No announcement yet.

Why CBS's Supergirl Should Be Superman-less

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gardy1
    Since we are all speculating in general, I think that DC Comics has to start thinking outside the box, or Marvel will continue to wipe the floor with them. You should be able to create a number of series based on new and familiar characters, so I stand by what I posted earlier, that Arrow / Flash / Supergirl should be used as a showcase for all DC properties, similar to the cartoon versions from the last 10 years or so. Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, The Batman, etc. The movies DC comes up with will be great I'm sure, but we're talking many years into the future for most projects. DC should capitalize on the recent interest in TV superheroes, and flood the market, like all of the recent vampire/occult series that have been created for TV. Just my opinion.
    I feel like DC has been doing that very well for the last few years, and as far as the TV realm goes, they currently have four shows on broadcast TV, three of which are doing very well. Marvel has only one at a time. For next season, DC has a lot in development, including Supergirl, I think.

The DC movie area may be lacking a bit.

Now, I do think DC could be more diverse in some of their choices - there are several characters and concepts that have never been done before, that would be great for TV - but we live in a world where Arrow gives us characters like The Atom, Deathstroke, and more, and Flash is giving us Firestorm, and stuff like that... so I don't think DC is slacking at all in TV.

Comment

I agree - DC is doing very well on television, and Marvel only has AoS. But Agent Carter seems like a good show, and the Netflix shows should do very well. I expect the TV field to be very competitive between Marvel and DC for some time to come - good times !

Comment

Yep DC is absoultely owning live action TV right now and just think there's even more to come. I think Marvel's TV programmes are trying to play it safe, they aren't taking a risk in costumed heroes (until Daredevil at least).

I have never been concerned about the movies tbh as I feel the Marvel films though enjoyable are all stuck in the same formula and I really didn't want DC to fall into that trap. Whereas the DC efforts Dark Knight Trilogy, Man of Steel (obviously not including Green Lantern and to some extent Superman Returns) have all been top top movies and haven't felt stuck in a simple forumla.

As for diversity in TV I think Supergirl is likely to give us something different and I can't wait. Really excited for this one.
        Last edited by Stebob1984; 01-09-2015, 12:54 AM.

Comment

I'm really looking forward to the new Supergirl series. I'd been thinking that the female superhero market has been underserved. Supergirl's story, as I can remember, has never really been told fully. Maybe she'd have a much different perspective from Superman. With the popularity of other female heroes like Katniss from Hunger Games, etc. one would hope that Supergirl would be an immediate hit. My favorite new DC Comics series is the Flash. I think that Supergirl should follow that show's format closely, meaning that Barry is fun, tough, heroic, has a sense of humor, and some currently unrequited love. Gotham, frankly, I don't really like. It's mean-spirited, perverse, etc. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by gardy1
            I'm really looking forward to the new Supergirl series. I'd been thinking that the female superhero market has been underserved. Supergirl's story, as I can remember, has never really been told fully. Maybe she'd have a much different perspective from Superman. With the popularity of other female heroes like Katniss from Hunger Games, etc. one would hope that Supergirl would be an immediate hit. My favorite new DC Comics series is the Flash. I think that Supergirl should follow that show's format closely, meaning that Barry is fun, tough, heroic, has a sense of humor, and some currently unrequited love. Gotham, frankly, I don't really like. It's mean-spirited, perverse, etc. Just my opinion.
            Yeah I want another fun superhero show, getting abit sick of dark and gritty tbh. Supergirl is perfectly primed to be fun and hopeful.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎