos, then S2 could be bad for him.

Katie McGrath can do no wrong in my books. I'd have no problem if she stays on the series for awhile. Been a fan of hers since her roles in family-friendly Merlin, her (definitely-not-family-friendly) cameo in The Tudors, and I wish she lasted longer in Jurassic World.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎