No announcement yet.

Suicide Squad (2016)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suicide Squad (2016)

With several unnamed DC Comic films already slated for release through 2020, it looks like one of those pics has been unveiled.

Sources tell Variety that “Fury” director David Ayer is the choice to direct “Suicide Squad,” based on the DC comic book series.

It is unknown where things stand in the dealmaking process as Warners would not comment, but sources say the studio feels Ayer is a good fit for the dark and edgy film.

Dan Lin is producing the pic from a script by Justin Marks.

The group doesn’t include any major DC supervillains like the Joker or Lex Luthor, but the characters will likely have an opportunity to cross over between other DC properties and vice versa for non-Suicide Squad members appearing in this film.
    With several unnamed DC Comic films already slated for release through 2020, it looks like one of those pics has been unveiled. Sources tell Variety that “Fury” director David Ayer is the choice to direct “Suicide Squad,” based on the DC comic book series. It is unknown where things stand in the dealmaking process as […]
    Last edited by WickedJenn; 07-22-2016, 07:47 PM.

This was expected it's going to be one of their lower budget movies I think.

There's been so many members of the Suicide Squad that we could get anyone really. I'd presume the key characters are Amanda Waller and Checkmate, Deadshot, Harley Quinn (ties into Batman solo movie perhaps) King Shark perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by maasaloo
      This was expected it's going to be one of their lower budget movies I think.

There's been so many members of the Suicide Squad that we could get anyone really. I'd presume the key characters are Amanda Waller and Checkmate, Deadshot, Harley Quinn (ties into Batman solo movie perhaps) King Shark perhaps.
      Agreed with everything, and I would add Deathstroke to the list as well. He has a lot of exposure as a character lately, and they might want to capitalize on that. Plus, he would add some more ties to Batman as well.

Comment

Not much of a surprise though I do find it curious as to why WB was happy to have them as a part of Arrow as well as getting a movie but wouldn't allow Ted Kord to be in Arrow given their 'other plans' for the character.

Comment

I hope they do it just like Assault On Arkham.... watching that a week or two ago, I was thinking it would make an awesome live action movie. And I have been hoping for villain-centric movies for a long, long time.

Comment

It's going to be hard to make it as good as Sinister Six, as that's going to be written and directed by Drew Goddard.

Comment

Originally posted by DA_Champion
              It's going to be hard to make it as good as Sinister Six, as that's going to be written and directed by Drew Goddard.
              I like Drew Goddard and am hoping for the best, but not sure that S6 will be that hard to surpass... The TASM universe is kind of lacking at the moment and not sure the villains are compelling enough at this point either, despite TASM 2' best efforts.

Suicide Squad has another advantage in that they can tell their own story, since they are a group of villains (but not necessarily always) that are sent off on missions for the government (pretty cool story in itself), usually to stop other villains. The S6 is a bit pigeonholed in that any story they tell likely has to be based on fighting Spiderman, and thats about it. So I think that the Squad movie might have a lot more going for it than Sinister 6.

Hoping both are awesome though, and usher in a new age of villain character movies.

Comment

I wonder if we'll see a Secret Six movie at one point though it may be too similar to Suicide Squad.

Comment

http://deadline.com/2014/10/will-smi...r-bros-853364/

Will Smith and Tom Hardy are circling the film and are now "close to signing on". Margot Robbie is also looking likely for Suicide Squad.

Let the speculation begin as to whom they're playing.

Comment

Will Smith and Tom Hardy are circling the film and are now "close to signing on". Margot Robbie is also looking likely for Suicide Squad.

I think the most obvious would have to be Deadshot for Hardy and Bronze Tiger for Smith

Comment

I am surprised Harley Quinn & Joker don't get their own movie.

Comment

David Ayer on Suicide Squad:

“Fury whetted my appetite for a bigger canvas and this idea of world creation,” he told Empire. “You can do amazing things as a filmmaker if you have the proper tools, and those are time and money.”

“I can say that it’s a Dirty Dozen with supervillains,” he said. “Then I can ask the question, ‘Does a movie really need good guys?’”

Maybe not, and on paper at least, Suicide Squad’s bad guys, antipodean asshat Captain Boomerang especially, can be an unsavory bunch. So how do you go about casting an Australian racist? “Like one would cast any other role,” Ayer rebutted. “I don’t know what I’m going to do. I’m going to do what I do in my typical fever dream of directing.”

It may be a departure from the gritty, real-world settings he's delved into so far in his career, but Ayer is relishing the leap into the comic-book galaxy. “I love the passion [comic-book fans] have for these characters and these worlds. I think there’s something incredible about the comic genre and technology has finally caught up with pen and ink to render these fantastic worlds in a way that feels believable and visceral to audiences. It’s a secular religion in that regards. The mythology that these characters represent – the idea of them as fallen gods on Earth – is intriguing to me. I can’t wait to start exploring those corridors.”

Comment

EXCLUSIVE: On the DC Comics-heavy slate that Warner Bros laid out for Wall Street last week, the film Suicide Squad was the only one lacking a clear identification to the superhero-themed franchises that will dominate the slate through 2020. That might change. I hear that Warner Bros is in discussions with Jesse Eisenberg to take […]

Deadline is reporting that Jesse Eisenberg is in talks to reprise his role of Lex Luthor in Suicide Squad.

Comment

That's a great move on behalf of WB/DC. Lex going head to head with Amanda Waller and Checkmate.

Comment

I just don't see it with Eisenberg. I just don't see it.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎