No announcement yet.

Archery

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amarice
    Ah, that's really a painful change. And once a month really sucks. I haven't been shooting two weeks in a row and I'm already feeling that I'm missing something.

Okay, for a better understanding - by "anchor" you mean the manner how the bow string is drawn (two fingers, three fingers, thumb etc.)? Tried to Google it, but I'm not sure, as anchor point seems to be a different thing. I draw the bowstring with three fingers. Came across photos archers drawing the bowstring under their chin (Olympic champions etc.). Before I started practising archery I didn't pay much attention at how different the anchor points can be - guess it's like with everything in life, you start to notice certain things only after giving some thought to it.
    When you draw back your bow to full draw you usually connect your draw hand (the hand pulling the string) to a fixed position such as your chin. Many people use the tip of their middle finger which is then called an "anchor" once it connects with the anchorpoint (your chin for example). The use of an anchorpoint is to ensure a consistent and easily repeated amount of power for your arrow flight so that every time you shoot at a target you always aim at the same spot. If you vary the draw length with each shot then you also have to vary where you aim in order to hit a target with each shot. No matter if I'm standing in a traditional Olympic stance or crouched under low hanging tree branches I always use the same exact anchorpoint so that I know exactly how and with what amount of force my arrows will fly which means I can always aim at the same point regardless of how bad my shooting stance is. The grip is less relevant, I use the Mediterranean two fingers under and one finger over the nock. I started shooting using my middle finger tip touching the corner of my mouth but over time it wandered further up to my nose because that simply felt more natural and comfortable for me. All that really matters with an anchorpoint is that it is consistent.

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎