Loved It? Hated it? What did you think of "A Tale Of Two Sisters?"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The CGI and green screen has always had moments of shakiness but the premiere was was brutal in that regard, I can enjoy the cheesiness as it brings me amusement but it was like they got the assets from Disney's Animation division and then didn't have the budget to adapt them to look like they fit in a "real world" setting... Or maybe Disney wouldn't allow them to tamper with the design. The snow giant dude and rock troll daddy just looked way too cartoony. It was IMO 2014 TV CGI standards bad.

Interested where they'll be taking the Elsa story, I don't hate like some seem to that they're jumping on the Frozen bandwagon ratings ploy but I hope they do something interesting with it and it's more like S3B than S3A.

Originally posted by superhippie2000
    Maybe Yen Sid wrote the book and both stories will connect to each other. Perhaps Yen Sid will be a part in season 5.
    I'm 100% certain Yen Sid will be the one responsible for the book, it just makes sense, especially since Walt Disney is long dead and these "happy endings" are largely his fault.
    Last edited by PHOENIXZERO; 10-02-2014, 08:00 PM.

Comment

In anticipation I'd felt the introduction of the Frozen world a stretch for two reasons:
      1.) This show typically only took appearances, costumes and happy endings from Disney whereas Frozen is being kept faithful without an original twist. Something intentional by the way as they'd been too amazed by the film as it was to alter it.
      2.) Considering some of the inhuman characters didn't seem translatable from animation to a live action portrayal.
      I actually felt the film wasn't as well done as it was hyped up to be, there were several plot holes and lack of backstory and that is one thing I appreciate about the Once portrayal. Some of those plot holes are being filled in. Their use of the King and Queen's journey on which they had died which had never been explained was very clever.
      As for the non human characters that they'd brought, I didn't think it was possible so they heavily surprised me and I'll grant that it does look like they pulled Grand Pabbie especially right out of the film but I thought it worked. They mixed pretty well with the live action settings. One can't have expected any better execution with these characters.

The casting of the human characters was iffy but I felt there were a few facial feature shapes such as Anna's big round eyes that just weren't realistic and thus couldn't be found on an actual human being. So I do believe they did well with what was possible to work with.
      Has anyone seen this:

Hands down Hans got the best casting and I'm looking forward to seeing him.

Looking at our familiar characters, it made me mad that Emma was so careless and idiotic with Marian. Having nearly erased her own existence should have been a message to her that the past can not be tampered with. Cheating death is a sin against nature and thus there are always consequences even if they aren't immediately obvious. It was difficult for Robin Hood to lose Marian but he got passed it and on with his life. He didn't need her back. All bringing her to Storybrook did was disrupt someone's present. While I don't agree with the execution after they'd spent so much time building Regina and Robin Hood up and I'm a little biased as I'm rooting for them, they probably intended to give her a reason to revert back to Evil Queen mode and this I admit makes sense. She can't just stop being the Evil Queen, that persona is important to the plot but I appreciate that they didn't just instantly snap her back like the off switch word in a hypnosis spell but rather have her conflicting with it. The end when she defeated Elsa's guardian snowman suggested that she may even want to attempt to get along with Marian as that had seemed an awful lot like a desire to gain her trust. Though knowing Regina that very angle could also be deception. I'd really felt for her when Robin Hood told her that he had to stick to his values and stay loyal to his marriage. Regina may need to be the Evil Queen on some level but I still believe she deserves to be happy and that he is good for her.

Now Belle and Rumple is a story that I'd been into but now am unsettled by. Since Rumple pulled that dirty trick with Zelina and the fake dagger I'd been unhappy with him but do appreciate that in this episode he'd shown remorse and acknowledged the error of the fact that he lied to Belle. So perhaps there is hope for them but I hope she finds out what he did and rips him a new one first.

I hope we are threw with all these characters dying and coming back or being faked out when we thought a character died. That had gotten to kind of a ridiculous level last season. Though I did appreciate that Rumple was the one to take out Pan/his own father, kind of a poetic sacrifice it wasn't exactly unpredictable that he was resurrected. I'm pretty sure we all knew that wasn't the end of him and that was the ridiculous part.

So overall I wasn't at all disappointed and look forward to the rest of the season.

Originally posted by PHOENIXZERO

I'm 100% certain Yen Sid will be the one responsible for the book, it just makes sense, especially since Walt Disney is long dead and these "happy endings" are largely his fault.
      Not true. Have you even read the original and/or earlier versions of the fairytales? A lot of them do end happily and some in this show are certainly not from Disney such as Snow White having to overthrow the evil queen after being woken from her curse by the prince and Marian having been killed (originally).
      So I predict the Grimm brothers who are most famously known for their versions of the tales though they are not the originals in most cases who will be appearing as the authors of Henry's fairytale book.

Yen Sid is however sure to make an appearance none the less as Rumple had discovered his hat from the film Fantasia in his and Belle's abandoned Honeymoon hut.

If you are interested in a sneak peak of this Sunday's episode they've released a clip here:
      WARNING CLICK AT YOUR OWN EXPOSURE! If you fear being spoiled you may want to avoid this!

All I shall say is that this presents an interesting new challenge for Mary Margret's character.
      Last edited by Darkness Within; 10-02-2014, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkness Within

Not true. Have you even read the original and/or earlier versions of the fairytales? A lot of them do end happily and some in this show are certainly not from Disney such as Snow White having to overthrow the evil queen after being woken from her curse by the prince and Marian having been killed (originally).
        So I predict the Grimm brothers who are most famously known for their versions of the tales though they are not the originals in most cases who will be appearing as the authors of Henry's fairytale book.

Yen Sid is however sure to make an appearance none the less as Rumple had discovered his hat from the film Fantasia in his and Belle's abandoned Honeymoon hut.
        It's been 20 or so years since I read a lot of them and I do have issues getting the stories mixed. Was the end of the Grimm Brothers version of Snow White all that happy for the Queen? You know, the part where she dead after being forced to dance in red hot iron shoes. The Grimm version didn't have a seven year old Snow White (the age she was in their version until maybe after she was awoken) fighting the Queen either. Okay so maybe not all the happy endings are from Disney and those after him certainly lightened the stories up and "Happy Endings" is still what Disney is known for and that's the point. Oh and yeah and Robin Hood isn't a Fox and so on, whatever. It's not a 1 for 1 retelling of the Disney version of the fairy tales and it's not a 1 for 1 retelling of the other/original versions of the stories either. I doubt they're going to use real people who have been dead for over 150 years as the source of the book, especially if we were going to go by the Brothers Grimm version of the story Regina would be dead. Yen Sid makes more sense IMO, especially seeing this is a show produced by Disney and the book encompasses more than just stories told by the Brothers Grimm. Yen Sid being an analog for Walt Disney makes a lot more sense along with tying it in with whatever they're doing with Rumple and Belle.

Comment

It's been 20 or so years since I read a lot of them and I do have issues getting the stories mixed. Was the end of the Grimm Brothers version of Snow White all that happy for the Queen?
          No but that is the aim here, Regina wants to change her ending so that it is.

The Grimm version didn't have a seven year old Snow White (the age she was in their version until maybe after she was awoken)
          Obviously she aged while lying in the coffin, while in early centuries folks did marry young I doubt it was ever below the age of sixteen. So there is no way she was still seven in the end as it had ended with her marrying the prince.

I doubt they're going to use real people who have been dead for over 150 years as the source of the book
          Have you actually been watching this show? Time travel!
          Besides Walt Disney's been dead for decades! Yen Sid may have been designed to be a version of him but he's still fictional.

if we were going to go by the Brothers Grimm version of the story Regina would be dead.

If memory serves the queen died in the Disney film as well, in fact most of the time the villains die in Disney because that's how the protagonists win and get their Happily Ever After.

Alright it's true this series isn't following Grimm Brothers but neither are they following Disney exactly, in fact most of Once's happy endings are not the way they were written in Disney. Some of them use the same basic idea but the execution is different. The way the stories are told here they use the Disney versions of the characters but put them in a darker atmosphere.

So who knows. Maybe it shall be Yen Sid. I was just looking at it from a logical viewpoint, Disney wasn't original. Then again neither were the Grimm Brothers with some of their tales. I know for a fact that they are not the original writers of Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. Sleeping Beauty actually has several versions. Some of which however the Disney film mimics pretty well.

Comment

That's the thing, I don't believe they're going to go the time travel route again considering how much effort it took for Zelena to cast that spell last season and the mess that it caused, it'd be kind of cheap to go and try it again. This being a Disney Company production and Walt being dead for almost 50 years is precisely why I think they're going to use Yen Sid, if its going to be anyone they're going to make responsible for it all they'll probably keep it in the family so to speak... Of course now watch as Yen Sid ends up being an ancestor to somebody or a bunch of characters.

Girls were also married off pretty much after they started ovulating in the middle ages and even earlier in some places, hell it's still happening today in certain countries. Snow White was said to be "dead" for years so I do assume she still aged during that time. I don't remember the queen dying in the Disney version but I guess she did but under very different circumstances, falling off a cliff after a lightning strike shortly after Snow White was poisoned.

Comment

Loved the dance with Belle and Rumple.

Can't say I'm very interested in the plot with the Frozen characters. I've never seen the film and the whole thing feels more like checking off some characters from the Disney library.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎