No announcement yet.

Is Clark a hypocrite? or is he noble?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Clark a hypocrite? or is he noble?

Is Clark hypocritical? or does he have noble intentions in his relationships? involving the following characters who are connected to him in some way: Lex, Lana, Chloe, Lois, Lionel, Jor El, Jonathan, Martha and Oliver?

any thoughts?
    Yes, he is a hypocrite
    0%
    No, he is noble and selfless
    0%
    not sure, he is unpredictable
    0%

Haven't you already done a dozen of those threads before already??

Anyhow... I think he can be both.

That's the nature of being a human being, or rather, being raised by human beings.

Most of the time, he can have noble intentions.... but that doesn't mean he is without flaws or any faults. There certainly have been plenty of times where he acted hypocritical, or failed to realize that there was a lot of double standards going on where he would apply high standards to one person but not apply that to everyone else.

Take Oliver Queen and Lex Luthor, his "friends" for instance. I know that we're supposed to believe that Oliver and Lex is different as Day and Night, but the truth is that Oliver and Lex is far more alike than everyone gives them credit for.

In fact Oliver ends up doing a lot of the same things that Lex does... like produce super-serum drugs for soldiers so that the army can have super-soldiers, etc. Oliver consistently ends up stealing ideas and or products from a lot of Lex's activities, and keeps on using those things for himself.

When Lex does those things, Clark thinks it's wrong and EEVVVIILLL!!!
    But when Oliver does those things, It's somehow kosher and a-okay because Oliver is supposed to be a Superhero.... and of course Superheroes cannot do no wrong!

See the double standard?

Comment

I think it varied across the series, depending on the writers and the character relationships. Most of Clark's hypocrisy happened around Lex, or when he suffered the effects of Red Kryptonite. Both of those brought out his worst traits, while people like Lois, Chloe, and his parents brought out the best.

Comment

Off topic, but Clark seemed too much like Batman at times with his threats of violence to get info he needed.....like for example, in season 9, he picks Tess up and makes it like he would drop her from a building rooftop, if he didn't tell him about checkmate......that act is more Batman than something Superman would do, lol or that time he throw Tess across a room in very angry manner to demand to know where his father was. Or let's remember that classic time in season 4 where he goes and saves Bart and Lex from that evil pawn dealer.......he carelessly throws a thug up into a roof top area without thinking for a second.

Comment

My thoughts on this

Originally posted by moviefan2k4
          I think it varied across the series, depending on the writers and the character relationships. Most of Clark's hypocrisy happened around Lex, or when he suffered the effects of Red Kryptonite. Both of those brought out his worst traits, while people like Lois, Chloe, and his parents brought out the best.
          and don't forget Lana, Clark's hypocrisy happens around her too not Just Lex. Lana always brought out the worst in Clark as a lover and as a partner, and Lana is just as much of a hypocrite as Clark is, maybe more of one. And Lana is Clark's human kryptonite. I always see Lana emotionally draining him all the time and I don't like it.

Comment

Lana wasn't as terrible as people often make her out to be; her main problem was a high level of insecurity due to her parents' deaths and others manipulating her. Clark was afraid to trust Lana, mainly because of his association with the meteor shower...but also due to her friendship with Lex. Both men suffered from massive insecurity as well, which was a setup for a very unhealthy form of codependence. All three people tried multiple times to trust and confide in each other, but their desire to keep and/or protect secrets drove the others away. By the time Lana and Clark finally patched things up, Lex kiboshed it with a Kryptonite bomb on top of the Daily Planet. In his mind, that was a sweet revenge against them both.

Comment

Lana wasn't as terrible as people often make her out to be;
              It depends on how you look at it. Lana was prejudiced against "weird people" from the very start. In 1x11 Hug she was thrown from her horse and unconcious. And yet she was convinced that Kyle Tippet had done something to her just because "he lives in the woods".

Then throughout the series she's A-Okay with meteor freaks being killed (3x03 Extinction) or experimented on (6x08 Static).

She's also prone to jump to conclusions and accusations (like when she accused Clark of getting Jason fired in 4x07 Jinx) and never believing Clark despite his track record (e.g. about Tina!Whitney in 2x11 Visage).

And while she expects honesty from her boyfriends she, too, likes to keep her secrets (like hiding the stone from Jason in 4x16 Lucy).

And whenever she is not getting involved with Clark's (and Chloe's) shenanigans she's upset but when she does get hurt, it's Clark's fault too (prime example: 3x08 Shattered)

You could say that she's a flawed human being and I agree but the Extinction and Static events put her in the "morally not OK" box with me.
              Last edited by DJ Doena; 10-10-2016, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I agree with DJ. It was one of the reasons why I wasn't that surprised when Lana went over to the dark side for a while. The only thing that annoyed me was the fact that the writers weren't willing to commit to that, despite all the evidence that Lana had a dark side long before she married Lex Luthor.

Comment

Believe it or not, most people have assumptions about those who live away from modern society...especially in small towns. For example, consider how many jokes you've likely heard about the Amish in your lifetime. As for "Extinction", Jake did try to drown Lana, and she also mentioned Tina Greer. Jake certainly didn't deserve to die, but I can understand Lana's immediate lack of tears. With regard to "Static", Lex killed Bronson after Lana was knocked out...and most people don't have sympathy for kidnappers, either.

Comment

I remember defending Lana's actions in a thread about "Extinction" a while ago. It was definitely horrible the way the gunman wanted to wipe out all meteor mutants, and Clark was rightfully upset about that too as well. I think this was one of the few times when Lana's shallow behavior was very understandable. She was just a teenager who very nearly got killed, of course she wasn't going to think about the implications behind the gunman's actions. All she knows is that the guy saved her, end of story.

That said, There was times when Lana did some pretty terrible things... like what she did to Casey Brock (Coma victim who were attacked by Brainaic). I think when it comes to what Lana did wrong, it's better to focus on the things she actually did do. Those episodes did show how shallow she could be though if things didn't directly impact her.

Comment

Was it ever specified that Lana killed Casey, or detached her from life-support? If she was already brain-dead, and had no family to make the call, that's one thing...but the Smallville writers often avoided such details with background characters.

Comment

Was it ever specified that Lana killed Casey, or detached her from life-support? If she was already brain-dead, and had no family to make the call, that's one thing...but the Smallville writers often avoided such details with background characters.
                        That was the problem, they never went into detail with what happened to Casey afterwards so when you tried to fill in the blanks her actions becomes even more unethical the more you think about it. Casey did have family, they were briefly mentioned I think. The main thing is that she kidnapped Casey from the hospital on the off chance that Casey would wake up and start telling her everything about Brainiac. After all, surely Lana couldn't dump the body back at the hospital after the stunt she pulled.... she would had been caught. So did she just dump the body somewhere for the police to find... or just put her in a morgue under a fake name where Casey's family couldn't find her at all. So not only did she rob Casey the chance to die with her family all around her... Lana's actions that day pretty much pointed Brainaic in the direction of Dax-ur. Bravo, Lana.

Comment

Believe it or not, most people have assumptions about those who live away from modern society...especially in small towns. For example, consider how many jokes you've likely heard about the Amish in your lifetime. As for "Extinction", Jake did try to drown Lana, and she also mentioned Tina Greer. Jake certainly didn't deserve to die, but I can understand Lana's immediate lack of tears. With regard to "Static", Lex killed Bronson after Lana was knocked out...and most people don't have sympathy for kidnappers, either.
                          Yet she still was on Van McNulty's side after he took a shot at Lex.

And regarding Static I'm, talking about this:

Bronson: Do you know your boyfriend has a secret lab hidden inside Luthorcorp tower called 33.1?

Lana: Why is it secret?

Bronson: Because they run experiments on the people who have been infected by the meteor rocks. When patients are released from Belle Reve, instead of freedom, they get a one-way ticket to a secret laboratory.
                          and later

Lana: Listen, Lex, um... about this 33.1 place...

Lex: I already told you. It never existed.

Lana: But if it did... I'd understand why. These people who have been infected by the meteors -- they're dangerous. They've hurt me, and they've hurt people that I care about. The more we learn about them, the better we can protect ourselves.

Comment

When you've been repeatedly victimized by people with very similar backgrounds, its very hard to trust them...even if they didn't personally attack you. Lana reached a point where she was sick of being abused, especially by people with meteor powers. That's one of the reasons she fought so hard later on, to make herself stronger and steal Lex's suit. She just never expected it being designed to run on Kryptonite radiation.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎