No announcement yet.

2011-2014 comic book movies by DVD/BluRay sales

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011-2014 comic book movies by DVD/BluRay sales

I post the domestic DVD+BluRay sales from the website DVD by the Numbers for all CBM and CBM-related movies that I noticed. Let me know if I missed one. If I could post the international numbers I could as those are meaningful, but I could not find them.

What trends do you notice? What exceptions?

Before analysing, bear in mind that some movies show up in multiple years, because they have good longevity.

Actually, since I have the information at my fingertips.

2014 DVD+BluRay sales for CBMs and CBM-related films
    Rank --- Name --- Units Sold in millions
    3, The Lego Movie, 4.55
    5, Thor: The Dark World, 3.49
    6, Transformers: Age of Extinction, 3.42
    13, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, 2.66
    14, X-Men: Days of Future Past, 2.63
    16, The Amazing Spider Man 2, 2.61
    22, 300: Rise of an Empire, 1.71
    43, The Edge of Tomorrow, 1.07
    46, Man of Steel, 1.02
    48, The Wolverine, 1.00
    62, Robocop, 0.85
    82, Red 2, 0.66

2013 DVD+BluRay sales for CBMs and CBM-related films
    8, Man of Steel, 4.61
    15, The Wolverine, 3.40
    28, Iron Man 3, 2.64
    32, GI Joe: Retaliation, 2.09
    34, Red 2, 2.05
    35, The Dark Knight Rises, 2.04
    44, Oblivion, 1.53
    76, Dredd, 0.98
    78, The Avengers, 0.96

2012 DVD+BluRay sales for CBMs and CBM-related films
    2, The Avengers, 9.46
    4, The Dark Knight Rises, 7.66
    11, The Amazing Spider Man, 3.11
    20, Men in Black 3, 2.25
    23, Prometheus, 2.17
    38, The Dark Knight, 1.63
    48, Batman Begins, 1.44
    50, The Dark Knight Trilogy, 1.41
    62, Captain America 1, 1.17
    68, Thor, 1.13
    88, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, 0.87

2011 DVD+BluRay sales for CBMs and CBM-related films
    5, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, 4.77
    13, Red, 3.36
    17, Captain America: The First Avenger, 2.81
    18, X-Men: First Class, 2.67
    25, Thor, 2.27
    32, Green Lantern, 2.13
    51, The Green Hornet, 1.45
    80, The Dark Knight, 1.03
    95, Sucker Punch, 0.90
    Last edited by DA_Champion; 01-03-2015, 07:19 PM.

The Lego Movie made a lot of money and was really popular and still didn't break 5. Tells me that the 7.66 and 9.46 are really special from TDKR and The Avengers respectively.

Cap:TWS' 2.66 seems very disappointing. That's DOWN from the first one, although it did beat IM3. The Wolverine beat both of them. I'm wondering if 2015 numbers adjust these totals significantly.

The Wolverine did REALLY well, actually.

Comment

I wonder how digital copy sales stack up versus hard copies such as DVD /blu-rays.. I am also curious if releasing the dvds around New year's/ Christmas effect supposed longevity.

I would say out of the ones on the list, batman begins in the most impressive sales wise. I wounded if it was some special edition release or just because of the dark knight rises.

Comment

I doubt digital only sales are huge money right now. I could be wrong, but I think a lot of people still enjoy having the shelf candy and don't trust that the digital only version will always be there and accessible. Plus, a lot of the DVD/Blu packs include a digital copy download anyway.

But it's a good question.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
          I doubt digital only sales are huge money right now. I could be wrong, but I think a lot of people still enjoy having the shelf candy and don't trust that the digital only version will always be there and accessible. Plus, a lot of the DVD/Blu packs include a digital copy download anyway.

But it's a good question.
          Well Marvel stopped doing blu-ray dvd packs post Avengers. Yes ultraviolet downloads are included on some of these, but it is time consuming and sometimes even requires extra fees.

As far as digital sales, you would be surprised especially given the lack of bonus material some of the movies coming out with on dvd. I have friends who don't even bother with disc and just use netflix or other number of websites with digital downloading.

Comment

Originally posted by Degobunny
            Well Marvel stopped doing blu-ray dvd packs post Avengers. Yes ultraviolet downloads are included on some of these, but it is time consuming and sometimes even requires extra fees.

As far as digital sales, you would be surprised especially given the lack of bonus material some of the movies coming out with on dvd. I have friends who don't even bother with disc and just use netflix or other number of websites with digital downloading.
            You might be right. I'm only basing this on my own personal experience and not on any real research I've done. Most people I know who see a movie and want to own it go out and buy a physical copy. They don't just download it to their iPad or something.

But again, you could be very right, and those numbers might surprise me. I will say that I wouldn't expect the ratios of those numbers to vary wildly from the DVD/Blu numbers. In other words, if Movie A makes 2:1 what Movie B makes in DVD sales, I would expect the digital downloads to also be 2:1.
            Last edited by Backward Galaxy; 01-12-2015, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
              You might be right. I'm only basing this on my own personal experience and not on any real research I've done. Most people I know who see a movie and want to own it go out and buy a physical copy. They don't just download it to their iPad or something.

But again, you could be very right, and those numbers might surprise me. I will say that I wouldn't expect the ratios of those numbers to vary wildly from the DVD/Blu numbers. In other words, if Movie A makes 2:1 what Movie B makes in DVD sales, I would expect the digital downloads to also be 2:1.
              Just came across this on deadline today, It is discussing the decline of home video spending.

Streaming services led by Netflix, plus time shifting, hurt home entertainment spending far more in 2014 than you would have thought from last week’s year-end report from DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group – and will continue to damage the industry in 2015 – MoffettNathanson Research’s Michael Nathanson says this morning in a bracing examination of the trade group’s numbers. Indeed, […]

Comment

Yeah, I don't know what you do with Netflix and Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime. Those contracts must be so weird, especially now that they're all creating original content.

Comment

Thanks for share the post with us.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎