No announcement yet.

Archery

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archery

Not sure if it's the right place for this topic, but since it's the show where the archery plays an important part...

Does anyone of you practise archery?

I hesitated for a long time, before I bought my first bow some time ago (a traditional longbow) - mainly because I couldn't find a right place to shoot it, living in the middle of the city. I'm still a beginner, but what I have already discovered is that archery is very relaxing hobby. One focuses mostly on hitting the target. Or looking for the arrows later on, when the target has been missed.

Originally posted by Amarice
    Not sure if it's the right place for this topic, but since it's the show where the archery plays an important part...

Does anyone of you practise archery?

I hesitated for a long time, before I bought my first bow some time ago (a traditional longbow) - mainly because I couldn't find a right place to shoot it, living in the middle of the city. I'm still a beginner, but what I have already discovered is that archery is very relaxing hobby. One focuses mostly on hitting the target. Or looking for the arrows later on, when the target has been missed.
    I'm an archer, Amarice. I was lucky enough to have a club nearby (20 minute drive) with a section of woods in which we had two permanent parcours set up, one for field archery and one for 3D archery.

Comment

Yea I actually practice archery. Which Arrow as a show actually got me more interested in learning about it.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleDevil
        I'm an archer, Amarice. I was lucky enough to have a club nearby (20 minute drive) with a section of woods in which we had two permanent parcours set up, one for field archery and one for 3D archery.
        Originally posted by Haggard01
        Yea I actually practice archery. Which Arrow as a show actually got me more interested in learning about it.
        Great. What bows do you use? I have a longbow, 28 lbs. A while back I was ordering my first set of arrows and guess what color of fletching I chose. There is an archery section close to the place I live. 3D archery is practised on more open space or something? Never heard about it before.

Comment

Great. What bows do you use? I have a longbow, 28 lbs. A while back I was ordering my first set of arrows and guess what color of fletching I chose. There is an archery section close to the place I live. 3D archery is practised on more open space or something? Never heard about it before.
          I primarily shoot a 45lb take-down recurve with green fletching with a yellow cockvane, due to clan family colors and not the Green Arrow. 3D archery is simulated bowhunting, 3D animal targets placed at unmarked distances in natural settings which can mean you're shooting between trees or through relatively small holes in brush.

Comment

Is take-down recurve a type of bow Ollie was using in season 1?

Right now I'm not even close to aiming accurately. Need to practise more. However 3D archery sounds interesting.

As for this green fletching with a yellow cockvane I was a bit worried that it won't be distinctive enough and I will lose them in grass. But since I could choose whatever colors I liked I couldn't stop myself from this little nod to GA.

Comment

Is take-down recurve a type of bow Ollie was using in season 1?

Right now I'm not even close to aiming accurately. Need to practise more. However 3D archery sounds interesting.

As for this green fletching with a yellow cockvane I was a bit worried that it won't be distinctive enough and I will lose them in grass. But since I could choose whatever colors I liked I couldn't stop myself from this little nod to GA.
              Yes, Oliver used a take-down recurve in season 1. It's a 3 piece bow made for easier transport or for upgrading when starting out or growing up.

When I practice I use the same technique I use while shooting 3D tournaments, I shoot maximum 3 arrows at a target before collecting my arrows. That way I have a better idea of where my arrow went if I actually miss the target instead of trying to remember where I shot 12-20 arrows. As for the fletching colors, I know people with neon pink vanes that have troubles finding their arrows while others find their camouflage arrows just fine, it all depends on how the arrow lands and how deep it buries itself in the grass.

Comment

Another technique I use since our parcour was set in the woods is called "stump shooting", you pick a spot while walking in the woods and shoot at it. It's something like a particular leaf lying on the ground or a stick at some unknown distance and you only shoot 1 arrow at it before collecting the arrow again, usually done while walking from one 3D target to the next.

Comment

Aiming at the leaf... So far I'm focusing on aiming at the shooting board which hangs 20-something meters from me.

As for the fletching colors, I know people with neon pink vanes that have troubles finding their arrows while others find their camouflage arrows just fine, it all depends on how the arrow lands and how deep it buries itself in the grass.
                  Before I started shooting the bow I had no idea that the arrows can hide so well in the grass!

Pity that in the show they never showed how Ollie is trying to collect his arrows to reuse them later during the times when he was short on money. But I noticed that one or two times he had unstringed bow. Hard to say if they did it on purpouse.

Comment

Aiming at the leaf... So far I'm focusing on aiming at the shooting board which hangs 20-something meters from me.

Before I started shooting the bow I had no idea that the arrows can hide so well in the grass!

Pity that in the show they never showed how Ollie is trying to collect his arrows to reuse them later during the times when he was short on money. But I noticed that one or two times he had unstringed bow. Hard to say if they did it on purpouse.
                    I believe it was in the movie "The Patriot" where Mel Gibson said something along the lines of "Aim big, miss big. Aim small, miss small." 20 meters should be about the sweet spot for your bow meaning you'll hit where you aim without having to adjust for distance. Aim for the center of the target everytime and you'll hit the shooting board a lot more often than if you just aim to hit the board.
                    Last edited by DoubleDevil; 10-30-2015, 07:21 AM.

Comment

I believe it was in the movie "The Patriot" where Mel Gibson said something along the lines of "Aim big, miss big. Aim small, miss small." 20 meters should be about the sweet spot for your bow meaning you'll hit where you aim without having to adjust for distance. Aim for the center of the target everytime and you'll hit the shooting board a lot more often than if you just aim to hit the board.
                      Thanks for the piece of advice. Yes, it went a bit better that way. So far my problem is that I can't draw my bow to the full draw (28") as of yet. -_- Yesterday it might be partially because of the weather, as it was quite chilly. I was shooting from my friend's bow, which is exactly the same type as mine, but 26 lbs.

Comment

Thanks for the piece of advice. Yes, it went a bit better that way. So far my problem is that I can't draw my bow to the full draw (28") as of yet. -_- Yesterday it might be partially because of the weather, as it was quite chilly. I was shooting from my friend's bow, which is exactly the same type as mine, but 26 lbs.
                        You'll get use to shooting in the cold, it's great fun looking for arrows in the snow. JK!

I have a short drawlength (27") but that's because I have an odd anchorpoint, the corner of my nose instead of the corner of my mouth or my jawbone below my ear. I prefer to look down the length of my arrowshaft when I aim as if I was aiming a rifle. The shorter you draw back the bow the less power it has. I believe you loose about 2lbs. per inch, so drawing a 26lbs bow (@ 28") only 26" would be equal to shooting a 22lbs bow.
                        Last edited by DoubleDevil; 11-01-2015, 01:19 PM.

Comment

You'll get use to shooting in the cold, it's great fun looking for arrows in the snow. JK!

I have a short drawlength (27") but that's because I have an odd anchorpoint, the corner of my nose instead of the corner of my mouth or my jawbone below my ear. I prefer to look down the length of my arrowshaft when I aim as if I was aiming a rifle. The shorter you draw back the bow the less power it has. I believe you loose about 2lbs. per inch, so drawing a 26lbs bow (@ 28") only 26" would be equal to shooting a 22lbs bow.
                          Not sure if my bow will get used to being shot in the cold.

I'm not sure if I found my optimal archorpoint as of yet. I usually draw the string and anchor it more under the jaw than in the corner of my mouth. And I'm trying to partice intuitive archery or whatever it's called - guess it will take ages before I will be able to shot that center of the board on purpouse.

How long have you been practising archery, DoubleDevil?

Comment

Not sure if my bow will get used to being shot in the cold.

I'm not sure if I found my optimal archorpoint as of yet. I usually draw the string and anchor it more under the jaw than in the corner of my mouth. And I'm trying to partice intuitive archery or whatever it's called - guess it will take ages before I will be able to shot that center of the board on purpouse.

How long have you been practising archery, DoubleDevil?
                            I starting late in life, 1998. I was really active until I started my "new" job in 2007 and drastically scaled back due to time constraints. I use to shoot every Sat and Sun for roughly 4-6 hours each day and at least once during the week for an hour or two. Now I get out maybe once a month if I'm lucky.

The anchorpoint is wherever you feel is most comfortable, it's just you need to be able to use the same point over and over so corner of the mouth or under the ear are usually used because it's easy to replicate. I'm guessing you're using your thumb as an anchor, maybe right under your chin would work for you since it's an easy position to locate for continual use.

Comment

I starting late in life, 1998. I was really active until I started my "new" job in 2007 and drastically scaled back due to time constraints. I use to shoot every Sat and Sun for roughly 4-6 hours each day and at least once during the week for an hour or two. Now I get out maybe once a month if I'm lucky.
                              Ah, that's really a painful change. And once a month really sucks. I haven't been shooting two weeks in a row and I'm already feeling that I'm missing something.

The anchorpoint is wherever you feel is most comfortable, it's just you need to be able to use the same point over and over so corner of the mouth or under the ear are usually used because it's easy to replicate. I'm guessing you're using your thumb as an anchor, maybe right under your chin would work for you since it's an easy position to locate for continual use.
                              Okay, for a better understanding - by "anchor" you mean the manner how the bow string is drawn (two fingers, three fingers, thumb etc.)? Tried to Google it, but I'm not sure, as anchor point seems to be a different thing. I draw the bowstring with three fingers. Came across photos archers drawing the bowstring under their chin (Olympic champions etc.). Before I started practising archery I didn't pay much attention at how different the anchor points can be - guess it's like with everything in life, you start to notice certain things only after giving some thought to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎