No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Falling?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by President_Luthor
    I could buy into Siobhan maybe having 'greater good' motives when she contemplated giving a story pitch to media business rival the Planet -- if we had seen more of these ethical sensibilities from her in the previous episodes. As it stands now, we've seen little -if any- of it. As for her motives, we've already learned that Siobhan's ambition is to be the next Cat Grant and she saw her "Supergirl is a threat story" as a way to leapfrog ahead of Kara, get onto the editorial radar and get her career ambitions rolling.

Cat wisely wanted all the facts to roll in before condemning Supergirl. No doubt there was some self-preservation behind it, as Cat herself "created" the Supergirl brand and Supergirl is a profitable meal ticket for Catco. But re: Siobhan's initial story pitch, Cat was doing due diligence re: the facts that Siobhan clearly didn't bother to do at that point. One video with no idea about the context behind it? I would have killed the story too if I was the editor. Show me more verifiable proof first.

Siobhan could spin that she was trying to get "the truth" out to the Planet all she wants, but at the end of the day she was a Catco employee, the company has a right to expect her loyalty and her flirting with a media rival in order to pursue her ambitions (let's not kid ourselves about her motives) while on the Catco payroll is an act of disloyalty. If she wanted to take the high road for the greater good, she could have simply resigned on principle if she believed so strongly about it then walked over to the Planet.

Once Bad Supergirl was a proven threat eg. when she tossed Cat off the window, Cat had all the facts and context she needed to deliver the message that she did in warning NC about Supergirl. On this front, Cat chose the greater good over what is good for her business, even if it meant tearing down an idol that she herself helped to create and promote.

While Cat is not above criticism esp. in the use of Supergirl to drive her business -- she probably should have been more wary about lionizing Kara the way she did on The Talk (cool scene), considering Kara's immense power -- she ultimately chose the higher road in the end when she was willing to condemn Supergirl in order to protect the city.

I might have sympathized with Siobhan more if a) she had demonstrated some actual media ethics in eps. prior to her story pitch and b) if she didn't wear her ruthless ambitions on her sleeve. I will say that Bad Kara's treatment of her was mostly uncalled for and made me feel some pity for Siobhan even when she was fired.
    Siobhan's ethics aren't important. She was right to try and tell others that a dangerous alien was potentially going off the rails. That's not something to hide ever. How many people could have been killed because of that? The only reason the truth got out was because Kara attacked Cat. Siobhan's pitch wasn't necessarily true as far as she knew, but that doesn't mean Cat didn't have an obligation to the public to warn them about the danger that could be posed by the situation. What happened to Cat's story not too many episodes ago about not holding back something? Unless that wasn't the point of the story? Have a very great day!

God bless you! God bless everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Dagenspear
      Siobhan's ethics aren't important.
      In the field Siobhan is pursuing aka journalism, ethics absolutely is important. It speaks to the credibility of the organization that's putting out the news.

Cat has a brand she is protecting in Catco, she's not TMZ or National Inquirer -- she's not just going to print anything without verifying its accuracy and the facts around it. At that point, Cat could only "suspect" based on that one video that implies there might be a possibility that Kara could be a danger. This is different than saying 'Kara is a threat that is a danger to the city.' A whole lot of if's and maybe's to run a story that we assume should be based on facts. Cat made the right call and Siobhan didn't have a whole lot of credibility on this front.

Jimmy or any other Catco reporter pitching this story might have more credibility, but they would still be expected to prove that they had the facts to back it up. The difference being that these reporters would have known to have their facts lined up before pitching it to Cat.

Siobhan being allegedly motivated by wanting to "protect" or "warn" people by pitching the 'Supergirl may be a danger' story would be more believable to me -- if she wasn't already portrayed as a blatant corporate ladder climber in previous episodes. Warning people, if the story did manage to do this, would only be a by-product for her real agenda: making a name for herself and launching her ambitions.

She was right to try and tell others that a dangerous alien was potentially going off the rails. That's not something to hide ever.
      True -- if Cat knew for a fact that Supergirl was a dangerous alien that was off the rails. She didn't know -- until Bad Supergirl threw her off the building. Until she did know for sure, she would be basically spinning speculation with little basis on fact and based on one video and the word of an employee who wasn't even a reporter?

I don't consider it Cat hiding the truth, but refusing to pass judgment either way on a factually uncertain story until she did know the truth aka due diligence. And when she did know for certain -- what did she do? -- she made a city-wide broadcast warning the entire city about the risks of Bad Supergirl. So when the threat was real and undisputed, she did think of the safety of the city first.

I would actually hold the DEO more accountable re: warning the public if Supergirl were to go rogue as it's their mandate to protect the world from alien threats and one would think they would (and should) have contingencies for such a development. Looks like they didn't. Since they had to rely on a private citizen, Maxwell, to come up with a counter-measure, a case can be made that they dropped the ball in this episode on anticipating the risk of Supergirl being compromised. They solved the issue, but this was a reactive response. It was Maxwell, ironically, who was more proactive in coming up with solutions. Maybe the DEO should have warned the entire world about Supergirl the moment they witnessed just how powerful she really was, even before she turned "heel"? One could argue they've been hiding the truth about Supergirl's potential dangers for years

I can appreciate that Cat rubs some fans the wrong way and I can understand how. No right or wrong in that. Some fans do see her in a better light. No right or wrong in that either. It's a matter of taste, which can't be labelled correct or incorrect and I feel Cat is more of an asset than liability for this series.

As for liabilities? *cough* Love triangles, rectangles etc. * cough*

Comment

I guess Winn re-joins the dude-can't-catch-a-break club again, outside of his closet fumblings. (Cisco's got your all-access membership card laminated and personalized, Winn. Club hoodies arrive in 4-6 weeks.)
        Poor Winn. What's next? He goes after Alex, but she shoots him down for Max.

Comment

I agree completely with President Luthor. I get the feeling that Cat Grant was meant to be that hard-ass boss that you could love and hate depending on the situation.

She represents neutrality, and is the authority that grounds Kara in her "human" life. She represents the idea that not all "good guys" are actually nice to start with... that even some decent people can be a total hard-ass to start with.

Basically, She's like a overly strict authority figure. That's what she really is, with the way she runs her company. In order to be a boss that runs things, she's had to be stern and strict about what she doesn't allow under her Catco company roof. If she was super-nice or even wishy-washy then she wouldn't had been believable as an boss at all.

I think some people are so accustomed to the idea that all women must be nice to others 24/7 otherwise they're just a rapid *****. There's also some sexist ideas about "bossy women", etc out there. So that it throws them off to see a female boss who actually acts like a real boss does, and is very effective at her job as an result. So what if her personality came off as "abrasive" at first? She's just simply being professional.
          As an boss you can't expect her to hold hands with her employees singing songs around a campfire or something cheesy like that... She wouldn't get very far if she acted like that.

Comment

In the field Siobhan is pursuing aka journalism, ethics absolutely is important. It speaks to the credibility of the organization that's putting out the news.

Cat has a brand she is protecting in Catco, she's not TMZ or National Inquirer -- she's not just going to print anything without verifying its accuracy and the facts around it. At that point, Cat could only "suspect" based on that one video that implies there might be a possibility that Kara could be a danger. This is different than saying 'Kara is a threat that is a danger to the city.' A whole lot of if's and maybe's to run a story that we assume should be based on facts. Cat made the right call and Siobhan didn't have a whole lot of credibility on this front.

Jimmy or any other Catco reporter pitching this story might have more credibility, but they would still be expected to prove that they had the facts to back it up. The difference being that these reporters would have known to have their facts lined up before pitching it to Cat.

Siobhan being allegedly motivated by wanting to "protect" or "warn" people by pitching the 'Supergirl may be a danger' story would be more believable to me -- if she wasn't already portrayed as a blatant corporate ladder climber in previous episodes. Warning people, if the story did manage to do this, would only be a by-product for her real agenda: making a name for herself and launching her ambitions.
            None of that matters. The video should have been released. Cat had no right to keep it from people.
            True -- if Cat knew for a fact that Supergirl was a dangerous alien that was off the rails. She didn't know -- until Bad Supergirl threw her off the building. Until she did know for sure, she would be basically spinning speculation with little basis on fact and based on one video and the word of an employee who wasn't even a reporter?

I don't consider it Cat hiding the truth, but refusing to pass judgment either way on a factually uncertain story until she did know the truth aka due diligence. And when she did know for certain -- what did she do? -- she made a city-wide broadcast warning the entire city about the risks of Bad Supergirl. So when the threat was real and undisputed, she did think of the safety of the city first.
            Cat has no right to decide any of that. She doesn't get to decide what the public should know and when. It doesn't matter if it was Supergirl. The video and information of it should have been released, not withheld from the public for Cat's convenience. She could have put a disclaimer. She said it could have been another Bizarro. Yeah, it could have been. That's something the public should have known about. Supergirl is irrelevant. The knowledge of potential danger of any kind shouldn't be withheld at the discretion of a news outlet. Have a very great day!

God bless you! God bless everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
              Poor Winn. What's next? He goes after Alex, but she shoots him down for Max.
              Speaking of max, i wonder if they're going to do anything with him and alex,next season, or if peter facinelli is even coming back.

Comment

Great episode! Going into it, I was hoping that a Red K storyline would add a little more dimension to Kara's character... and it did not disappoint! Visions of Red K Clark replayed in my head, and there were similarities, but thankfully, there were differences as well. Both received a boost in sexiness, sass, and an ability to express pent-up feelings, but one of my favorite scenes was Kara's scene on the recovery table. We've all been there, and said things that we wish we could take back, or shared a little too much of what we really feel, only to be met with an unexpected reaction. Great job, Melissa Benoist! I felt the heartbreak and regret, right along with you.

Comment

Originally posted by protege
                  Speaking of max, i wonder if they're going to do anything with him and alex,next season, or if peter facinelli is even coming back.
                  Hopefully he will be a recurring character. I'd love it if he was the Lex Luthor of this show, but I get why it's hard to tie down Peter to a full time contract. If he does return, I hope they don't use him as a love interest though.

Comment

Fantastic episode! I did however find one major fault with it, and this fault kind of plagues the series as a whole.......and that fault can be summed in the form of a question, "Where the hell is Superman?" His cousin has the dark side of her personality unleashed and he doesn't fly in to try to reason with her or at least help Alex and Hank contain her? One thing that really makes me mad about WB is that it is a company that OWNS DC Comics and has access to the ENTIRE PANTHEON of characters unlike Marvel, and instead of using the "Big Three" on tv, they are restricted to big screen appearances only! We, being comic book fans, are not stupid.......we can tell the difference between movie continuity and TV continuity, there's no reason Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman can't make 1 or 2 episode appearances on this or any other DC show. It would have made a great episode with a nice Superman III homage that much better.

Because of that nitpick, I dock off a point and rate it 9 out 10.

Comment

I wondered about Superman as well. Thinking ahead to the culmination of the Myriad plot, I wonder if we'll get a mention of Superman being off-planet or something.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎