No announcement yet.

Problems Viewing Threads due to Video Ads

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems Viewing Threads due to Video Ads

Now for the last couple weeks I've had a near impossible time reading and posting all over the boards due to video ads that seem to turn on and force the page back to them which means that even if I'm trying to read up or down thread from it, it forces the page to the ad. Then if I try to pause it, it does nothing. If I try to scroll away, it forces me back. Waiting out the ad doesn't work because it just starts over or moves on to another ad.

I end up hitting the refresh button and the page goes back to normal for a while and then the problem starts up again but if I'm trying to post or make a comment, everything I've written is lost. The only way I've managed any posts longer than a couple sentences is by writing my thoughts out in Word and then doing a copy and past quickly into the forum.

Often the only way I can read a post is click my mouse into a specific spot and hold the page in place (the whole time the page fighting against my action so I constantly see flashes of the ad and the page I'm trying to read at the same time.

This may have been the longest I've been able to type into a page in weeks. And it happens everywhere. In the comment section for reviews. Here in the Help section when I tried to read someone else's concern. Everywhere I've gone in the Arrow forums.

If I wasn't so stubborn (hello, I still will get into an argument about the merits of Chlois if incited) I probably would just give up. I'd hoped it was a glitch being worked on but waiting out the problem doesn't seem to be working.

I'm using a regular PC and using whatever the most recent version of Internet Explorer is now. Hope there is some kind of solution.

That's a very weird thing, because as far as I know, there are no video ads on the site. Have you tried browsing with a different browser? I know a lot of people are going away from IE, and maybe it's an IE bug not related to the site...

I appreciate your mentioning what browser and kind of computer you have. One other thing though (unless you're so far gone you gave up): Do you remember what was being advertised on the video ads? If that's the case, I can probably also contact Google (as only Google ads are on the forum) and see what they have to say/if they can block that sort of ad/ that sort of thing.

My apologies that it's happening. Hope I can fix it for you.

Comment

I went looking for the ad so I could mention some of the advertisers and lucky me, it popped up right away. It kept playing on a loop for about five minutes, this is the list. There were usually two or three ads and then it would feed into a Greek Recipe video that lasted one and a half minutes before going back to a static image of grilled beef on skewers which comes with the title of "Greek Recipes" And then repeat the cycle. It's completely random as far as I can tell when the picture suddenly transforms to videos since after it finally stopped and I came back here, once again I see the Beef Skewer's picture but so far it's not turning into video.

Tirerack
      Verizon - saw this one several times
      John Deere
      Mercedes Benz

This link (on Imgur) is a screen capture to show you what the static ad looks like.

http://imgur.com/GL8ESYZ

Once you follow the link click on the image to enlarge.

Comment

Not sure if this helps or not, but on another thread where I noticed again seeing the Greek Recipe meat picture, this was what showed up for it's properties:

In comparison, this is what shows up for one of the AdChoices adverts:

I've checked my add ons for malware and done system scans and at least so far haven't found anything that seems out of place but who knows.

Comment

Actually, no, those ads do look/sound like legit ones. I just don't know why they're taking over.

Give me a few to look this up and see what I can find out? I'm sorry... they shouldn't take over a page, that's for sure.

Comment

I don't know how the algorithm works, but it's definitely localized, as I'm seeing exclusively ads in German.

Comment

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎