No announcement yet.

A question about the DC Comics powered and non power heroes

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about the DC Comics powered and non power heroes

If I can take you guys back in time to 1930's for a few moments.

Back in 1938, Superman first appeared then a year later Batman did in 1939.

In winter of 1940 Justice Society of America, appeared for the first time.

Now it is pretty obvious back when DC was creating these characters, a shared universe was not in mind. They where just telling stories and these characters, existed in their own universe until the first JSA story.

Over the years it has left with people going how can Batman, Green Arrow, Batwoman stand side by side with guys like Green Lantern, Martin Manhunter, The Flash, Superman, etc.
    Some are humans, meta humans then others are just flat out gods and in some cases literality.

My question is to you guys would you prefer like DC having Earth 1 and Earth 2 with the major differences is this. (Even as just like it's own parallel multiverse set inside the bigger DC multiverse.)

Earth 1 has all the non powered heroes, Batman, Green Arrow, The Question, Sandman and maybe the low level meta humans. You'd still have things like the Lazarus Pit with other magic stuff and characters like John Constantine are still in place of course.

On, Earth 2 has all like Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Doctor Fate etc. Of course the meta humans as well.

What are your guys thoughts on this idea?

That would make for some interesting elseworld stories. But honestly I think the nonpowered ones serves as a good balance to the superpowered beings, especially because the superpowered beings sometimes take their abilities for granted and don't think about things like tatics, etc.

Comment

When Arrow first started/was announced and it seemed the powers that be were adamant about keeping it grounded with no superpowers, I thought it would be cool if they eventually created a nonpowered Justice League. Those days are long gone, but I think it could be an interesting Earth in the Multiverse. I don't advocate splitting the main Earth apart, though. I don't have a problem with them all coexisting; my main problem is when a writer thinks Batman needs to be punching the same things as Superman and Wonder Woman in a JL battle. Figure out what he or Green Arrow or Question or Vigilante or anyone else need to be doing to best serve the mission and have them do that instead. Sometimes you just need Booster Gold and Elongated Man on crowd control.

Comment

I'm up for whatever makes the story being told better. That's why I like Elseworlds in the first place. It enables storytellers to tell stories that might not be supported by a particular version of the verse.

Comment

I have to agree. I've been accused of being a purist in the past. I like certain things about my characters how they are, and good stories should be able to stem from that. Elseworld's were awesome, because it wasn't about telling the story "the way it's supposed to be." I didn't take issues with Elseworld's, because that is the place to experiment with characters, and some of them were absolutely fantastic, and among the best stories ever told.

Comment

First @Aurora Moon, nate-dog1701d, Backward Galaxy, HalJordan4184

Thank you guys for even responding to this post. I actually thought after awhile of seemingly no activity that this was just one of my failed ones and didn't interest anyone.

For the Elseworld stuff that would work. Also I agree with one reason why I do like them is you can experiment with stuff and not worry about the canon of everything, else among other reasons.

I've always just seen the TV shows, films like they are else world stuff and why I don't really get upset over certain stuff that other people, like the changes with the whole Black Canary thing in Arrow.

Comment

Its tricky with TV and movies though because they are "selling" the show based on the fan base of the canon. When people hear about a new Green Arrow show, they think about the most typical version. Expectations follow. When the show then deviates, disappointment is inevitable. Fans were asked to tune in for one reason and were given something else.

Plus, it isn't like Arrow made Oliver a Communist or something. They stuck pretty close and just seemed to arbitrarily choose weird tangents. It doesn't feel like an Elseworlds show. It feels like a direct adaptation that either got stuff wrong or made changes that didn't result in something better, like Olicity.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
                Its tricky with TV and movies though because they are "selling" the show based on the fan base of the canon. When people hear about a new Green Arrow show, they think about the most typical version. Expectations follow. When the show then deviates, disappointment is inevitable. Fans were asked to tune in for one reason and were given something else.

Plus, it isn't like Arrow made Oliver a Communist or something. They stuck pretty close and just seemed to arbitrarily choose weird tangents. It doesn't feel like an Elseworlds show. It feels like a direct adaptation that either got stuff wrong or made changes that didn't result in something better, like Olicity.
                Good point on when they sell a movie/TV show it's based on the fan base of the canon and how they can lead to disappointment.

Yep on Arrow. Which for I guess I look at of a else worlds or just one more earth of is just kind of terms I use, when I go into talking comic book stuff. Like you said of it doesn't feel like an Elseworld story.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎