No announcement yet.

What is it with TV writers lately?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it with TV writers lately?

I mean, they try so hard to make us like the relationships they set forth in the TV shows... but we end up hating it even if we originally started out as an shipper of that.
    I admit it, I was a Oclity and Clana fan until the writers made me hate the ships.

And now they're making me hate crossovers too? I used to think that crossovers were the bomb, etc... but now I just despise the idea because they're always making us watch a TV show that we may not watch regularly...

for instance, I don't watch Arrow as much as I used to because there was certain aspects about the TV show that didn't just appeal to me. Likewise I'm sure there's Arrow fans who doesn't watch the flash that much. But I was forced to watch Arrow for the second part of the crossover just so that I could know what happened to Kendra. I don't like being made to do things like that.

I can't help but wonder if they even thought ahead towards things like DVD sets. For the crossovers, there comes a time when people are gonna collect the DVDs. So I wonder if they're gonna stick the flash-arrow eps together on the dvds,or if we'll be forced to collect arrow dvds too or vice versa just so that the crossover makes sense to the new fans.

*shakes head* I have to say the way they set up the crossover events is such a mess sometimes.

Crossovers are events they can sell. You don't watch Arrow, but you watched it this week. They care that you didn't like it, but they don't care at the same time. What they like is that they can go back to advertisers and say "look, we got more viewers, now pay us more money to advertise in this spot".

If you end up buying the DVD/Blu to boot, that's even better.

They're going to keep doing it until it either gets too expensive to produce or it stops working to raise awareness of both shows.

As far as the shippy stuff goes, almost every show on television has a romance angle. Good writing and good performances usually pulls them off. Bad writing and/or bad performances makes you hate them and often gets shows cancelled.

Comment

If bad romance writing usually got shows canceled, then why didn't SV get cancelled for all the relationship angst they had?? *shakes head*

Actually, I almost kind of wish that had happened... this way TV executives would actually learn the right lessons from that instead of learning the wrong lessons on what makes TV good.

It's like they look at Smallville and think:
      "It ran for 10 seasons, so it was successful for some reason. Now let's look at what was in that show... ah, plenty of love problems and love triangles. I see, this is what sells TV. Then in that case, I'm gonna fill Supergirl's show with love trangles everywhere! in Arrow and flash too...."

They didn't get why viewers tune in to watch in the first place.... and instead think it's all about the melodrama. You know what I'm saying?
      Last edited by Aurora Moon; 12-03-2015, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
        If bad romance writing usually got shows canceled, then why didn't SV get cancelled for all the relationship angst they had?? *shakes head*
        There are exceptions to every rule. That and the show had a wildly loyal fanbase and actually was good in the beginning.

They didn't get why viewers tune in to watch in the first place.... and instead think it's all about the melodrama. You know what I'm saying?
        Yes, but some people also enjoy melodrama. Soap Operas, for example, are quite popular to daytime audiences. Even the fans of those shows often know that they are watching something terrible, but they are drawn to it anyway. There is an art to crap. Why is the 1966 Adam West Batman show great but the George Clooney Batman and Robin movie godawful? Art to crap.

Comment

True, but the thing is that people tuned in to watch a Superhero show of sorts...they wanted to see Superman/Clark Kent grow up into the Superman they knew and loved. They didn't exactly sign up for the soap opera that was poorly disguised as an superhero show.

And sometimes people keep on watching because they often see the potential of a good show there, and hope that it'll get better. Especially if it was already good for three seasons before it went to crap.

It would be one thing if an TV show unashamedly embraced the camp/opera/etc factor that it had going for it, but you can't attempt to be all of those things at once while trying to stay a serious show. If you attempt to turn a niche TV show into something it's not in an attempt to appeal to wider audiences, then it's gonna bomb.

batman '66 was good because it embraced the camp wholeheartedly, and it was also clear that they loved their fans. So it was great for people who were a fan of Batman AND campy stuff.

Comment

Last year, the Flash episode wasn't on the Arrow set, and vice versa, but this year it's hard to avoid.

I mean, the old Magnum PI sets had Simon & Simon crossover episodes, and stuff like that, so they really should.

Comment

[QUOTE=Aurora Moon;8144656]I mean, they try so hard to make us like the relationships they set forth in the TV shows... but we end up hating it even if we originally started out as an shipper of that.
              I admit it, I was a Oclity and Clana fan until the writers made me hate the ships.

And now they're making me hate crossovers too? I used to think that crossovers were the bomb, etc... but now I just despise the idea because they're always making us watch a TV show that we may not watch regularly...

for instance, I don't watch Arrow as much as I used to because there was certain aspects about the TV show that didn't just appeal to me. Likewise I'm sure there's Arrow fans who doesn't watch the flash that much. But I was forced to watch Arrow for the second part of the crossover just so that I could know what happened to Kendra. I don't like being made to do things like that.

I can't help but wonder if they even thought ahead towards things like DVD sets. For the crossovers, there comes a time when people are gonna collect the DVDs. So I wonder if they're gonna stick the flash-arrow eps together on the dvds,or if we'll be forced to collect arrow dvds too or vice versa just so that the crossover makes sense to the new fans.

*shakes head* I have to say the way they set up the crossover events is such a mess sometimes.[/QUOTE

You know, that reminds me- i thought that the second part of last year's crossover would've been on the flash dvd set, but it wasn't was it?

Comment

True, but the thing is that people tuned in to watch a Superhero show of sorts...they wanted to see Superman/Clark Kent grow up into the Superman they knew and loved. They didn't exactly sign up for the soap opera that was poorly disguised as an superhero show.
                You and I didn't, maybe, but others clearly did.

batman '66 was good because it embraced the camp wholeheartedly, and it was also clear that they loved their fans. So it was great for people who were a fan of Batman AND campy stuff.
                And the Clooney movie didn't embrace the camp? I thought they did. Didn't make it enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
                  And the Clooney movie didn't embrace the camp? I thought they did. Didn't make it enjoyable.
                  well, the comments by the actors and the director said otherwise when they were interviewed about it. They honestly wanted it to be a serious movie while retaining the superhero campy background at the same time....

Hence, why it bombed. they wanted to be campy and serious at the same time, which they couldn't be.

Comment

Originally posted by protege
                    You know, that reminds me- i thought that the second part of last year's crossover would've been on the flash dvd set, but it wasn't was it?
                    It's not? Great, that just confirms my fears about the dvd sets. Although I have to say... There's no way I'm gonna buy the arrow dvd set just to rewatch that one crossover ep. If anything I'd most likely download that off the net with srt files for subtitles.

Comment

well, the comments by the actors and the director said otherwise when they were interviewed about it. They honestly wanted it to be a serious movie while retaining the superhero campy background at the same time....

Hence, why it bombed. they wanted to be campy and serious at the same time, which they couldn't be.
                      I've not seen those, but the Bat credit card kinda contradicts their statements.

Comment

It's hard to believe that they actually treated the bat credit card thing as an serious thing, huh? I don't blame ya.

Comment

Nothing bad really happened in the series for awhile. Arrow hit that bump in season 3 where Smallville was doing pretty good writing wise.
                          Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
                          It did.

God bless you both! God bless everyone!

Comment

It bombed because some people don't appreciate fun. There was nothing overtly serious, but the movie dealt with serious themes, which was fine.

God bless you! God bless everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Dagenspear
                              It bombed because some people don't appreciate fun.
                              That is an argument designed to dismiss legitimate complaints without actually addressing them.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎