Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved It? Hated It? What did you think of "Stronger Together?"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm assuming the Danvers did know about kryptonite, but just assumed Kara would never come face to face with it, hence never warning her.

We don't even know at this point that Jeremiah and Eliza Danvers are "good guys" - though, looking like Superman and Supergirl can't hurt them

Comment

Hmm, good point. The Danvers could end up being like Elsa's parents from frozen. That is, they're very well-meaning and want to protect both their daughters. But they went about it in the worst way possible. Instead of training Kara to master her powers so that she doesn't go out of control or something, they tell her to conceal any abilities she has and NEVER use it no matter what. And then they make the stupid decision to never tell Kara about the Kryptonite, because hey they can shelter her from that forever right?

That's why Kara ends up acting like a total noob with her powers, not even knowing how to control it right. I suspect that Superman already mastered most of his powers when he was a teenage boy....because The Kents never went down the "conceal it, don't feel it, never do it" route.

So it would be a case of "What the hell, parents?" instead of "What the hell, superman?"

Comment

3/10
        Most people have hit the nail on the head so I'm not going to bother repeating or quoting....TOO...MANY....PLOT...HOLES!

So upset about where this is going/has gone. Martian Manhunter might be my only saving grace to stick around more.

Comment

"Superman would have blown it out by now." Man, what a jerk.

I'd like to volunteer to give Kara a hug.

I'm still enjoying the show so far, but I agree with some of the criticisms. Many conversations feel more like lectures than conversations. Cat's speech about taking baby steps, for example, was ultimately good advice that Kara needed to hear, but it was a little too precisely what she needed to hear. I'm not crazy about the sisterly conversations either. I guess "on the nose" is a good description.

I also agree about the Superman shoutouts. Perhaps it's realistic that everyone would talk about him, especially after a woman with all his powers and twice his fashion sense shows up in another city, but narratively, it inspires a setup-payoff mentality that I know has almost no chance of panning out. Furthermore, setting up Kryptonian/Phantom Zone prisoners as the season's villains is an odd choice. Superman has never been entirely confined to Metropolis, especially not during alien invasions, so why wouldn't he be interested in this?

Originally posted by President_Luthor
          I prefer a Superman that is rarely seen (if at all, maybe a 10 sec passing glimpse of him in a series finale)
          Hey, I remember that show.

Comment

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
            Hey, I remember that show.
            Oooooooh. Nice one.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
              Hmm, good point. The Danvers could end up being like Elsa's parents from frozen. That is, they're very well-meaning and want to protect both their daughters. But they went about it in the worst way possible. Instead of training Kara to master her powers so that she doesn't go out of control or something, they tell her to conceal any abilities she has and NEVER use it no matter what. And then they make the stupid decision to never tell Kara about the Kryptonite, because hey they can shelter her from that forever right?

That's why Kara ends up acting like a total noob with her powers, not even knowing how to control it right. I suspect that Superman already mastered most of his powers when he was a teenage boy....because The Kents never went down the "conceal it, don't feel it, never do it" route.

So it would be a case of "What the hell, parents?" instead of "What the hell, superman?"
              Yeah, and if this is set for in the MOS universe, clark already went down that route with his parents. He bacame superman anyway, so i'm a little surprised he didn't keep in touch with kara or her parents growing up, to see how she was adapting to life on earth. But then, i'm not really close with my cousins either.
              Last edited by protege; 11-06-2015, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Are viewers actually expecting Superman to show up on Supergirl, beyond that brief glimpse of him in the pilot? Maybe the people of National City might, if they've made the connection to Supes due to her costume and the Olsen link. It's unavoidable that comparisons will be made. I could see maybe casual viewers who tune in, hear a couple of Superman references and think: 'Hey, where's Superman?' I think TPTB just wanted to cross their t's and dot their i's in the second episode and (maybe) we won't be deluged with too many shout-outs about Kara's more famous cousin as the season progresses.

On TV, I think we've heard and seen more than our fill of SV Clark's meandering and long journey. Great Hera, that was a long journey. More Clark Kent on TV, with SV still in the rearview mirror? Once burned, twice shy as they say.

Yeah it would be cool to see Superman (actual Superman, not Clark cosplaying as some generic superhero), who wouldn't want to see him appear on the show? But if the spotlight is on Supergirl and her journey, I'd prefer that the Man of Steel doesn't show up. He'd automatically take focus away from Kara and her story. The likelihood is nil thanks to BvsS and I'm more than fine with that.

Comment

Originally posted by protege
                  Yeah, and if this is set for in the MOS universe, clark already went down that route with his parents. He bacame superman anyway, so i'm a little surprised he didn't keep in touch with kara or her parents growing up, to see how she was adapting to life on earth. But then, i'm not really close with my cousins either.
                  Maybe Clark's parents died in this universe like they did in New 52, So Clark couldn't bring Kara to them. There was also a storyline in new 52 for power girl, snice she was from another universe than the main one. It showed her background as having been constantly sheltered by Superman... He wanted her to remain hidden from the world forever because he wanted an ace up his sleeve and so that enemies wouldn't go after her to hurt him.

That got me thinking... Maybe in this universe both Clark Kent and Superman is in constant danger all the time. Clark Kent does all those exposes on people's nasty, illegal secrets alongside Lois, so he gets his share of enemies. Superman also gets those Super-foes who could had easily harmed and killed 10-year-old Kara at the time if they ever found out that he had an cousin. Put Clark and Superman's life together then you got this kind of life that isn't really safe for child-rearing.
                  So maybe Clark realized that he didn't have the ideal living situation to adopt his own cousin, even though he wanted to. He thought that it was for her own safety to have her adopted out to a family who he could trust. This way he doesn't have to worry about his enemies targeting Kara because of his association with her. But he does secretly look up her files and stuff from school, etc... just to make sure she's actually happy where she is.

And then later on, he secretly sends Jimmy her way in the hopes that Jimmy would encongre Kara into being the best hero she can be now that she's old enough.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎