Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is Rey? (Star Wars: The Force Awakens Spoilers/Speculation)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The OT was about a Skywalker vs. a Skywalker, with Luke's journey culminating in the redemption of his father. I see no reason why this trilogy wouldn't be the exact same thing.

Comment

The more I listen to The Collider/Schmoes Know crew on YouTube, the more I'm coming on board to the idea (with good reason) that Rey maybe in fact related to Obi-Wan as a granddaughter.

Comment

Originally posted by darkphoenix21
        The more I listen to The Collider/Schmoes Know crew on YouTube, the more I'm coming on board to the idea (with good reason) that Rey maybe in fact related to Obi-Wan as a granddaughter.
        If the rumors are true that "they aren't done with Obi-Wan Kenobi", and plan to use Ewan McGregor again in his own spinoff film(s), then that could make sense. But wouldn't it fly in the face of his line in Empire about Luke being their last hope? If he knew he had progeny out there, they would have the potential to be Force users, too.

Of course, they could explain it away that he thought they died somehow, or that they hadn't been trained and so he didn't consider them an option (like Leia). But still... a teeny bit of retconning there.

Comment

It's hard to see how Obi-Wan's descendants would end up on Jakku. Did OB1 just screw a girl in that bar on Coruscant, very un-Jedi like, and abandon her?

I prefer the option of Rey being the Emperor's daughter, though that would make her 29+ years old. At least it works without need of a convoluted plot device. But that's not what's going to happen.

My brother-in-law's theory is that Rey is a clone created from Luke's hand, the one that fell at Bespin.

Comment

Originally posted by DA_Champion
            It's hard to see how Obi-Wan's descendants would end up on Jakku. Did OB1 just screw a girl in that bar on Coruscant, very un-Jedi like, and abandon her?
            Superman did it.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
              Superman did it.
              That was good :-)

Comment

From CBR:

During an interview on Jimmy Kimmel Live with guest host Josh Gad, Ridley was asked if the truth regarding Rey's parentage was something she knew from the beginning. "No," Ridley replied. "At the beginning there was toying with, like, an Obi-Wan connection. And then... there were, like, different versions. And then it really went to that she was no one. And then it came to Episode IX, and J.J. [Abrams] pitched me the film and was like, 'Oh yeah, Palpatine's your granddaddy.' And I was like, 'Awesome.' And then two weeks later, he was like, 'Oh, we're not sure.' So, it kept changing." According to Ridley, she didn't know the definitive answer until after filming had already begun.
                Looking back, building the Rey character around the mystery of who her parents were was a mistake. It was the big Rey-related question that TFA left many with. Rather than something about the character as a person, it was "is she related to anyone interesting?". Was that the most interesting thing about her? If the answer didn't interest you, or you lost interest in the question between movies, did you care about Rey?

Did anyone come out of Raiders of the Lost Ark wondering who Indiana Jones' parents were? (Okay, we met them later on, but that's besides the point.) Did anyone come out of Alien wondering who Ripley's parents were? And so on. Outside of Rey, I can't really think of a sci-fi/adventure character, in films, where the core question were about who their parents are (I'm not counting Vader's shock revelation in ESB. That's something introduced three years after the introductions of the characters. No one left ANH with questions about Luke's parents) It tends to be about the character(s) himself/herself and the adventure that the protagonist(s) is on. Who is Rey (outside of being the new Jedi character), if one removes the question about her parentage? (Cut it out of the trilogy.)

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎