Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

Talk about Episode IX here.
    Last edited by darkphoenix21; 08-24-2019, 01:33 PM. Reason: Title Change

Carrie Fisher will appear in Episode IX...

Talking with the New York Daily News, Todd Fisher (Carrie's brother) said that he and Fisher's daughter Billie Lourd (who appeared with her mother in The Force Awakens) granted the studio rights to use recent footage of her in some capacity. "Both of us were like, 'Yes, how do you take her out of it?'' And the answer is you don't," said Fisher. "She’s as much a part of it as anything and I think her presence now is even more powerful than it was, like Obi Wan — when the saber cuts him down he becomes more powerful. I feel like that's what's happened with Carrie. I think the legacy should continue."

http://www.empireonline.com/people/c...rs-episode-ix/

Comment

Originally posted by darkphoenix21
      Carrie Fisher will appear in Episode IX...

Talking with the New York Daily News, Todd Fisher (Carrie's brother) said that he and Fisher's daughter Billie Lourd (who appeared with her mother in The Force Awakens) granted the studio rights to use recent footage of her in some capacity. "Both of us were like, 'Yes, how do you take her out of it?'' And the answer is you don't," said Fisher. "She’s as much a part of it as anything and I think her presence now is even more powerful than it was, like Obi Wan — when the saber cuts him down he becomes more powerful. I feel like that's what's happened with Carrie. I think the legacy should continue."

http://www.empireonline.com/people/c...rs-episode-ix/
      Disney had stated previously that they weren't going to do the Peter Cushing-thing with Carrie Fisher after she died. In the end...it all comes down to money.

Comment

It says they gave permission to use recent footage, whatever that means. I don't think this news indicates a change on the prior stance.

Comment

Star Wars: Episode IX is now set for release on May 24, 2019.

Comment

Episode IX is getting a rewrite. Jack Thorne, the British scribe who wrote the upcoming Julia Roberts-Jacob Tremblay movie Wonder, has been tapped to work on the ninth installment that is to be directed by Colin Trevorrow.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...writer-1026003

Comment

In something that won't come as a major shock considering how sloppily this trilogy has been put together, Colin Trevorrow steps down as the director for episode IX:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09/05/star-wars-episode-ix-colin-trevorrow-out-as-director
              Last edited by costas22; 09-05-2017, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                In something that won't come as a major shock considering how sloppily this trilogy has been put together, Colin Trevorrow steps down as the director for episode IX:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09/05/star-wars-episode-ix-colin-trevorrow-out-as-director
                Why do you think this trilogy has been put together "sloppily"? Say what you will about Episode 7, I think it's pretty much exactly what they were shooting for. And it sounds like everyone is happy with Rian Johnson, unless you know something I don't.

Rogue One and the Han Solo film on the other hand...

That said, I'm not sure I've run into too many people who really wanted Trevorrow on the project anyway. Jurassic World made eleventy zillion dollars at the box office, but it was not without considerable flaws.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
                  Why do you think this trilogy has been put together "sloppily"? Say what you will about Episode 7, I think it's pretty much exactly what they were shooting for. And it sounds like everyone is happy with Rian Johnson, unless you know something I don't.
                  Because it doesn't feel like there was any long term plan on how it would unfold. They did the first movie (which also underwent writing changes, but lets ignore that for now) without having someone to come up with a storyline structure for the entire trilogy. Kasdan and Abrams came up with characters and storylines that someone else would have to deal with in episode 8 and then someone else would have to deal with again in episode 9. At least there was some sense of continuity when Rian was announced to write episodes 8 and 9, but apparently someone else will write episode 9 now. When a movie, the 3rd part of a trilogy like this no less, changes its writer and director, it indicates that there's a lot of confusion about where the story should go.

I found Rian Jonson's recent comment about Snoke quite telling:
                  "He's a dark force: the scary thing behind the thing. That was entirely how I approached Snoke. I wasn't interested in explaining where he came from or telling his history, except where it serves this story.” In other words, "I didn't come up with the character, so I don't feel compelled to explain his background".
                  Last edited by costas22; 09-06-2017, 07:51 AM.

Comment

I don't look at it the same way you do. I think that they probably do have a very clear outline of where we all end up. I think that's probably why they cut ties with Trevorrow. He probably wanted to do something other than what they already have in mind. Let's also not downplay the loss of Carrie Fisher. We have no idea how much that is changing everything behind the scenes.

I also interpret the meaning behind Rian Johnson's comments to simply mean that the story isn't about Snoke, much in the same way Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi weren't about Emperor Palpatine. Everyone is falling all over themselves trying to figure out Snoke's "true identity", but maybe the story is mainly about Rey and Kylo.

Comment

.....and maybe a fourth Death Star. That would certainly be a good way to refresh the franchise. Disney and JJ have done enough damage with their lack of imagination. They probably wanted Trevorrow to remake Return of the Jedi. How many times have we heard Rian Johnson say that this is The Empire Strikes Back of this trilogy?

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy

I also interpret the meaning behind Rian Johnson's comments to simply mean that the story isn't about Snoke, much in the same way Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi weren't about Emperor Palpatine. Everyone is falling all over themselves trying to figure out Snoke's "true identity", but maybe the story is mainly about Rey and Kylo.
                        Snoke is Disney & JJ's cheap excuse for a cardboard villain. We're probably going to be told in future movies that Snoke was around before the Emperor, that he trained the Emperor, that he orchestrated the entire rise of the Empire through the Emperor or something really retarded like that to make him sound worse than the Emperor. Disney is so predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by Glove
                          Snoke is Disney & JJ's cheap excuse for a cardboard villain. We're probably going to be told in future movies that Snoke was around before the Emperor, that he trained the Emperor, that he orchestrated the entire rise of the Empire through the Emperor or something really retarded like that to make him sound worse than the Emperor. Disney is so predictable.
                          I mean... How interesting was Palpatine in Jedi? He was just this evil old dude who shot lightning out of his hands. Vader didn't even get too compelling until ESB. It sounds like you're going in with your mind made up. There will be plenty of time to complain about this thing after we see it.

Comment

Abrams to write and direct Episode IX:

Not sure how original his script will be, but at least there will some continuity within the trilogy.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                              Abrams to write and direct Episode IX:

Not sure how original his script will be, but at least there will some continuity within the trilogy.
                              Abrams directing is a good thing.

Abrams writing is a bad thing.

This should be interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍