No announcement yet.

Star Trek: Discovery (Paramount+)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
    Do review embargoes ever precede good reviews?
    Nope usually the opposite. I can understand if they want to avoid spoilers but to full on embargo reviews? Thats pretty much admitting the show is not long for the tv world.

At least when its something like The Orville, they let critics review it then premiered it and let the audience speak for themselves. The reviews from critics were harsh. Like i said though, Fox put the show out there and it became a ratings hit.

Also, the same night Discovery hits The Orville will air, therell be a new WWE PPV and Kingsmen 2 will be in theatres. Even if WWE doesnt hurt the show, Orville is still gonna be going strong and the opening wknd for Kingsmen 2 is supposed to be the biggest since IT. The odds are not in Star Trek's favor. Plus isnt there football that night too? Yeah not a good night to premiere.

One of my friends just told me if football runs long on CBS they have already said theyll delay the premiere by at least 30 mins or maybe more. Thats what happened with stuff like Reaper's season 2 premiere for me here and the Knight Rider nbc pilot when that was delayed for political ads. I dont see a lot of Trek fans waiting and waiting while football ends to watch Trek. Especially if the game goes longer than possibly expected. Im sorry but all thats gonna make a lot of people do is change the channel.
    Last edited by Austin 3:16; 09-17-2017, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
      Do review embargoes ever precede good reviews?
      Most major releases actually get an embargo, but it gets lifted in advance of the release as far as 2 weeks out. The shorter the time between the embargo lift time and date and the release time and date, the more likely the studio knows it is sitting on a stinker. I read an article that used a 20+ release sample size of recent major film releases and the correlation between the embargo time and score on RT is fairly damning.

Comment

Yeah, that's been my inconsistent and nonscientific observation as well. This show has never sounded like it had all its ducks in a row from the start anyway.

Comment

A lot of the reviews on Twitter from people after they saw a screening seemed surprisingly positive. I'm bitter I wasn't invited to come see it. Lol. But I'm excited!

Comment

Originally posted by Austin 3:16
            Nope usually the opposite. I can understand if they want to avoid spoilers but to full on embargo reviews? Thats pretty much admitting the show is not long for the tv world.

At least when its something like The Orville, they let critics review it then premiered it and let the audience speak for themselves. The reviews from critics were harsh. Like i said though, Fox put the show out there and it became a ratings hit.

Also, the same night Discovery hits The Orville will air, therell be a new WWE PPV and Kingsmen 2 will be in theatres. Even if WWE doesnt hurt the show, Orville is still gonna be going strong and the opening wknd for Kingsmen 2 is supposed to be the biggest since IT. The odds are not in Star Trek's favor. Plus isnt there football that night too? Yeah not a good night to premiere.

One of my friends just told me if football runs long on CBS they have already said theyll delay the premiere by at least 30 mins or maybe more. Thats what happened with stuff like Reaper's season 2 premiere for me here and the Knight Rider nbc pilot when that was delayed for political ads. I dont see a lot of Trek fans waiting and waiting while football ends to watch Trek. Especially if the game goes longer than possibly expected. Im sorry but all thats gonna make a lot of people do is change the channel.
            There are two things that go against what you've said here:

First, The Orville has already started to crash, before Discovery even premiered. Ratings for their first Thursday episode were not good.

Secondly, it ultimately doesn't matter when Discovery premieres on CBS because the idea is for people to subscribe to CBS All Access, where they can get TWO episodes on premiere night. The CBS airing is just kind of like a "free sample." So if ratings are "low," eh, whatever; if there's good word of mouth and people subscribe to All Access, they got the job done.

Comment

It should have been a two hour premiere for everyone. The second episode actually set up the rest of the season. Their intention was to hook people into subscribing to All Access; the second episode served that purpose more so than the first episode.

I enjoyed both episodes but, again the second episode actually let you know what the rest of the season would bring. I’m actually looking forward to watching more.

Comment

I wasn't going to give CBS my personal credit card info just to get one free week of viewing on CBS access, so I didn't get to see the second ep.

So I'll say this. I thought the first episode looked great. It looks like the kind of show that I would had loved to watch regularly, had it not been on CBS all access.

Which is such a shame, because I'm already paying for two streaming services. I wasn't going to pay for one more just to watch one TV show on there.

Comment

Many will probably wait until the season finale in November, sign up for the free trial and binge watch it than.

Comment

I don't think it was a trainwreck by any stretch of the imagination, but in my opinion it doesn't plug any of the holes left by the lack of Star Trek on television.

The Klingon storyline is mildly interesting so far, but the Klingons themselves are totally unrecognizable, so I find myself with a distinct lack of sentimental attachment towards them. The mouthpieces they forced the actors to wear are also so cumbersome that their speeches sound ridiculous. They are long-winded to a fault because the actors can't spit out too many words at a time without having to take a breath or readjust. It's also quite obvious that the uniforms the Klingons are wearing make moving and fighting almost impossible.

The special effects were strong, but very much Kelvin-Trek. I hate the redesign on the Klingon ships. I hate the way the battle was depicted. It was a total mess. I could barely tell what was going on.

There was very little emphasis on exploration. This felt like an action show. It felt like Pine and Quinto Trek, and I just don't really want that out of my TV-Trek. I don't need that. I have Pine and Quinto already if I want that.

I also find the premise of the main character being a rebel/outcast to be entirely boring. There have been plenty of characters in Trek's history that fit that mold, but they weren't the focal point of the whole show. I don't want Jack Bauer in space, constantly breaking the rules to do what needs to be done.

I don't know. I'm probably not being fair because the first two episodes simply aren't at all what I wanted them to be. It's not fair for me to hold it against them that they just made something else. I should review it on that basis alone. But it's hard. Trek has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember, and this doesn't feel like Star Trek to me. I wanted it to feel like Star Trek. I'm disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by darkphoenix21
                      It should have been a two hour premiere for everyone.
                      I agree. When it got to the cliffhanger, I was like, "Oh, of course they would do that!"

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
                      I thought the first episode looked great. It looks like the kind of show that I would had loved to watch regularly, had it not been on CBS all access.
                      I definitely would've watched if it were on network, but—yeah—I can't afford more than what I'm paying for (basic cable) right now either.

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
                      I don't think it was a trainwreck by any stretch of the imagination, but in my opinion it doesn't plug any of the holes left by the lack of Star Trek on television.

The Klingon storyline is mildly interesting so far, but the Klingons themselves are totally unrecognizable, so I find myself with a distinct lack of sentimental attachment towards them.
                      I didn't mind that they didn't look like Klingons from the other shows. I just chalked that up to them not evolving to that point yet.

I thought Son of None was interesting and I would've liked to have seen what happened to him.

Overall, I thought it was pretty good, but it didn't blow me away. One thing that confused me was: Why didn't the Federation know how the Vulcans handled the Klingons? In other words, why didn't they know to fire on them first to avoid an all-out war? Instead, Burnham had to leave the bridge, get the info from Sarek, and then mutiny? I thought it made no sense. The Federation should've known how to handle that—unless, at this point in their history, they have little contact with Vulcans?

Anyway, it was pretty good. Not the best, but not as bad as I was expecting given all the production issues.

Comment

I have seen the first episode on CBS, last night. I wish that it take place after the tenth Star Trek movie instead of 10 years before the first series. I fear that this series is making the same mistake as Star Trek: Enterprise. I also wish that it's on a free broadcast station.

Comment

Liked the first episode. Liked that Sarek is in this and the Kahless mention. Not sure if I like the new characters or not. Lots of attention paid to the 1st officer who seems to be a bit of a loose canon and little bit to the science officer who is a bit cowardly lion. Always like Michelle Yeoh but the fact she is a guess star I am not expecting the Captain to be around for long so I am not too invested in this character. Wasn't much in the first episode to make me want to invest in continuing with CBS all access. Wasn't terrible but wasn't remarkable either.

Comment

Who watched Episode 3?

I haven't yet as CBS All Access isn't streaming right to my XBox properly >-(

Comment

Originally posted by KSiteTV
                              Who watched Episode 3?

I haven't yet as CBS All Access isn't streaming right to my XBox properly >-(
                              It was a bore for me, until the last 15-20 minutes of the episode. [SPOILER] Most of the episode was on the infamy of Michael. How even with her infamy, Captain Lorca picked her. Though, speaking of Captain Lorca...is their something sinister/off with the guy?[/SPOILER] Though I admit I was half paying attention to the episode. I’ll have to rewatch it again.

Comment

Muuuuuuuuuch better in my mind. This episode actually felt like an episode of Star Trek.

I still question the decision to revolve the story around Michael, especially when you have Jason Isaacs as your freaking Captain. But I enjoyed episode 3 a lot more than the previous two.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎