Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of "Who you really are"?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of "Who you really are"?

So I thought this episode was a bit uneven but had some good moments.

Sif felt...almost incidental, to me anyway?

I enjoyed Skye and May's sparring. Nice to see Skye is keeping up on her training.

The Kree! So glad to see a Kree warrior on Earth.

Sif's memory restored (that didn't take long), the crate with the diviners is empty and Skye's secret is out.

Jemma's reaction was interesting to watch (her hurt that Fitz didn't tell her).

Can't believe Skye shot herself to stop herself! Actually, that was pretty clever.

I am so proud of Fitz for standing up for Skye. Can't believe the others were saying that stuff about her. Yes, she has this new power but she can learn to control it. They're acting like she's the Hulk or something (what's next, "Quake-buster armor"?). I just keep thinking about Steve/Captain America. He had a scientific thing change him and give him powers that could be used for destructive purposes. yes, admittedly, he volunteered and Skye didn't but still.

I also have to say my dislike for Mack grew so much this episode. From his bit about them needing protection from Skye to telling Bobbi to distance herself from Hunter to what he actually did to Hunter? I never really cared for Mack (I would much rather Tripp survived) and my dislike for him is very strong now.

Poor Skye locking herself away.

So a good episode though I felt the Sif stuff was weak. And I would like more focus on others besides Bobbi, Hunter and Mack (and Skye).

Also, would love to know where Ward is. Hope he returns soon.
    10--You are a warrior of Asgard!
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    1--you are Hunter after Mack got through with you
    0%

The poll is expired.

I used to like Mack. He did a great job help Fitz. Now, I can't stand the douche. I also liked hoe Fitz stood up for Skye. Jemma drove me nuts with her I was only saying that because of Raina, not Skye. Because it sure did sound like she was generalizing to ALL inhumans. I agree that Sif seemed incidental. I was hoping that there would be more meant behind it like when she was last on. I know for sure that Ward will be back in "Love in the time of Hydra".
    Last edited by cosmicbimbo; 03-12-2015, 01:55 PM.

Comment

For me, after watching the trailer and seeing one shot in the actual episode... I couldn't help getting "booted out" of the narrative, so to speak, and thinking, "Huh, they're doing what all those films "made for 3D" did, aka filming something in such a way that only makes sense when you view it a certain way... aka that shot works for the trailer in the "Shock clip of the trailer", but not in context of the episode... like Resident Evil's various, varied and numerous shots that are bloody cool when viewed 3D, but just falls flat one 2D... heh. So yeah, that very shot, in the episode, fell flat, for me. (versus how stoked I was for the episode due to that trailer...)

They didn't need Slo-Mo with "This is cool in 3D... WATCH IT IN 3D!!" camera-shot.

I can think of a maybe-better way to have composed that scene... Camera on dolly track rotating around the scene for the argument, then focus on skye from the side (the window visible at the edge), "dull" the sound, as she drops to her knees, too focused on trying to gain control, hands to her head... then CRACK, and everyone turns to her, fitz first to reach (as the tracking shot as it went around showed him noticing her difficulties.)

as for in-narrative. hm. Skye is still my favourite character, and they need to stop putting her in the trust/dont-trust camp. Also, I see possible Skye/Fitz stuff, though I admit that its probably purely my interpretation of it all, than anything intentional from the writers...
      The lack of "Fitzsimmons" is both disturbing, and, well, good. because someone should never be defined a hundred percent as fifty percent of a duo. Fitz is coming into his own, Simmons is, and quite understandably, we may not like either/both, though I'm leaning on "Fitz is still awesome and deserves a monkey!". I like the direction they're starting to take with Simmons... they need to give her more "I'm getting better at lying"-ish stuff.

now. Sif.

She's Awesome, and it was... odd, seeing her in "earth" clothing, was just as odd as it would for convention goers, if she's been to one.
      I'd have liked it better if they didn't have her memory come back immediately... or even by Kree-hammer. Let her stay for a episode or two...

The Kree was brilliant, though somehow underused. For one thing they settled that plotline WAY to quickly... it would have been good as a latter-half-plot-long "There's an alien on earth, hunting people with abilities"... it would have been great to have that mystery undercurrent of just how many inhumans there are, how many there *were*, and the crossover potential when he reappears, with Sif coming back later on.

hm... got an idea. so I'm done now.

Comment

I am relieved that Fitz and Skye aren't playing the secrets and lies game for several episodes -- it's all out there now, and very quickly too -- so kudos to Fitz for stepping up and standing his ground. Bobbi and Mack are now the ones taking the lead on the secret-keeping, but at least there's some momentum (and I'm relieved they didn't turn out to be HYDRA.) We already have one HYDRA "heel" turn with Ward and the top-dog turncoat title belongs to him.

It's a bit of a catch-22 when they have newer members join the main team. They're going to need attention/focus to further develop their characters and subplots, but at the same time it means less of (for example) May, Coulson, or Ward. I can't begrudge the series for, out of necessity, needing to focus on some of the supporting cast members: they have to give them due attention, if character A or B is going to be on the series beyond one episode. I just wish they would capitalize on these moments and use them more effectively when they do concentrate on them.

This is precisely why it seems Sif's latest appearance was just okay, nothing spectacular. I liked the Kree subplot, but this story could have existed whether or not Sif was present in the episode. They get to check off a Marvel easter egg by including her, but it could have been more of an event when she appears on the series.

May makes everything better and sparring with Skye can only help to improve Skye as a better SHIELD agent. It's taken me a long time to get behind Skye's transition from outsider to card-carrying agent, so I think moments like these help on the credibility front. I am liking her character more and more, as she's much better in S2 and her inhuman story arc is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmicbimbo
          Jemma drove me nuts with her I was only saying that because of Raina, not Skye. Because it sure did sound like she was generalizing to ALL inhumans.
          I agree. And not even all InHumans but all people with powers. She sounded kind of like Tony Stark and his Registration Act (as in, all powers must be registered so we can keep track on them). Which I can understand as a reaction to what she's seen but I was hoping that it would be a temporary thing. Yes, she was all "but Skye's my friend" but then she also seemed to indicate that she thought Mack was right, that they need to be protected from Skye and other powers. Very disappointed in that...

Originally posted by President_Luthor
          They're going to need attention/focus to further develop their characters and subplots, but at the same time it means less of (for example) May, Coulson, or Ward. I can't begrudge the series for, out of necessity, needing to focus on some of the supporting cast members: they have to give them due attention, if character A or B is going to be on the series beyond one episode. I just wish they would capitalize on these moments and use them more effectively when they do concentrate on them.
          I just wish that they had had more of the newbies interacting with the old team. I mean, yes you have Fitz and Mack but I feel like Hunter and Skye haven't had any screen time together (outside of group stuff) at all. He seems to spend most of his time with Bobbi, which is fine, but part of what might define these new characters is how they interact with the Old Guard, as it were. Example: have Bobbi and Jemma had a conversation alone? I can't remember one. That's part of why I had trouble with the newer ones mourning Tripp as they did. Did they even really get to know him? Cause it didn't feel like they did.

This is precisely why it seems Sif's latest appearance was just okay, nothing spectacular. I liked the Kree subplot, but this story could have existed whether or not Sif was present in the episode.
          This. Sif's role could have been played by nearly anybody. Yes, they needed an "Asguard" character so it could be revealed about the Kree, but this role could have been played by Fandral, Heimdall, any Asguardian really. It felt like a shoehorned way to work in the Kree connection to me and another Sif appearance (which I have no problem with--love Sif but give her a reason for being there!).

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎