Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Took them long enough to drop a longer official-ish trailer. To me, the giant fleet of perfectly aligned Star Destroyers stood out the most.

Comment

Originally posted by AsteroidMike
        Took them long enough to drop a longer official-ish trailer. To me, the giant fleet of perfectly aligned Star Destroyers stood out the most.
        Looks ridiculous when seeing the Resistance Fleet is a few small X-wings and such. At least in Return of the Jedi the rebel fleet consisted of Admiral Ackbar's larger cruiser class ships as well as these smaller fighter class ships. I don't see how the Resistance would even stand a chance. Oh that's right, Leia can fly through space like Superman.

Comment

Current worldwide gross: $1,073,294,598. It's currently the 8th highest grossing movie of 2019. Prior to its release, I figured that it would end up in the top three grossing movies of 2019, when you look at the track record of recent Star Wars movies (not counting Solo): TFA (#1), Rogue One (#2) and TLJ (#1).* Sure, looking at Box Office Mojo, it's still grossing money, but it won't break into the top five grossing movies.

The top five grossing movies of 2019:
          1) Avengers Endgame ($2,797,800,564).
          2) The Lion King ($1,656,943,394).
          3) Frozen II ($1,448,824,988)
          4) Spider-Man: Far From Home ($1,131,927,996).
          5) Captain Marvel ($1,128,274,794).

* Not to mention the older movies: ANH (#1), ESB (#1), RotJ (#1), TPM (#1), AotC (#4), RotS (#2).
          Last edited by jon-el87; 03-04-2020, 03:44 AM.

Comment

I saw a version of Episode 9 on Disney Plus. Was it the version that was shown on the screen? I don't know. It's a so-so movie. It would have a little bit better if it wasn't a Star Wars movie.

Comment

Yeah, it was that awful.

But in this movie's defence, the previous 2 movies caused it to be so awful.

Comment

I just purchased this thing to finish the Skywalker saga. I simply skip the celebration scene. I'll never watch it again.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                  Yeah, it was that awful.

But in this movie's defence, the previous 2 movies caused it to be so awful.
                  This.

WIth the dumpster fire that the episodes VII and VIII were, it'd have taken one hell of an effort and an awesome writer to come up with a great Episode IX. It's as if you were riding shotgun on a car, and the driver started driving at full speed towards a wall, only to hand you the wheel a mere 15 yards before said wall.

Comment

Rewatched the Star Wars Rebels episode "A World Between Worlds". Frankly, this movie should've taken inspiration from that. The whole thing writes itself: Kylo Ren (despite his whole "let the past die" speech in TLJ) is on a quest for another portal to this "world between worlds", to allow him to save the Emperor's life (during his fall, after Vader throws him) and bring him into the present (for whatever endgame Kylo has). The heroes set out to stop Kylo. Use this "world between worlds" to further explore the main trio, by having them see things from their pasts. The family that Finn was taken from. A Rey origin twist (a better one), if they want. Want to bring back a few dead characters? They could. Mace Windu, directly after he's thrown out of Palpatine's window. Han Solo, right after he's stabbed by Kylo Ren (and falls down the abyss). Introduce plot device (not force healing), to not only repair the fatal damage to Han's body, but perhaps rejuvinate Han. Resulting in Han transforming and looking young again (enter Alden Ehrenreich), while having the experiences of his older self (and now has do deal with suddenly seeing a 40-ish years younger man looking back at him, in the mirror. While also dealing with the news that Leia has passed away). It would've Allowed Lucasfilm, if they want, to do more Han Solo films. Without being dependent on Harrison Ford, or forced to make them prequels. Would've also given more weight to Solo A Star Wars Story. Suddenly, not just a random prequel, but them introducing the actor who'll be playing Han Solo from this point in the timeline.

This is just me spitballing (right after rewatching an episode of television). A writers room, with months on their hands, would've been able to develop and improve the concepts.
                    Last edited by jon-el87; 07-27-2021, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Quite enjoyed the parody, in the most recent episode of Robot Chicken.

Palpatine: "You despise me. And with your hatred..."
                      Rey: "Despise you? We have no relationship whatsoever."

They really hit the head on the nail with that one. People often talk about the "No, I am your father" twist, but there was more to it than a mere line. In A New Hope, Luke is told that Vader murdered his father. Mere hours later, Luke sees Vader strike down Obi-Wan (Luke's friend/mentor/father-figure). Empire Strikes Back takes place three years later. For three years, both Luke and the audience have believed that Vader killed Anakin Skywalker. For three years, Luke has hated Vader for killing both his father and Obi-Wan. Now... Luke (and the audience) is told that Vader, a man whom he hates, is his father. Shattering everything that Luke thought he knew.

Compare that to the Rey and Palpatine reveal. They have no established relationship. Rey has never suffered at his hands. Rey has no prior expressed views (in TFA or TLJ) on Palpatine (who died long before she was born), that would cause her learning that she's related to him to turn her world upsidedown.

Now, you don't need to have two characters have a pre-established relationship for a reveal to have an impact. I thought that the Tess reveal on Smallville worked (and she had never interacted with the Lionel Luthor (i.e. her father) from her Earth). However, there you first had 26-year-old Tess learn that she's adopted, something that she had never known (as her adopted parents had never told her). Suddenly learning that you're adopted can be a shocking revelation (and Tess is shown dealing with the newly discovered knowledge that her father abandoned her. She has regained the traumatic memory of Lionel leaving her at the orphanage). Then you have the fact that she learns that she's the daughter of Lionel Luthor... around the same time that she's been making friends with a bunch of people... who views Luthor blood (that she now knows is in her vains) as poison (and all with it as evil). Putting her in a position, where the reveal might damage or end her new friendships. Finally, while she has no past relationship with Lionel Luthor, she does have one with Lex. Lionel's son and her half-brother. So it is a revelation about someone, that Tess has an established, pre-existing relationship with (since before her season eight introduction). In fact, she once claimed to have loved Lex. If it was love in a romantic sense, she is now confronted with the revelation... that a man she once loved... is her half-brother. These are elements that turns a character's world upsidedown.

Rey turning out to be Palpatine's grandkid (an obvious attempt to undue the reveal from the previous film (that Rey's parents were nobodies), that was met with backlash, and a sparked petition demanding that the film be rendered non-canon) is not that. Frankly, I didn't care. If anything, I found it disappointing, that they had to make her part of a special bloodline. A character shouldn't need to be the child or grandchild of someone to be important. Instead, they decided (in the eleventh hour) to make her the granddaughter of Emperor Palpatine... wait... if her grandfather was an Emperor. Does that technically make Rey a Princess? I thought that (fictional) Princesses were a bad thing now (I'm not being sarcastic). I'm certain that I've seen some criticism over female characters being Princesses somewhere, but can't remember the specifics. Tried to Google it, but all that came up were stuff about Disney Princesses (of course, with Lucasfilm owned by Disney... Rey, if she is a Princess, technically is a Disney Princess), not feminist views on fictional Princesses in general.

So, the big impact on the character of Rey is that... she's basically (if not outright) a Princess. She's also shown to have romantic feelings for Kylo Ren (even kissing him). A man who has spent an entire trilogy abducting her, telepathically violated her mind, beat her, tried to kill her, verbally abused her, tried to control her, manipulate her. Making her part of another tired (even dangerous) trope. He's done all of that crap to her, but "she knows that she can change him, with her love".
                      Last edited by jon-el87; 09-25-2021, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                        Naomi Ackie plays a character named Jannah. In the old EU, Han and Leia had a daugther named Jaina and Luke had a son named Ben. In the sequel trilogy, Han and Leia have a son named Ben. So, perhaps it will be revealed that Luke has a daugther named Jannah (Skywalker).
                        Me (before the release of the film): "This young black woman could be Luke's kid."

The actual film: "This random black woman is probably Lando's kid."

The Robot Chicken Nerd: "Is that racist? It feels racist. It's probably racist."

To give some cred to the Robot Chicken writers, they did predict that Rey would turn out to be a descendent of Palpatine (only kid, instead of grandkid. Of course, Rey's father was apparently a Palpatine clone. No idea how that counts). Let's just be glad that the second half of that prediction didn't turn out to be true. It'd be like Gwen Stacy having twins with Norman Osbourn... wait...
                        Last edited by jon-el87; 05-02-2022, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Rewatched this for the first time. Only seen it once before, when it was released. To this date, it is the only Star Wars movie (not counting the two Ewok movies), that I don't have a physical copy of (nor digital).

Them dialing back on Rose Tico's scenes feels like them backing down to the racist backlash that happened after TLJ. We're introduced to new character Jannah, who isn't given much to do. Before the release of the film, I speculated that she'd turn out to be Luke's hidden daughter. I envisioned a scene, where she'd whip out Luke's green lightsaber from RotJ, and start deflecting blaster bolts... and then experienced concern that Rey had put people off the notion of female Jedis (causing such a scene, to make people leave the movie theater).

Jannah is established to be a deserting stormtrooper, like Finn. However, instead of connecting her deserting to Finn (with him having inspired her, and the others), it's credited to just a "feeling" (the Force). It's as if free will doesn't exist. Everyone are just puppets, having their strings pulled by the Force.

Too many convenient things keeps happening.

Zorii Bliss feels like she's there to disprove speculations, made by some (including myself) after TFA, concerning Poe's sexuality. (Of course, him liking Zorii doesn't mean that he can't also like dudes. Bisexuality is a real thing, no matter what Ryan Murphy insists.)

Don't really care for Rey taking the Skywalker name. She's renouncing her own lineage and heritage, and claiming theirs. And not just her Palpatine heritage, in favor of an appropriated Skywalker heritage, but renouncing her Naboo heritage for their Tatooine heritage (okay, the Skywalker's clan lineage is a little bit more difficult than that. Padme's from Naboo (so they do have partial Naboo heritage), but Tatooine is where Luke grew up. It's where Anakin was born and spent the first ten years of his life. It's where Shmi (born on an unknown world) spent most of her life. Rey buries Luke and Leia's lightsabers on Tatooine, because this planet is the home of the Skywalkers. She doesn't bury them just anywhere. Not even Naboo). Okay, maybe she doesn't want to go around calling herself "Rey Palpatine" (linking her to an evil galactic dictator), but then she could just use her mom's name or something.
                          Last edited by jon-el87; 04-16-2023, 10:29 AM.

Comment

The only racist apect of Rose Tico's presence on TLJ was the fact that she was a diversity hire by Lucasfilm to appeal to the Chinese market. A shameless tactic by a studio that didn't have the guts to stand up to the same market when it erased John Boyega from Star Wars posters because he's black (speaking of racism). Rose's reduced screen time here has nothing to do with fan criticism. It's simply because she's a useless character who has nothing unique to offer and her presence on TLJ was a huge waste of time and added nothing to the film.

As for Jannah, she was going to be revealed as Lando's daughter, but the movie was heavily edited and the information was deleted. All we were left with was a weird scene between the two of them at the very end of the movie that felt like Lando was hitting on her.

Both Zorii and Jannah could have been introduced better and much earlier in the series (of course that would have required the sequels having a coherent story, not 3 separate stories that couldn't mesh). The sequels, and I can't believe I'm saying this, actually missed a decent romance that would have humanized some characters. Poe and Finn wasn't it. That was just fan wanking. Kylo and Rey wasn't it either. That was an offputting connection that Abrams idiotically tried to validate by having them kiss at the end. Yuck. The lack of romance is evident especially in regards to Finn and Poe. Two characters who kept playing second fiddle to Rey and who didn't have a romance to make their cause worth it, like Han had with Leia. Zorii could have been it for Poe. Jannah could have been it for Finn. But both guys struck out because that's what they were best at in these movies. Hell, Zorii openly turns Poe down at the end (nice happy ending, Lucasfilm).

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                              The only racist apect of Rose Tico's presence on TLJ was the fact that she was a diversity hire by Lucasfilm to appeal to the Chinese market.
                              I was talking about the Twitter abuse of Kelly Marie Tran, following the release of the film.

And how could she be an attempt to pander to the Chinese market, when the actress is Vietnamese? This isn't like Iron Man 3, where they hired a couple of Chinese film stars (and shot additional scenes), just for the Chinese market.

Mind you, Rose could've benefitted from better writing.
                              Last edited by jon-el87; 04-17-2023, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎