Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why CBS's Supergirl Should Be Superman-less

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ I don't see the logic in trying to use the way that WB/DC have behaved in the past as an indicator of how they're going to behave in the future, particularly when we have clear evidence that they're more than willing to allow multiple versions of their characters - including their most prominent ones - to appear in multiple mediums.

Comment

Originally posted by DigificWriter
      ^ I don't see the logic in trying to use the way that WB/DC have behaved in the past as an indicator of how they're going to behave in the future, particularly when we have clear evidence that they're more than willing to allow multiple versions of their characters - including their most prominent ones - to appear in multiple mediums.
      The past is all we have to go on though, they still aren't allowing certain characters to appear on TV who are likely to be in upcoming films i.e. Ted Kord. I think knowing what WBs has been like is enough to make me doubt certain things. As I said we shall have to wait and see.

Comment

If you agree with my idea to introduce Braignac . Maybe you agree to see later in the serie one or two other exiled Kryptonians no?

Comment

I'd be cool with that maybe give us some we haven't seen before in live action.

Comment

Originally posted by Stebob1984
            The past is all we have to go on though, they still aren't allowing certain characters to appear on TV who are likely to be in upcoming films i.e. Ted Kord. I think knowing what WBs has been like is enough to make me doubt certain things. As I said we shall have to wait and see.
            They were allowed to reference Kord but not show him, and given the fact that we're very soon going to have both filmic and television versions of Barry Allen, Bruce Wayne, Alfred Pennyworth, and Deadshot, the assumption that Kord is embargoed because he's going to appear on film doesn't really make sense logically.

Yes, Kord has been embargoed for some reason, but that is an outlier situation right now, and therefore shouldn't really be looked at as a barometer for what characters this Supergirl series may or may not be allowed to use.

Comment

I think the reason Ted Kord wasn't allowed on Arrow was because they were planning on using him on another show.

They might be able to use him if that show he is in ends up existing in the same universe.

Comment

^ Even that explanation doesn't really 'track' given the fact that Titans is using Nightwing and Arrow has used Ra's al Ghul, Nyssa al Ghul, Firefly, and Dollmaker even though, as noted, Gotham and FOX have licensed for themselves access to those characters as well (not to mention anything and everything else having to do with the Batman property).
                Last edited by DigificWriter; 01-07-2015, 10:15 AM.

Comment

They were allowed to reference Kord but not show him, and given the fact that we're very soon going to have both filmic and television versions of Barry Allen, Bruce Wayne, Alfred Pennyworth, and Deadshot, the assumption that Kord is embargoed because he's going to appear on film doesn't really make sense logically.

Yes, Kord has been embargoed for some reason, but that is an outlier situation right now, and therefore shouldn't really be looked at as a barometer for what characters this Supergirl series may or may not be allowed to use.
                  I personally feel the use of the Flash, Suicide Squad etc is to get them out there in the public conscience so that they can do the film's and people won't be like who is this. Also we don't know if the movie version of the Flash is Barry Allen.

The Gotham characters are only allowed for the same reason the Smallville characters were when Superman Returns was made. The characters in Gotham are versions of the characters before they are there full comic book versions as they would be in the film's.

Again we don't know yet if WBs will or won't allow certain things down the line until these situations arise.

As I said I'm merely speculating you know as much as I do at this point.

Comment

Also we don't know if the movie version of the Flash is Barry Allen.
                    Yes, we do.

Here's the official Hollywood Reporter report on Ezra Miller's casting (emphasis added by me):
                    The Flash will make his way to the big screen in 2018, with actor Ezra Miller taking on the lead role.

During Time Warner's earnings meeting Wednesday, Warner Bros. chairman Kevin Tsujihara announced that the studio would be making a feature about the comic book superhero starring the Perks of Being a Wallflower actor.

The story centers on Barry Allen, a man with super-speed and super-fast reflexes.

The CW recently launched the TV series The Flash, starring Grant Gustin. The show has been a big hit for the network, with the premiere episode marking The CW's highest-rated opener since The Vampire Diaries in 2009.

But Warner Bros. is recasting for its big screen project. The move indicated that there do not seem to be plans for have actors from The CW shows cross over into the big-screen versions. Several Suicide Squad characters have appeared on The CW's other popular DC Comics' show, Arrow, but those roles will likely also be recast for the Flash film.

Tsujihara officially announced a slew of DC projects including Suicide Squad (2016), Wonder Woman (2017), Justice League Part One (2017), Aquaman (2018), Shazam (2019), Justice League Part Two (2019), Cyborg (2020) and Green Lantern (2020).

Miller did memorable work in the drama We Need to Talk About Kevin and YA adaptation Perks. His upcoming films include Judd Apatow’s Trainwreck and indie The Stanford Prison Experiment. He's repped by Paradigm and Peikoff Mahan.
                    You might be speculating, but you're speculating based on an outdated modus operandi that doesn't match what is currently happening relative to how WB/DC is treating its various character/comic properties in terms of adaptations and access to characters, which doesn't make much sense.

Comment

That's not official from Warner Brothers and there is no script yet, we will see exactly which Flash he is playing when DC officially announce it.

Comment

Actually I have no problem with Supes being mentioned- as long as we never see him. Think about it- establishing him in the background can really HELP the show. If they create her character from the New 52 elements, then anger will be part of her... we already know the show will start with her established on earth and knows how to hide her abilities. Something makes her decide to step out into the light. So she'll have to deal with the obvious fear etc of her revealing herself. That's going to generate a bunch of resentment in her... now imagine if a couple days before she reveals.. Man of Steel happens! NOW she'll have to deal with her possibly being branded a copycat, being always compared to him.. AND depending on how they write it.. the fact that she's not the only survivor and how much HE knew... To me that's storyline gold if they write it right.

Comment

This show is not going to have anything whatsoever to do with Man of Steel. It's a completely separate reality.

Comment

This show is not going to have anything whatsoever to do with Man of Steel. It's a completely separate reality.
                            I don't think it is fair to make any definitive statements of what they will or will not do until the show happens, unless it's something that has been officially reported like character descriptions or Greg Berlanti saying crossovers are possible etc. (And even then, "crossovers are possible" doesn't mean they will happen.)

Comment

Originally posted by baron de suberbielle
                              If you agree with my idea to introduce Braignac . Maybe you agree to see later in the serie one or two other exiled Kryptonians no?
                              First we need to spell his name right - Brainiac. But yes, I would expect to see Brainiac at some point in a show about Supergirl.

Comment

That's not official from Warner Brothers and there is no script yet, we will see exactly which Flash he is playing when DC officially announce it.
                                That's a good point, though in THIS case it is possible THR went off of a press release from Warner Bros., in which case it would be accurate.

I do know that last year, TheWrap reported that Caity Lotz would be cast as Black Canary on Arrow, but they said her alter ego was "Dinah Drake," which freaked out some people including Katie Cassidy, who thought she was getting replaced. In that case, though, the studio never confirmed the report with them (as far as I know) so they were just making conjecture and assuming that was the case - just like one would assume the movie Flash was Barry Allen.

With that said...

I think it's a different thing if a TV version of a character comes first, BEFORE a movie is announced. I'm not sure Arrow could play out the Suicide Squad now that a movie is on the way, but since it was before the movie announcement, it worked. If a for-sure Flash movie was greenlit, I'm not sure a Flash TV series could have happened, either. Why would people watch in movies what they can see on TV for free?

At least with Gotham it's a sort-of prequel.

But that's just my opinion, and opinions are allowed here, even if they are ridiculous, so please, people: Respect each other, don't be condescending. We're all fans, and that's cool!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎